Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 86890 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water (was LFG ATX)
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
Should be plenty sufficient.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2011, 02:03:04 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this powwow

What specifically are we covering again?  I'm assuming that we're finishing character and city creation.... finalizing character background and motivations, etc.

Do you have anything specific for us to start thinking about before Sunday, Ren?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Well I'm actually hoping we'll be able to start gaming if we get finished up with all of the character stuff early enough. I've already got a major of the scenes and events planned out I just need to detail opposition and zones etc...

I need to get some over-large pieces of graph-paper so I can have re-usable zone maps.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »
I'm basing everything off of this and what I am reading in the RPG Book
http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Harry-Dresden.pdf

In Stunts and Powers, if you play as a vanilla Mortal, do you just leave that blank?
Also as far as Skills go, how many is too many? How many is not enough?

Also the Stress system is really tripping me up. Like do we change that in game (In pencil)?

As a Mortal I have no Refresh rate, right?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is all Brand new to me.

Offline quizboy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
I'm basing everything off of this and what I am reading in the RPG Book
http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Harry-Dresden.pdf

In Stunts and Powers, if you play as a vanilla Mortal, do you just leave that blank?
Also as far as Skills go, how many is too many? How many is not enough?
I'll try to answer your questions, but others may correct me...
  As a Vanilla Mortal, you actually can still have Stunts; only powers are treated as supernatural.  These stunts are encouraged for Mortals; they are what allows Murphy to be a skilled shot, Butters to be a smart guy, and Marcone to be well connected.
  Just remember that one of the big powers of being a Vanilla Mortal is having extra refresh; more on that below.  Each of the Stunts you buy during character creation causes your refresh to be lower, which will limit the Fate points you start with (and thus your choices in the game).

I'm not certain about the best skill amounts.  I based my skills off the table in the book (listed for 30 skill pts, you can have 2 superb, 2 good, ...).
After we get more used to the system, Ian said we could update our characters some (happens at some milestones anyway).

Also the Stress system is really tripping me up. Like do we change that in game (In pencil)?

As a Mortal I have no Refresh rate, right?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is all Brand new to me.

As a Vanilla Mortal, you still have a refresh rate.  In fact, you get two extra refresh points. 
Your Fate Points (represented by the refresh you get at the beginning of each session) allow you to add to any rolls that you do (so you literally have fate on your side), change a scene (with GM's permission), and other stuff.

I'm uncertain about the stress changing in game.  I haven't seen much on that yet.  What I have seen is that different skills alter your refresh based on the skill level.

--Steven

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:24:00 PM by quizboy »

Offline quizboy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
I haven't had much of a chance to work on my character; work has kept me very busy.  I plan on finishing everything out on Saturday, and I'll bring it to the game.
I think I've finished my skills and aspects.  I think most of what I have left is refinement of my existing aspects (including back story), and selecting some items.

I miss not having any mortal stunts, and considered stepping down from full Wizard by lowering my Evocation to Channelling.  This would allow me to take a stunt (or more with a catch) so I could be more well rounded.  I'm thinking this probably isn't the way to go, since we are going to have a lot of pure mortals (75%), and only two spellcasters.  I think I'll stick with a full wizard with a refresh of 1.

I have an idea for one item, and I wanted to run it past you, Ian, before I went much further:
My wizard will be focused on Thaumaturgy and knowledge.  I was thinking that rather than having a staff focus item, I would like an arcane tome.  My idea for this tome is to leave a page of it in each library that I have access to; this would form a link with the rest of the book, and allow me to access the books in the library that I leave each page.

I would like to have pages placed in a couple of places already, including my mentor's library and the white council's library in Edinburgh.

I still have a couple more items that I'll have to think of as well.

Later.

--Steven

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
Thanks for the response Quizboy (Steven #1).
So I could have items of power that wouldnt be required to be magic (like a Pistol that my grandfather carried in the War)

You could have a haunted Dewey decimal card catalog! lol, I kid I kid.

So as far as skills go, if for example you have a background in law, would that be under a general academic Skill or would you put Skill "Lawyer" or some such.

Also my hand writing is crap (Early Arthitis or carpal tunnel, not sure yet! YAY!) so does anyone know of a good free program to write on PDFs? 

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
You are correct on the Refresh levels Steven.
Pure mortals start with 2 extra refresh so if you take chest deep you would end up with 10 refresh instead of 8. And remember you can always spend a Refresh for 5 extra skill points, but as a  one-time event. so You could end up with 9 refresh and 35 skill points.
Mortals have their disadvantages but are VERY flexible in exchange.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »
A single magical ability or item is considered becoming a "Minor Talent" and thus no longer pure mortal. So as soon as you take an Item of Power you exit the realm of Pure Mortal and no longer gain the 2 extra refresh. No Magic for you!

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
Fan,

Heres a quick run down on how I did my character. My character thinks hes a pure mortal, but hes actually a minor talent. Since this is your first time doing any RPG's ive broken the descions down with their reasoning so you have something to compare yours to.

8 Refresh/Fate (Hence forth known as r/f), 30 Skill Points (if your a pure mortal you get two more refresh points to use, but if your a pure mortal the only "powers you can buy come from the "stunts" portion of the RPG book).

I then spent Fate Points on the following,

-1 r/f on +5 skill points (GM Fiat), because my character, Ian Fabian, needs to know a little about a lot as an FBI agent. I see my character as being more skillful then "stunt" driven.

-1 r/f 1    I know just the guy, but we have to find him first: when gathering info contacts +2. (was I know just the guy +1 Contacts, +1 Time increment change, change allowed by GM)- Since my character investigates the weird it stands that hes fairly well connected, but the weird like to stay off the radar, so i got to do a little digging to find em.

-1 r/f  Is that all you got (no pain no gain) 2 additional mild consequences. - he hunts the weird professionally, got to be able to take a few bruises if you hunt monsters.

-1 r/f  scene of the crime: +1 investigation and one increment faster - ahh, because im a special agent, this was the first stunt i thought of when i made my character.

-1 r/f On your toes, +2 for initiative: Again in my line of work sometimes the big nasty thing with claws really is coming to eat you. Better be ready for it.

-1 r/f  Monster Killer: due to training and knowing how to fight those that things that go bump in the night add +2 to guns when fighting the weird (and only the weird). - Worked this one out with Ren. He liked the idea so we kept it. An alternative was +1 to guns and +1 to Discipline (for fear).

Now for the power that keeps me from being human.

-1 r/f (2 -1 for the catch) Inhuman recovery (catch: ?) - will recover from any wound. can shrug off one minor consequence. heal at one increment lower (severe to moderate), the thing is my character has no clue he has this, where it came from or why. From his prospective its ahh well maybe that gibbering nasty only got me for a flesh wound, but man i could have sworn it cut to the bone....o' well.

Leaving me a grand total of 1 refresh/fate (have to keep one or your just a goon) for the start of the game. Basically that means the GM can compel me though my aspects and i cant fight back. I also cant influence "fate" to help me out (re-rolling dice ect). We can earn more r/f as the game goes on, but starting off we have a slight up hill battle to climb.

Your stress tracks don't change, permanently (well unless you loose a hand or something). They may go down if you suffer a defeat of some sort, but will bounce back to there full capacity at some point.  Your Skills determine your starting stress. The big ones are, Conviction, mental stress; Endurance, physical stress; and Presence for Social Stress.

Does that help? How about your Aspects, you having an OK time coming up with those?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:12:09 PM by zegion »
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
I haven't had much of a chance to work on my character; work has kept me very busy.  I plan on finishing everything out on Saturday, and I'll bring it to the game.
I think I've finished my skills and aspects.  I think most of what I have left is refinement of my existing aspects (including back story), and selecting some items.

I miss not having any mortal stunts, and considered stepping down from full Wizard by lowering my Evocation to Channelling.  This would allow me to take a stunt (or more with a catch) so I could be more well rounded.  I'm thinking this probably isn't the way to go, since we are going to have a lot of pure mortals (75%), and only two spellcasters.  I think I'll stick with a full wizard with a refresh of 1.

I have an idea for one item, and I wanted to run it past you, Ian, before I went much further:
My wizard will be focused on Thaumaturgy and knowledge.  I was thinking that rather than having a staff focus item, I would like an arcane tome.  My idea for this tome is to leave a page of it in each library that I have access to; this would form a link with the rest of the book, and allow me to access the books in the library that I leave each page.

I would like to have pages placed in a couple of places already, including my mentor's library and the white council's library in Edinburgh.

I still have a couple more items that I'll have to think of as well.

Later.

--Steven

In "Our World",  Molly does not have full thaumaturgy.  Her strength is in evocation - specifically in veils.

I see no reason why as a wizard you "need" full evocation - channeling should be fine.  You just need to make sure it's in your primary aspect and that you take the Sight etc.

Part of the cool thing about this RPG is the amazing flexibility in building a character.

Since your character is going to be less of a combat wizard, I think it would fit thematically if you only took chanelling.  If you specialized in thaumaturgy, that would be something you could definitely bring to the table.  My character can do quick and dirty thaumaturgical stuff, but I plan on playing him with an aversion to ritual.

Use the template guidelines as just that... guidelines.  Nothing is set in stone - Ren is the deciding voice on anything you want to do.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
gear
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »
Ren hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I am assuming that our characters will be starting out with gear appropriate to our fields/aspects/agendas.

I'm honestly curious what some people are including for gear especially since most everyone else are playing more mortal flavored, varied characters.

Other than a few guns, maybe some provisions on my island, and an obsidian knife gifted by Pele, I am not sure what else to include or if it is even necessary.

Ashley's character won't have much on her except for a 9mm pistol her character has a CCL for and camera gear.

Thoughts?

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: gear
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2011, 11:56:47 PM »
Ren hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I am assuming that our characters will be starting out with gear appropriate to our fields/aspects/agendas.

I'm honestly curious what some people are including for gear especially since most everyone else are playing more mortal flavored, varied characters.

Other than a few guns, maybe some provisions on my island, and an obsidian knife gifted by Pele, I am not sure what else to include or if it is even necessary.

Ashley's character won't have much on her except for a 9mm pistol her character has a CCL for and camera gear.

Thoughts?

Garlic, Holy Water, Silver, Wallet, Cell Phone, Pocket Knife, Flashlight, Zippo Lighter, Cash, Body Armor, Boots, Socks, Shirt, Belt, Lucky Rabbits foot, Lucky Coin, Pepperspray keychain (Asp makes a nice one I carry).
We could go with what people have in their real life cars, Me for example 100 Rounds of Ammo ,Crowbar, Hiking Axe, Pocket Knife, First aid kit, Fix-a-flat, chick-fila wrapper, tool kit, spare work uniform, umbrella, tire iron, spare tire, jumper cables, freeze dried food, bottles of water.

Or since its Miami, Hawaiian Shirt, speedo, black socks and flipflops (I've seen it!)
Can I wear an ankle holster while wearing swim shorts? lol

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2011, 12:27:01 AM »
Since there has been so much question about gear, i went back and relooked at the RPG and basically it all covered under resources. If your character does something professorially, more then likely you have it (as long as its not to extravagant).  So if for some reason you want a Barret .50 cal and you dont have the resources to support it, then i think its a matter for the GM.

The Forums have a nice list of home brewed stunts here, http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21952.0.html. A few looked pretty promising. One person thought up a stunt that allows them to use there guns and there resources to determine if they own a particular model (think it was gun nut), then another one allowed the person to use guns as their contacts to get a hold of other gun lovers.

If you you need something in game, it can be assumed that you have have it if it falls into resources -2. Basically a +2 or +3 makes you middle class, so I think most of our lives are pretty good examples. Also remember, resources is your disposable income. For example at a +2 (according to the book) rounds out at 1000 a month. 
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: gear
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2011, 12:28:23 AM »
Garlic, Holy Water, Silver, Wallet, Cell Phone, Pocket Knife, Flashlight, Zippo Lighter, Cash, Body Armor, Boots, Socks, Shirt, Belt, Lucky Rabbits foot, Lucky Coin, Pepperspray keychain (Asp makes a nice one I carry).
We could go with what people have in their real life cars, Me for example 100 Rounds of Ammo ,Crowbar, Hiking Axe, Pocket Knife, First aid kit, Fix-a-flat, chick-fila wrapper, tool kit, spare work uniform, umbrella, tire iron, spare tire, jumper cables, freeze dried food, bottles of water.

Or since its Miami, Hawaiian Shirt, speedo, black socks and flipflops (I've seen it!)
Can I wear an ankle holster while wearing swim shorts? lol

If we went with what we have on us in RL, my character would be OP.  lol

I was never a boy scout, but "Be Prepared" rings true for me.