Author Topic: Statting Johann Krauss  (Read 1570 times)

Offline WillTheGreat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Statting Johann Krauss
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:02:13 AM »
I was watching Hellboy 2 again a few nights ago when I realized who I really wanted to play in my next DFRPG game: Johann Krauss.
Obviously the character will be different but what I really need to know is what powers, skills, catches etc he would need.
I've been looking at powers- specifically Spirit Form with Poltergeist added on. But since you guys are so good with statting characters, I thought I'd ask the experts.

Is there any other way you would stat him? Any other powers he'd need?
He's able to 'possess' other objects and such- much like Bob- but he's able to revive the dead for a short amount of time too. He'd obviously need a Catch- maybe Silver or Salt etc.

The game I'd be playing him in is apparently going to start off at 7 refresh but will gradually get to submerged level, but don't worry if you stat him too high or too low in refresh- I'll figure something out.

Thanks.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Johann Krauss
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
Possessing others is done via the Domination (-2) power, with the Possession (-3) increase.  It's also pretty darn evil, infringing on the third and/or fourth Laws of Magic. 

If you wanted to stat out a different version you would probably have to specify the circumstances in which you can possess someone else, the methods (if any) for resistance, what aspects of that character to which you gain access during possession, and such.  The Ghost Speaker (-1) power might be appropriate, depending on how much of a rapport you want to have with other deceased. 

You could probably adapt the workings of the spell "Reading the Dead Eyes" (page 300) to his "temporarily reanimate the dead" power, although again you're smacking up against the Necromancy end of the Laws.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:04:09 PM »
I'd go for the animation trick being more of a divination ritual than an actual reanimation of the dead. You really should get into trouble over this at some point but you could probably get off on the technicality that the normal means of reanimation involve necromancy. You're not pulling anything from anywhere else, you're providing all the mojo yourself due to your ectoplasmic body. Of course the reason this works that way is the results he seems to get from it and the very sharply limited duration. These are not standard in Dresdenverse necromancy. Stat this out as the Ritual power with a divination focus.

I think you'd be best off doing something more like spirit channeling rather than try to work out possessing inanimate objects. I don't recall him actually possessing anyone living which is good. That cuts you out of another sticky Law mess (one is enough for a good story with conflict, really) and lets you just ghost around and do attacks and blocks and maneuvers like anyone else. For example possessing the locker or whatever that was and whacking Hellboy with the doors could all be done with maneuvers and attacks. Social attacks even in that case, since the goal wasn't to lay his red arse out flat but to knock the chip off his shoulder.

Okay, so that's 5 so far... Not sure how to do the suit though. Initial idea was to stat it up as an item of power that allows immaterial people to "possess" it and interact normally with mortals.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 03:05:59 PM by Lanir »

Offline WillTheGreat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:34:03 AM »
Yeah, looking back at the powers within the book, I definitely won't be needing Possession so that's out for sure.
And seeing how I'd be getting a whole lot of flak for bringing back the dead, I think I might do something more along the lines of what Dresden did with seeing the corpse's last thoughts/feelings etc. Hopefully that way I won't have the Council on my back all the time.
Yeah, thanks, Lanir- Item of Power would probably be best.

My only other concern is whether to give him Spirit Form or some kind of permanent Gaseous Form as he never actually goes through any walls. Thoughts?

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »
They both kind of have more than you need to copy Johann and also cost more than you can afford. So your best bet is to narrow your focus and figure out what you want. You could always still be researching the trick to give you one power or the other. Although that's a big transformation which is also generally a no-no in this setting. The closest thing to how Johann seems to work would be getting Gaseous Form permanently and tacking on the Poltergeist add-on from Spirit Form. The item of power I'm thinking could just get some level of toughness with the glass dome being the weak point. You'd have to work out what happens if/when the suit is damaged with your GM though.