Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 86892 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water (was LFG ATX)
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »
Since there has been so much question about gear, i went back and relooked at the RPG and basically it all covered under resources. If your character does something professorially, more then likely you have it (as long as its not to extravagant).  So if for some reason you want a Barret .50 cal and you dont have the resources to support it, then i think its a matter for the GM.

The Forums have a nice list of home brewed stunts here, http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21952.0.html. A few looked pretty promising. One person thought up a stunt that allows them to use there guns and there resources to determine if they own a particular model (think it was gun nut), then another one allowed the person to use guns as their contacts to get a hold of other gun lovers.

If you you need something in game, it can be assumed that you have have it if it falls into resources -2. Basically a +2 or +3 makes you middle class, so I think most of our lives are pretty good examples. Also remember, resources is your disposable income. For example at a +2 (according to the book) rounds out at 1000 a month. 

Thanks for posting that.  It goes with what I remember as well.  Like, the RAW state that if your character is skilled with guns, they probably have a gun.

Sort of like if they are skilled with melee weapons, specifically swords, they probably own a sword.

It really seems to be kind of common sense approach.

For instance, a PC playing as an 18 year old kid who just discovered her powers is going to have a lot less gear than a 30 year old mercenary who's been killing vampires for 15 years.  (just an example).

Obviously, tanks and such are out of the question unless someone has a 5 or 6 in resources, but I think it's reasonable to assume that our skill points are a fair indication of what our PCs start out with.

Like, Ashley's character is a professional photographer, so it would make sense that she has a Cannon 5D... or maybe even a Hasselblad.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2011, 12:51:31 AM »
For Ashley, yes, she probably has 2 professional cameras, with a bunch of different lenses, but at the same time one or both might be owned by newspaper she works for (Ive known a few journalist, infact i was interviewed in Iraq this last time by the Houston Chronicle, type my real name into google and both my wife and I pop up).

But dont forget, just like you, me and fan we own weapons in real life but none are overly expensive (no gold plated desert eagles, barret .50 cals ect), if you want something thats obviously over your resource limit, you need to justify it for example most of my characters weapons are owned by the FBI. Expect for one "off duty" weapon.

In game terms your really only talking about the difference between a weapon 2 (pistols) and a weapon 3 (heavier stuff) with varying aspects. For instance i think we can assume that a glock generation 3 or 4 would be a weapon 2 with the aspect: reliable and high capacity magazine, a MP5 might be a weapon 2 or 3 (hey its only a 9mm round, but if used with holopoints) but with the aspects, automatic, accurate at short range, reliable, high capicty magazine ((there is a reason just about every swat team in existence use one of these)).

-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »
For Ashley, yes, she probably has 2 professional cameras, with a bunch of different lenses, but at the same time one or both might be owned by newspaper she works for (Ive known a few journalist, infact i was interviewed in Iraq this last time by the Houston Chronicle, type my real name into google and both my wife and I pop up).

But dont forget, just like you, me and fan we own weapons in real life but none are overly expensive (no gold plated desert eagles, barret .50 cals ect), if you want something thats obviously over your resource limit, you need to justify it for example most of my characters weapons are owned by the FBI. Expect for one "off duty" weapon.

In game terms your really only talking about the difference between a weapon 2 (pistols) and a weapon 3 (heavier stuff) with varying aspects. For instance i think we can assume that a glock generation 3 or 4 would be a weapon 2 with the aspect: reliable and high capacity magazine, a MP5 might be a weapon 2 or 3 (hey its only a 9mm round, but if used with holopoints) but with the aspects, automatic, accurate at short range, reliable, high capicty magazine ((there is a reason just about every swat team in existence use one of these)).

I was going to go with a Kel Tec RFB and a Sig P220 for my character's main weapons.

His main melee weapon will be a gift/compel from Pele.  I'm thinking of talking to Ren about eventually making it a compel for Ethan to use this blade in combat as an attack instead of other means.

I pretty much agree with you, btw.  I think it would be a little much to have a character start out with a Walther WA 2000 or a Barrett 50 cal....

But a pretty common rifle shouldn't be a problem.

Heck, I'm not even taking contracts to kill vampires nor am I using weapons for employment anymore and I've still got weapons worth about 4k.

Oooh!  I just thought of a great example to common sense rules.

A character with a weapons: +2 may have a decent, production quality katana.  A character with weapons +5 may have a genuine nihonto katana.

I think that when it comes to starting weapons, we should go based on skills.  A character who has invested the time and effort and money to be proficient enough with guns to be a 4 instead of a 1 is going to have much better weapons.

This was my reasoning with Ashley's character too.  Her character has a low guns skill, but still has the skill and a CCL.  I am giving her a Taurus 9mm.  It's not the best of the best but it is an adequate pistol.

What do you think about my logic here?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2011, 01:06:45 AM »

Well for example, my character is a gun runner, part of his job is getting guns, so it wouldnt be crazy for him to "sample" his merch.
Or
Just out and out, steal it from where ever. National Guard armories will be lightly staffed if the troops are out on the streets  ;)
Thanks Z for the character help, I feel like I'm back in school with all the "book learning" and math and such :P. Cant wait till sunday.
Does anyone have a Beer Preference?

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2011, 01:15:25 AM »
Bear, I think the rule makes sense, but I see resources as a defining factor in all of it. Take this for example, the best shot in the last company i commanded was a PVT, i dont think hes going to go out and be able to buy a Car 15 without saving up a few months.  

The only reason i say this is a bit more of a game mechanics type thing. A character with a resources of 4 or 5 obviously meant that to be the focal point of his character. Being able to step in with something way out of your league monetary wise seems a little out of touch with the game, unless you have a stunt to go along with it (hey im a gun nut, thats WHY i have a resource of 1 and live in a van down by the river, but i have enough weapons for the FBI AND ATF to have me on their watch lists).  

Also Ren is the deciding factor on it, but we gotta keep him free to design our adventures.

A Tarus, Really? Coundn't you have gone with a Glock 22 gen 2 or 3?  Something else to keep in mind, if she has it for personal protection, there a world of good pocket pistols out there, which would have the concealable aspect.

Shiner Bock is nectar of the gods, but ive sworn off beer for 3 more weeks. Then im going to celebrate with one or 2 and go right back to this paleo diet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:18:14 AM by zegion »

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2011, 01:19:30 AM »
So they even make Walther Wa 2000s? I though they stopped making them in the mid 90s?

50 cals are nice and all, but you can pick up a Decent 308 /30-06 at Academy for 200-300 bucks, and if need be pick up/make tungsten or steel core ammo that should penetrate light vehicle armor, standard cars, and any bullet proof vest on the market.

I was thinking of my characters pistol being a P-35 ( Browning Hi Power) made while the FN factory was occupied by the Nazis during WW2, it was gifted to him by his great grandfather, an Irishman who fought in WW2. It's got the Nazi Factory markings.  It just seems more sinster that way, also its old tech, so Wizards and such shouldnt mess with it. Also old Hi Powers can still take the new Hi Power magazines (they make 20-30 round mags).

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2011, 01:20:40 AM »

A Tarus, Really? Coundn't you have gone with a Glock 22 gen 2 or 3?  Something else to keep in mind, if she has it for personal protection, there a world of good pocket pistols out there, which would have the concealable aspect.

Taurus makes a damn fine 38 revolver. The finish is crap, but it's accurate and reliable and only 200 bucks. also its not too big, you could hide it in a camera bag
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:22:21 AM by fantazero »

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
Sorry for not getting back on this one but yes you will have a certain amount of basic gear relevant to your profession, concept and resource level. i.e.
Yes the FBI Agent would have his issued side-arm as well as an off-duty weapon and possibly a personal shotgun, but unless he is part of an FBI Tactical Unit he's not likely to have an SMG or autofire weapon of any kind though given his departments particular needs he may be able to requisition special gear on an as-needed basis.
The Ex-soldier warrior of Pele will likely have a slightly larger range of personal gear and weapons but may lose them and have to take some time to replace any lost gear.
Photographer can have a small pistol or more likely a Taser, several cameras and related gear, small photo-lab.
Loremaster likely has a sword-cane if he has the Weapon skill.
The Shyster will likely have at least one large-caliber weapon and ready access to more.
The Redneck...well he likely has an arsenal...8)
The Driver will likely have a Sidearm and possibly a small SMG with appropriate licenses.
Crazy Pirate guy...probably has a cutlass and a brace of black-powder pistols...8)

For other Resources here is a rough guesstimate of valuables.
Resources (0); You have no real income, likely live on the street or in a shelter or on someone's couch. No Computer, maybe 1 change of clothes, bare minimum of food no transportation other than Mk.1 Personal Mobility Units...(feet). Give blood or plasma for extra cash.

Resources (+1); Would you like fries with that? Live in a tiny, rundown apartment in a bad section of town or room with others in a slightly better section of town, older laptop, decent food, a week's change of clothes a Bicycle or old run-down scooter. Basic Cell Phone.

Resources (+2); Welcome to the Machine! Have a decent sized apartment or very small (rented) house with or without roomies in a decent section of town. Good-quality computer (Desktop or laptop), many low-priced entertainment options, small car or nice motorcycle, good cellphone, eat out several times a week anywhere or one really nice place, several weeks worth of clothes.

Resources (+3); You are being assimilated. You own a small house to yourself or rent a larger place or condo either in a nice part of town, very good-quality computer, entertainment center, Smartphone, good selection of brand-name clothing, eat out when you like, drive a decent car (low-middle end BMW, Audi) or a slightly modified bike or street-racer. You can afford to have a maid come around twice a week.

Resources (+4); Like a Boss! You own a really nice and good-sized house (beachfront if desired) or a super-luxury condo, you your own servers, big plasma screen and home-theater system, you don't have to wear the same clothes twice unless it looks really good on you, you have your own cook/maid/butler-type, high-end Smartphone with Bling if desired, small but expensive house pet, mutliple middle-high end luxury or sports car.

Resources (+5); You don't have to ask the price, you CAN afford it....McMansion of your own design, all the food, wine and women/men you could desire, own multiple super-cars and ultra-luxury vehicles including personal jet, yacht etc...really don't need to go any further do I?
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2011, 01:28:07 AM »
Ahh, the Hi-Power a simple great gun that has simply stood the passing of time. I admit, im becoming more of a fan the new glocks , for any that know me, i used to HATE glocks. But the gen 4's are sweet. One thing ive always liked about my M&P 40 is the way it just feels good in the hand, accurate with a pretty good trigger pull. Well the last glock I shot felt just as good.

And for anyone one lurking reading the forum, fan is absolutely correct. A good hunting rifle (no scope or bipod) can be found at academy for about 325. Grant it were talking about a single action weapon (one round at a time) but Winchester makes lss aoad of .308s/ 30-06 in that price range. You can even get a decent .30-.30 for less.

Heck my .38 special, feather weight, a conceable, 6 shot pistol only cost around 400 when it first came out.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »
And for the record no the WA-2000 is no longer made. In fact there were so few made that they are now considered collectors items and sell for upwards of $75k for 2nd generation models. (I recently did some research on Null-pup weapons, mostly by whim, and it was one fo the ones that came up.).
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2011, 01:30:02 AM »

Crazy Pirate guy...probably has a cutlass and a brace of black-powder pistols...8)

all i'm saying is you dont need a license to buy a cannon
http://cannonsuperstore.com/black_powder_cannons.htm

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2011, 01:37:38 AM »
My Fav line of the moment: Crazy Pirate guy...probably has a cutlass and a brace of black-powder pistols

BTW an SMG is illegal, any fully automatic weapon is. The only appropriate way to own one is to have a class 3 licences, which is mostly for companies and people working for Tactical Teams, and even then they only have the ability to carry them though the agency they work for. Also keep in mind, the general public (take away gun shows for a minute) are not allowed to own or have access to weapons, those in the police or military can buy. For instance my M&P 40, has no safety. I could only buy it because 1) at the time i worked for APD and 2) I was in the National Guard (only have to meet one of the criteria)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:41:34 AM by zegion »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2011, 01:43:40 AM »

This seriously made me laugh out loud.  God I love that character concept... lol!

Thanks for clarifying, Ren.  That was the idea I got as well.

Since minor character advancement allows PCs to switch around skills, it would make sense that starting gear may not be the same as resources.  My character's resources are going to be 0 starting... because he will be living out of his truck.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2011, 01:47:55 AM »
My Fav line of the moment: Crazy Pirate guy...probably has a cutlass and a brace of black-powder pistols

BTW an SMG is illegal, any fully automatic weapon is. The only appropriate way to own one is to have a class 3 licences, which is mostly for companies and people working for Tactical Teams, and even then they only have the ability to carry them though the agency they work for. Also keep in mind, the general public (take away gun shows for a minute) are not allowed to own or have access to weapons, those in the police or military can buy. For instance my M&P 40, has no safety. I could only buy it because 1) at the time i worked for APD and 2) I was in the National Guard (only have to meet one of the criteria)

Well, if you can jump through the hoops you can own a Full Auto that was made before 1986*. 200 bucks, a buttload of ATF forms, and I think the local PD/Sheriff has to sign off on it later and its your. Same with Supervisors and short barreled shotguns (minus the 1986 stuff)
You live near Buttercup creek in Cedar Park, you should check out "The Gun Store" the guys there are class 3 Dealers, and have some neat stuff

*Thanks Ronald Regan  :-\
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

Wait, my g26 has no external safety. I believe you can buy m&p40s without safeties... is their a law you are referring to?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:51:41 AM by fantazero »

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:19 AM »
Heck i would be a crazy pirate guy too, if I could only see one ghost and all he wanted me to do is go dig up his treasure. I still think its funny that problem "manifested" its self in the middle of a minor league hokey game he the character was playing in. now that is a concept.