Author Topic: Iron-Willed Disbelief?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Iron-Willed Disbelief?
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:37:59 AM »
I can't believe that I never noticed this before.

Quote from: Your Story, p.375
Iron-Willed Disbelief (Discipline): Rooted
in her firm disbelief of the supernatural,
Janet’s mental stress track is determined
by her Discipline skill.

So...

Mind Over Matter
Through rigorous mental training, you strong personal belief determines your physical reality. Your physical stress track is determined by your Conviction skill.

Superb conviction and a -1 refresh mortal stunt gives you two maxed out stress tracks and two extra ( 1 physical and 1 mental) minor consequences.

Now, that just seems wrong to me!

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Iron-Willed Disbelief?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:42:56 AM »
Doesn't an as-printed Conviction stunt already do something similar for social as well?
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline ashern

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:51:30 AM »
It's basically just moving a single trapping from one to the other, I don't really see a problem.  I mean, yeah, if you're wanting to do everything with Conviction you could, but it would be a weird character, and it would cost you like 4-5 refresh... which I don't really have a problem with.

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:17:58 AM »
It's basically just moving a single trapping from one to the other, I don't really see a problem.

No, I get that. It is definitely a valid stunt. I had just never considered moving a trapping that affects a stress track before.

It's just that endurance doesn't have a lot of active uses. You could leave endurance, and presence for that matter, unrated then take stunts to move the Fortitude trappings to you apex skill. That gives you maxed out stress tracks and extra consequences and it frees up two skill slots at Great or higher.

While we are taking things to extremes, you could also throw in the Hunger stress track too. But since hunger comes from a power it may not be within the scope of a mortal stunt to mess with it.

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »
Doesn't an as-printed Conviction stunt already do something similar for social as well?

Apparently, I am blind. Now that I know what I am looking for there is Person of Conviction, Iron-Willed Disbelief, and Unfeeling Crab-Creature.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »
Mind Over Matter
Through rigorous mental training, your strong personal belief determines your physical reality.

I think that's one definition for magic :)

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »
That "stunt" seems to be pretty supernatural.  I would consider it to be a power.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »
That "stunt" seems to be pretty supernatural.  I would consider it to be a power.

Maybe it would work better for you if the physical stress bar was based on the Athletics skill instead? 

My only concern is that it minimizes the necessity of several skills to keep higher stress bars and seems to reek of min/maxing.