Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 86853 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water (was LFG ATX)
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »
I'll check when I get home but I  can't access gmail or such form work...damn web-site blocks....8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2011, 09:35:06 PM »
I have boffer fighting practice tonight, but after I get back home I will be posting Ashley's character and mine to the google thingie.

I think I may also make a list for Ian of both characters' aspects and a few ways they could be compelled negatively and positively just to give them a little bit of context.

I think part of the reason aspects haven't come into play as much yet (Ian correct me if I'm wrong here) is that the GM is still starting the story and establishing how we all know each other.  This requires doing certain things to make sure we all eventually meet and actually know who each other are.

As for aspect compels, since we all agree that we should be using them more, let's just start looking for ways to use them in the next game.

Also, how does everyone feel about using the optional Spin rules?  Basically it means if you're rolling on defense or some other roll where the excess of a fantastic roll isn't immediately used, you get a temporary aspect that you can tag on your next offensive or benefitting roll.

For instance, if someone takes a swing at Melon and she dodges by more than 2 or 3 excess (up to Ian), it could put her in a very advantageous position or the opponent in a bad position which would thematically justify a +2 tag to her next attack.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2011, 02:41:29 AM »
Okay I sent out invites to the Obsidian Portal Thingy, It looks pretty cool but for the fact that posting anything I have in tables will be a pain. One of the things I really dislike about web-format work...Once I figure out how to get my table formatted over...anyone know html?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:56 AM »
Okay I sent out invites to the Obsidian Portal Thingy, It looks pretty cool but for the fact that posting anything I have in tables will be a pain. One of the things I really dislike about web-format work...Once I figure out how to get my table formatted over...anyone know html?

It actually does look pretty cool.  It looks like a neat tool.

I like that I've been able to compile all of my character stuff in one place.

I also like the wiki option and the place for recaps.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2011, 05:28:16 AM »
It actually does look pretty cool.  It looks like a neat tool.

I like that I've been able to compile all of my character stuff in one place.

I also like the wiki option and the place for recaps.
agreed!

I put up a bunch of stuff on my character. still working stuff out. Everytime I crack the book and get something done on this, some crazy random bullcrap pops up.

Also I am using my wifes MAC and ugh, I dont like Macs. I also cant get to this forum from her mac because it says my ip address is banned (???????????)

I really like the character stuff being in one place, I'm bad with names to begin with, so calling people Limo Lady, Bald Steve  :o, FBI Guy (or as my wife has been saying "Booth-ey") Pirate guy, and Joe vs the Volcano (I kid, I kid) is getting old for me.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Pic of my character
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2011, 06:59:22 AM »
Mike found a pretty cool pic of his character, so I had Ashley make one for me.

Offline Funge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »
I got the Obsidian Portal invite and now it's being picky with my account and claims, hilariously, the invite isn't for me.  I think it might be because I already had an OP account that was linked to a different email address, but it still doesn't work even after I switch it over to the correct email.  Googling the error message leads me to believe that it'll work once Ian sends an invite to my OP account itself and leaves email out of it.  I sent an email your way, Ian.  So I won't be able to contribute anything until probably after work tomorrow, which sucks.

I think part of the reason aspects haven't come into play as much yet (Ian correct me if I'm wrong here) is that the GM is still starting the story and establishing how we all know each other.  This requires doing certain things to make sure we all eventually meet and actually know who each other are.

As for aspect compels, since we all agree that we should be using them more, let's just start looking for ways to use them in the next game.

It's especially hard in the first session when the GM can't possibly have up to seven different aspects for EIGHT different characters memorized.  I was mostly just saying I think the players themselves should be on the look out for places to point out good opportunities for compels.  "Can I get a fate point if I ruin negotiations with the well-armed, jumpy men with hair triggers by playing up my Shifty-Looking aspect?"  That sort of thing.

Also, how does everyone feel about using the optional Spin rules?  Basically it means if you're rolling on defense or some other roll where the excess of a fantastic roll isn't immediately used, you get a temporary aspect that you can tag on your next offensive or benefitting roll.

For instance, if someone takes a swing at Melon and she dodges by more than 2 or 3 excess (up to Ian), it could put her in a very advantageous position or the opponent in a bad position which would thematically justify a +2 tag to her next attack.

Sounds fun to me.  GM?

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
I canceled the email invite then re-sent to your OP name.

I think we will probably incorporate the "spin" rules eventually but first we have to get used to the base rules.
As it stands I've already been using "spin" to a degree on information gathering by providing more information on rolls that exceed the base target number. Hence why when the Driver and the Agent both made contacts rolls she got a bit more info than he did as she got a one-degree better success. In that case since they likely used similar, and maybe even some of the same, contacts if there had been different information available then they would have gotten different info. But there was only so much info to be had. 

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »
I canceled the email invite then re-sent to your OP name.

I think we will probably incorporate the "spin" rules eventually but first we have to get used to the base rules.
As it stands I've already been using "spin" to a degree on information gathering by providing more information on rolls that exceed the base target number. Hence why when the Driver and the Agent both made contacts rolls she got a bit more info than he did as she got a one-degree better success. In that case since they likely used similar, and maybe even some of the same, contacts if there had been different information available then they would have gotten different info. But there was only so much info to be had. 

IIRC, spin has more to do with social and physical combat than alertness or investigation/empathy rolls.

Spin generally is generated on defense rolls - like rolling discipline against a social attack or rolling athletics against gunfire, etc.

I don't think that info rolls would be applicable.

Once again, IIRC, what you're doing for information rolls is 100% correct and how the fate system is supposed to work.

Spin would only really take effect during some kind of combat or activity where stress has to be avoided.  I will find the reference for it tomorrow and post it up here.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
Well as GM I will over-rule that limitation here and now...I can do that...8)
It doesn't really affect much anyway and I think it will make things more interesting.

Offline Funge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
The re-invite worked.  In my limited time before I've got to head back to class, I created a few NPC pages.  Guys, feel free to add to them (my notes, recollection and time being limited), correct things, put up more, etc.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
Well as GM I will over-rule that limitation here and now...I can do that...8)
It doesn't really affect much anyway and I think it will make things more interesting.

Sounds good to me!

You won't hear me arguing against MORE flavor or unpredictability!  :)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Pic of my character
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »
Mike found a pretty cool pic of his character, so I had Ashley make one for me.

sweet

Offline Malkyne

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 27, 2011, 12:48:28 AM »
I made this picture of Gloria:

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 27, 2011, 01:04:41 AM »
Does everyone have photoshoppe but me?

I do have ms paint