Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 86879 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water (was LFG ATX)
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
This was my first real exposure to How an Rpg game is played and how aspects,  dice rolling ext all fit into a game. So I was impressed by the level of freedom you could exercise while still being "In the rules ".
I think ill stick to "....and then I shot it" until I understand more  :D

Just need to do my 3x3x3. Fix character math ( thanks again for helping me)also thanks to everyone for being so patient with me. Im kinda a shy guy so I don't mean to be stand offish or awkward.

This next time I have the full time for the day.  Where are we playing? I thought I heard Zs. House but then I thought he said he was out of town? My hearing is crap.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
It will be my house. Im in the DFW area again on Saturday and gone all weekend two weekends after. I will email out the map to my place later this week.
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
That was probably the best start to a game I've ever had! I already had much more material written...well rough outline anyway of events, and I made some modifications as the session progressed. I'm sorta kinda planning to do each game as a "Book" with the end of each book being a Major Milestone. I think I have enough materials for at least two more sessions at the current rate of progression. As we finish lesser chapters there will be minor milestones.

In all I think it was a great session for learning the basics of the system including combat, which was kind of the purpose of the Gator Attacks...though I should have gone with three gators after all, just to make things...interesting...8) But in all seriousness I had planned in advance who would be out there for the fight and suspected there would be more than enough firepower and I was right.

There are a few things we will have to work on;
- Fluid Seating arrangements; there was a fair amount of cross-talk which was good as it kept people busy talking and exchanging info but it made it hard to hear. For future reference it'll be easier if those that need to talk independently step away form the table to cut down the confusion and volume, I'm more than happy to go with if needed and I may occasionally take folks aside for private discussion.

- Tess, I'm going to go ahead ahead suggest a change of Trouble for you. Being constantly broke does not reflect well on Gloria's professionalism and given the number of high-profile and rich clients there's really no way she'd be broke unless she has a gambling addiction. We also need to work on some way to get you more actively involved in the group and I think I may have a way to do that.

- Melon, need to find a reason for her to get more actively involved too. Maybe some additional hobbies to support the photography that could be useful; scholarship or investigation. Maybe working for the paper on the side as a cub reporter or writing a blog. Something to give her a reason to be on-scene other than just photography. Hrmm come to think of it a reporter and crime-scene photographer may not work...oh here we go, CSI! She works in the actual police lab. Will need some science and scholarly skills but it would be an addition.

I think everyone else is fine as is, but lets go ahead and consider the middle of this session to be a minor milestone for everyone so y'all can swap skills around a bit and some powers.

Lessons learned: Awareness and Investigation are VERY Important skills...Sadly no-one at the Everglades scene had any investigative skills so you missed out fully one one clue and didn't look too closely at another. Luckily if no one reports the scene it won't be found for quite awhile so y'all can always go back to investigate it more thoroughly with better-trained eyes.

- Tess and Jason, if you all like we can either get together or talk via mail etc about what your characters will be doing while you all are gone this weekend and maybe during the following week get together and play out what you did so you will be caught up. I'll plan to do the same for others that miss sessions as well.

Note to All: Starting in the middle of February until the beginning week of march I will begin moving out of my current apt into a friends house so there MAY be a weekend we will not have a session, we'll have to see how it goes. Help is welcome too...8)
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
fyi: I just finished writing out the Outline for the Campaign Arc and its going to take place in three "Books" and just as a Teaser here's the Titles;

"Blood in the Water" (but you already knew that)
"A Dirty Black Summer"
"Monsters at the Gate"

...8)

Note: Names maybe subject to change!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:17:59 PM by Ren »

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »
Since you gun nuts hijacked the thread earlier, my turn...8)

If I had the Money, strength, mental stability and could even locate one (Out of production), I'd want one of these in my collection;

Dan Wesson PPC:

Mateba Model 6 Unica:
and maybe one of these...

I like odd-looking guns...8)

Also the LeMat, what a great concept for a gun, would love to see it modernized...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:52:54 PM by Ren »

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »
why not get an in production gun that shoots better and looks weirder?  ;D
chiappa rhino

The barrel is at the bottom instead of the top. supposedly the recoil pushes back on you not up and away
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:26:33 PM by fantazero »

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
Look they make a baby one

Speaking of which, I went to the range today, I suck, I havent been in months.

I have some questions about the 3x3s, but I gotta take my pug to the vet for some shots

Kermit the pug

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »
Oooh! I like it! Wonder how expensive they are...though the grip is a little odd-looking...

Huh, guess its a new release but I see prices ranging form $800 to $2600...8P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:05:05 PM by Ren »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »

Melon, need to find a reason for her to get more actively involved too. Maybe some additional hobbies to support the photography that could be useful; scholarship or investigation. Maybe working for the paper on the side as a cub reporter or writing a blog. Something to give her a reason to be on-scene other than just photography. Hrmm come to think of it a reporter and crime-scene photographer may not work...oh here we go, CSI! She works in the actual police lab. Will need some science and scholarly skills but it would be an addition.
I just spoke with her about it, and she likes the idea of a blog.  She already has an aspect, "Darling of the Paranet", so it would be conceivable that she would also have a blog.  Not only that, a big motivation of Melon is that she hates her job and the supernatural but she can't escape it anymore and feels obligated to do what she can.

On last thing... Melon's investigation is +5.  :)  It's already her highest skill.

Note to All: Starting in the middle of February until the beginning week of march I will begin moving out of my current apt into a friends house so there MAY be a weekend we will not have a session, we'll have to see how it goes. Help is welcome too...8)
I may be able to help.  We'll just have to see what day(s) it is.  I could use the exercise anyway.

One last thing - you did say that we should consider a minor milestone at some point in our story so far, right?

That would make sense... especially for the gator group.

My armor has tooth marks.  That's just not right. :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:43:37 PM by BumblingBear »
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »
Steven aka Quiz Boy aka Steven 1 aka Steven the Engineer aka Steven the coiffed (Cause he has hair) and me were talking about Character death. Can you die? If so, what then?

Also I made up all those nicknames after Quiz boy, no offense meant.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2011, 11:48:59 PM »
Steven aka Quiz Boy aka Steven 1 aka Steven the Engineer aka Steven the coiffed (Cause he has hair) and me were talking about Character death. Can you die? If so, what then?

Also I made up all those nicknames after Quiz boy, no offense meant.

You can, but the cool thing about this game is that you don't have to.

From what I understand, how far a character is willing to go has everything to do on the situation and how strongly they feel about things.

For instance, if you get into a fight with a gangbanger, they would probably concede after a moderate or even a minor consequence.

Not many fist fights are to the death. :)  The GM could decide that after a 6 stress attack, a normal person is "taken out"

If someone is "taken out" - (you or an NPC), the winner of the fight decides what happens to them.

So for instance, if I blast a vampire with magic and they are "taken out, I could decide that they either die from the blast, or are temporarily knocked out.  Once it comes to, I can instruct it to take a message to its master.

Concessions are where you or another are in combat, and it's a kind of yield.  Concession means you're done with the fight and you lost, but you get the final say over what happens - not the enemy.

So for instance, if an alligator had taken a big chunk out of me in that fight yesterday and scared me sufficiently, I could have taken a concession.

An appropriate one would be, "I pass out and lie in the mud at an awkward angle, breathing shallowly, but the alligators mistake me for dead and leave me alone."

So a character may run away, hide, etc if the stakes are not high enough, but if we were say... trying to save several children from ritual rape and dismemberment, I know that my character for one would be fighting to the death.

Does that make sense?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
And for weird guns....

I suggest checking out

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=62706

It contains such gems as :

...and this is Ashley's gun.

Offline Malkyne

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2011, 01:01:35 AM »
Check out this awesome Gloria jacket:
http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Outerwear/Jackets/Revel+Without+a+Cause+Jacket

There are a few things we will have to work on;
- Fluid Seating arrangements; there was a fair amount of cross-talk which was good as it kept people busy talking and exchanging info but it made it hard to hear. For future reference it'll be easier if those that need to talk independently step away form the table to cut down the confusion and volume, I'm more than happy to go with if needed and I may occasionally take folks aside for private discussion.
For future games at my place, by the way, you are welcome to invade the room next-door (my office / TV room / project room) for side-conversations.  You guys didn't get to see much of it, but it's got a large sofa and a countertop with bar stools.  Also, there's another bathroom back there.

- Tess, I'm going to go ahead ahead suggest a change of Trouble for you. Being constantly broke does not reflect well on Gloria's professionalism and given the number of high-profile and rich clients there's really no way she'd be broke unless she has a gambling addiction.

Oh, I can think of lots of ways she could be broke, that have nothing to do with gambling, but I was never very enthusiastic about that Trouble, anyway.  Her professionalism is turning out to be a far more dominant character trait than I was expecting, when I was first devising the character.

I think that a good Trouble aspect for her would be something related to her lower-class upbringing, during her teens, since that dogs her in multiple ways, now that she is moving in more sophisticated circles.  She lacks the education to keep up with her more intellectual clients and other acquaintances.  Moreover, her poise and polish are largely artifice, and can slip up when she's under great stress (or when she thinks nobody is listening).  Finally, various loyalties and connections from her past (particularly rakish Cousin Orfeo and his amigos deshonrosa), can invade her life, tap her resources, and become obstacles to her.

Now, I just need a pithy (or at least concise) name for my Trouble.  Hmmm...

And here I thought you were going to go after my "Don't ask too many questions" aspect!  The source of that aspect was that when her parents were put in prison, she learned the value of being sheltered from the knowledge of their criminal activities, since she was neither a useful witness against her parents in court, nor in any sort of trouble, herself.  Likewise, as a neutral driver, she prefers not to know about the criminal activities of her clients (and their potential activities against one another), so that she bears no culpability for those activities, and so that her knowledge can't be used against them.  The positive side of this aspect is that she has a reputation for keeping her mouth shut, and staying out of peoples' business -- which opens doors for her which might otherwise be closed.  The negative side means that she's left in the dark about some information that might be useful to her.

It turns out that it's remarkably difficult to play this aspect, in practice.  Moreover, I think she might have too much curiosity (and hunger for an interesting life) to pull it off.  It would probably be wise to replace this aspect with another aspect relating to discretion and/or professionalism.  I'll give it some thought.

We also need to work on some way to get you more actively involved in the group and I think I may have a way to do that.

Cool.  I think Marty is (already) turning out to be an important lynchpin in the group, and he'll help a lot with the cohesiveness, too.

- Tess and Jason, if you all like we can either get together or talk via mail etc about what your characters will be doing while you all are gone this weekend and maybe during the following week get together and play out what you did so you will be caught up. I'll plan to do the same for others that miss sessions as well.

Sure thing.

Are you going to compel my "Friends help you move..." aspect?  :D

-Tess (Gloria)

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2011, 01:22:59 AM »
Man i had a blast its been awhile (a decade), and i think at times i actually wanted to start interrogating people, instead of role playing and getting things moving. I couldn't believe how self conscience i felt when Ian said, its 5.30 am on a Sunday and your phone rings (i can remember thinking is great, frying pan, fire and why the hell am i first).... Last time i felt self conscience in front of a group was when i took over my first platoon 8 years ago. Also i didn't think i did a good job role playing my character. Hes a nicer guy then i am.

I also think i may need to relook at my social skills, I purposely designed my character to be more skilled (I took the GM fiat) then stunt driven. I have a 3 presence so i figured i would be able to use that assist my rapport, empathy and intimidation (yeah i know its on the sheet and i forgot to use it), which are 1's or 2s. Was i wrong in this assumption? I've read the rule books section covering and it implies you can but when?

Tess, how about Love 'em hate 'em my family all the same.

Thank all i had a great time. But i kinda felt bad for the rest of the group because Steve the Bald and I hogged a lot of the "air time."  

Special Agent Ian Fabian (Z)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:25:39 AM by zegion »
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2011, 01:46:15 AM »
Thank all i had a great time. But i kinda felt bad for the rest of the group because Steve the Bald and I hogged a lot of the "air time."  

Special Agent Ian Fabian (Z)

I may be speaking for no one but myself and mean no disrespect to anyone else, but I think you, Steve the bald  :P, and the Steve the un-Bald  ;D had the most to say and really got into it. It was very entertaining.
Yeah you did seem like you wanted to shine the spot light in some peoples faces, and start demanding answers. Ian and *The Wizard could do a real "Good Cop/Bad Cop" thing in the future.

*( Can we get a Character list going with the Characters name, and the person who is playing them?)
i'll start

Real Name                Character Name                   Character Description.

Mark Lewis                   Brian Moman                        Redneck Gun Runner

I was looking at clothes my character could wear, and then I saw my character
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:48:37 AM by fantazero »