Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 80914 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Gamers looking for Groups? (ATX)
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
double post
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:18:30 PM by BumblingBear »
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
Sounds good, but did you need to quote yourself for that?...8)
I need to check on what I posted on meetup and see if there are any questions or comment there, but I can't/won't check it form work.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
Sounds good, but did you need to quote yourself for that?...8)
I need to check on what I posted on meetup and see if there are any questions or comment there, but I can't/won't check it form work.

I didn't mean to quote myself. :/

And I will check it now.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »
I'm going to work on finishing my character today, so I will consider the campaign in question while doing so.

I was thinking that a really easy way to get my character to go just about anywhere is to have one of his old battle buddies from the military ask for help.

For instance, if someone my character used to know has a  son/father/wife/daughter etc has gone missing and he or she calls my character for help due to the rumors of his supernatural circles.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
I'm thinking the group as a whole will have to find at least one or more mutually shared contacts that can bring the group together for different purposes. There are few potential contacts in place that could fit the bill but I will recommend the group create one for themselves. At the very least create an organization of your own with a specific charter and purpose.
With no Warden for Miami all of the local Supernaturals, Practitioners are pretty much on their own so I expect to see a certain amount of clumping together for mutual defense.
There are actually a few groups already in town for such a purpose including the Silver Fox Society; a bunch of old and retired Practitioners including at least one former, but now mostly senile, Wizard of the White Council.

As I recall Pele is a Volcano/Fire Goddess as well, if you start drawing that kind of power, whether accidental or otherwise, well...you can imagine just how much damage that can do. Expect to spend a lot of refresh containing overflow...8)
I'm not sure whether the local Bokors will love you or fear you...likely both! Of course being so far away from her base of power will limit the access a bit...but once she gets going...

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »
I'm thinking the group as a whole will have to find at least one or more mutually shared contacts that can bring the group together for different purposes. There are few potential contacts in place that could fit the bill but I will recommend the group create one for themselves. At the very least create an organization of your own with a specific charter and purpose.
With no Warden for Miami all of the local Supernaturals, Practitioners are pretty much on their own so I expect to see a certain amount of clumping together for mutual defense.
There are actually a few groups already in town for such a purpose including the Silver Fox Society; a bunch of old and retired Practitioners including at least one former, but now mostly senile, Wizard of the White Council.

This sounds really interesting.  I'm liking the sound of this campaign more and more.

As I recall Pele is a Volcano/Fire Goddess as well,
Indeed.  She is also a goddess of lightning and dance.  If my character gets oked, I think the lightning aspect would be most appropriate for him to use more often since he is primarily a spirit and air evocator.

[quote[if you start drawing that kind of power, whether accidental or otherwise, well...you can imagine just how much damage that can do. Expect to spend a lot of refresh containing overflow...8)

Uh oh!  :P

I'm not sure whether the local Bokors will love you or fear you...likely both! Of course being so far away from her base of power will limit the access a bit...but once she gets going...

Both is great.  I'm really angling for more of a Kinkaid-esque anti hero with this character.  He's working for the greater good, but he is also an extreme pragmatist and a killer.  He admires the good guys but he can never be one himself.  He's not really trying to play the part of a leader either.  He's lost.  I want his path to redemption and his lack of a path to be a large part of his character....

Oh yeah, and eventually chasing down his x wife - who is a BC vamp now. :)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
You have no idea how many evil ideas you just added to my plans...8)

Just so you have an idea of what kind of GM I am; I ran a Legend of the Five Rings (Samurai fantasy action) a few years back. One of the characters was a fourteen-year old Samurai-Ko with a AND case of Hero-worship for the most Legendary swordsman and ladies man of their time. By the end of the game she'd found out her Hero was a drunkard, I had melted half of her body and tainted her. But in the end the hero turned out to be her Grandfather and Heir to the Throne, she got purified and became the next Empress. Then their was the Tattooed monk who'd pissed off ALL of the Elemental spirits, or at least his parents had, so he had to do penance for their errors...this included purifying a river by removing tainted sludge with a basket he had to weave himself, fill a valley with wind-chimes and flutes so the air could sing, apply Feng Shui to a mountain by moving boulders around and lastly had to learn to build fireworks form scratch with NO help...that last bit was a hysterical amount of fun...there were MANY explosions...8)
Give me ammo and I will use it...and hopefully you will like it...8)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »

Give me ammo and I will use it...and hopefully you will like it...8)

That's the idea. :)

The more character flaws or troubles a character has, the easier it is for the GM, the more fun players have, and the more room for advancement there is.

Win win. :)

Not only that, I pride myself on my ability to tie everything together logically.  I really like how this character's backstory is coming together. 

Offline quizboy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
Well, since there are a couple of character concepts thrown out for Sunday's game, I wanted to chime in, as I have a couple of ideas.  I'm getting excited about the game getting off the ground! :)
I will probably wait to flesh out the characters themselves until the group meets so that we can get a feel for what will fit well with the group.

My first idea is an apprentice to Injun Joe--from a Native American background.  ("Council Connections," "inherited item," "Nature knows the way.")

My second idea is a character on the way to being a wizard (when the refresh is high enough); maybe a bookworm sort; a know it all; someone who believes knowledge is more important than anything else, and that gets her in trouble.  ("Bookwyrm," "knowledge fixes everything," "quiet--easily missed/ignored," "know it all," "remembers too much (eidetic memory), "maybe some synesthesia elements.")

I also like the idea of being the Warden's apprentice mentioned earlier, so I might change the Injun Joe apprentice concept to Missing Warden apprentice.  After writing some of this down, I may combine these two into a single character concept (just cut out the extra concepts to prevent the character from being too busy).

See you Sunday!

--Steven

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
Well, since there are a couple of character concepts thrown out for Sunday's game, I wanted to chime in, as I have a couple of ideas.  I'm getting excited about the game getting off the ground! :)
I will probably wait to flesh out the characters themselves until the group meets so that we can get a feel for what will fit well with the group.

My first idea is an apprentice to Injun Joe--from a Native American background.  ("Council Connections," "inherited item," "Nature knows the way.")

My second idea is a character on the way to being a wizard (when the refresh is high enough); maybe a bookworm sort; a know it all; someone who believes knowledge is more important than anything else, and that gets her in trouble.  ("Bookwyrm," "knowledge fixes everything," "quiet--easily missed/ignored," "know it all," "remembers too much (eidetic memory), "maybe some synesthesia elements.")

I also like the idea of being the Warden's apprentice mentioned earlier, so I might change the Injun Joe apprentice concept to Missing Warden apprentice.  After writing some of this down, I may combine these two into a single character concept (just cut out the extra concepts to prevent the character from being too busy).

See you Sunday!

--Steven

Those all sound like great ideas!

I think we may be starting at a submerged refresh level... in which case if you didn't want to just start with a wizard you could just keep a bunch of fate points and eventually upgrade your character at different milestones.  That would probably be fun. :)

I'm still working on my character and my gf keeps changing her mind.  Now she wants to be a changeling instead of a were-tiger.  :P

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:52 AM »
Can I just be a guy who had a run in with the Super Natural, did some research and figured out that the world is a lie and that protecting people from "The Bad Guys" is a better hobby than World of Warcraft?
Basically I just want to be me. A Gun loving Texan, who reads too much sci-fi , plays too many video games, and like to blow up evil creatures.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2011, 02:24:07 AM »
Can I just be a guy who had a run in with the Super Natural, did some research and figured out that the world is a lie and that protecting people from "The Bad Guys" is a better hobby than World of Warcraft?
Basically I just want to be me. A Gun loving Texan, who reads too much sci-fi , plays too many video games, and like to blow up evil creatures.

I don't see why not.

If you don't take any supernatural abilities, you get two extra refresh.  Then you can choose to buy mortal stunts with your fate points or just keep them all to use in-game.

I personally think it would be cool to just have all the fate points.  That would allow you to be a /lucky/ sci-fi loving, video game playing, evil creature blowing up Texan.

With 12+ fate points at your disposal, you could modify just about every important roll you did during a scene.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
Pure Mortal is perfectly acceptable. I figured someone would want to play one and it maybe useful for working with certain groups (Like the Florida Militia).

As a note I am going to set the overall Power level to "Chest-Deep" but you can choose to play as "Feet in the Water" or "Up to your Waist". There will eventually be bonuses for playing lower-powered characters, I just haven't decide what they will be yet. See what we end up with for characters.
Mind you. some of the NPC's will be fully submerged.

I plan to bring info packets for everybody; 1 Basic Setup, 1 City Themes & Threats (the intention is to have players come up with more along the line) and something called the 3x3x3 which is a character-building tool I use in other Campaigns. Basically its a list of 9 people/beings the character will know. Its  alot like the character development process but some of these are also intended to tie into the City Creation process. Its a list of 3 friends/allies, 3 contacts and 3 rivals/enemies. The 3x3x3 sheet will also include a list of 20+ Character Development Questions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:10:30 PM by Renfield »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Pure Mortal is perfectly acceptable. I figured someone would want to play one and it maybe useful for working with certain groups (Like the Florida Militia).

As a note I am going to set the overall Power level to "Chest-Deep" but you can choose to play as "Feet in the Water" or "Up to your Waist". There will eventually be bonuses for playing lower-powered characters, I just haven't decide what they will be yet. See what we end up with for characters.
Mind you. some of the NPC's will be fully submerged.

I plan to bring info packets for everybody; 1 Basic Setup, 1 City Themes & Threats (the intention is to have players come up with more along the line) and something called the 3x3x3 which is a character-building tool I use in other Campaigns. Basically its a list of 9 people/beings the character will know. Its  alot like the character development process but some of these are also intended to tie into the City Creation process. Its a list of 3 friends/allies, 3 contacts and 3 rivals/enemies. The 3x3x3 sheet will also include a list of 20+ Character Development Questions.

So I absolutely cannot start out with a submerged character?

Hmm.  I can't think of any possible way that I'd be able to play the character I want with lower fate points.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:13:42 PM by BumblingBear »

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
As this will be my first time running the game I'd like to keep the power level limited until I can get a handle on the system and such. Eventually it will upgrade but not to start with. Chest-Deep is good enough to make a wizard so a Focused Practitioner shouldn't be an issue, but you may have to lose one of the Items of Power. I looked over the character you had posted but until I get a book to compare numbers I can't make any other calls.
Not so sure about the GF character; a were-pixie?...rofl, funny in thought but in practice...dunno. Have to think on that. Every game I've seen a pixie-type character played in they have annoyed the crap out of me. May have to add a compel "Can't fly when wings are wet"...(Its an Earthdawn thing).
Again these will not be finalized until after we meet and greet on Sunday.