Author Topic: Angelic character writeup.  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Angelic character writeup.
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:58:22 PM »
OK, here's a build for an angelic character I'm planning of using, probably as an NPC or even adversary (unless I can find a really high refresh game). She's actually a Nephilim, not a true angel, which means she has all physical power but little spiritual. Damn good with that flaming sword though.  ;D

Lavoera
High Concept: Half-Blood Blonde Angel Trouble: My Father, the Fallen
Other Aspects: Stronger Than You, Trained by Many Masters, Totally Atheist, Flaming Sword +5!!!, Blonde Plus Good Do Not Equal Stupid!
Fate Points: 1  Physical OOOOOO(OOOOOO) armor 3  Social OOOO  Mental OOOO +1 mild

SKILLS

+6 Might, Weapons
+5 Discipline, Athletics, Conviction
+4 Presence, Rapport, Alertness
+3 Craftmanship, Endurance, Fists
+2 Lore, Contacts, Guns, Intimidate
+1 Deceit, Driving, Resources, Scholarship

POWERS

[-6] Mythic Might
[-6] Mythic Toughness
[+3] Catch: Silver
[+0] Inhuman Constitution; Nephilim never suffer from old age and eventually recover from most wounds.
[-1] Sacred Guardian
[-1] Weapon Focus; +1 weapon rolls with blade weapons
[-1] Absorb Punishment; reduce stress from extra shifts on a successful attack by 2
[-1] Swordsage; the character has a supernatural focus and link to her skill with her weapon. Like swordsmen of legend, she can use it to perform humanly impossible defenses such as bat ranged attacks out of the air or use her absolute focus to defeat mental intrusion. She uses Weapons for defense against physical and mental attacks and maneuers.
[+1] Human Form, applied to the following;
  * [-2] Hulking Size; Lavoera is seven feet seven inches in her true form,
   with a wingspan of thirty feet.
  * [-1] Nimble; due to her dexterity and training enemies take no bonus
   to hit Lavoera in her true form. She still can't easily navigate small spaces,
   interact with many man-sized devices and is painfully obvious.
  * [-1] Wings
[+2] Items of Power;
  * [-1] Robes of the North Wind
     * Indestructible
     * It is what it is; the robes are indestructible and cover much of the wearer.
        As such they are armor 3 - well-aimed or powerful attacks can still land.
     * Like the Wind; the wearer of the robes can move 2 zones
        as a supplemental action once er exchange without penalty.
  * [-2] Spellshear
     * Indestructible
     * It is what it is; Spellshear is a weapon 3 longsword.
        It is also made of iron and counts as a holy object.
     * True Strike
     * Spellbane; Spellshear gives a +2 bonus to weapon rolls vs magic (usually spells).
        I.e. it can more easily penetrate magic blocks or deflect spells with swordsage.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:53:07 PM by Belial666 »

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
Re: Angelic character writeup.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
Wow.  Your angel would kick my angel's ass.  But then mine was done with 8 refresh and has since gotten two skill points in XP.  ;D

My character is an Exiled Seraphim who has been stripped of almost all of his Divinity, had his memory wiped and then merged with the soul of a newborn child.  He had no idea what he was until the last couple of years and still doesn't know if he served Heaven or Hell.  He is an artist who works as a bartender and always seems to wander into trouble with the supernatural community who don't currently know what he is.  And he wants to keep it that way. 

TEMPLATE: Exiled Seraphim
HIGH CONCEPT: Outcast Seraphim Artist
TROUBLE: Caught Between Heaven and Hell

APECTS: 
MY SWORD IS A PART OF ME
THE RIGHT MAN IN THE WRONG PLACE
MORE THAN SKIN DEEP
RIGHTEOUS WRATH
TELL ME YOUR SORROWS, FOR I KNOW WELL OF SIN

Profane Form SKILLS (30+2)
Superb (+5):
Great (+4):
Good (+3): Conviction, Endurance, Performance, Presence, Weapons
Fair (+2): Athletics, Discipline, Fists, Rapport, Stealth
Average (+1): Alertness, Contacts, Deceit, Empathy, Intimidation, Lore, Scholarship

Divine Form SKILLS (30+2)
Superb (+5): Athletics, Weapons
Great (+4): Conviction, Endurance
Good (+3): Fists, Presence
Fair (+2): Intimidate, Might
Average (+1): Alertness, Discipline, Lore, Stealth

POWERS
HUMAN FORM +1
•   Inhuman Speed -2
•   Inhuman Recovery -2
•   Catch Magic/Restricted +2

DIVINE (BEAST) CHANGE  -1
•   Wings -1
•   Inhuman Strength -2
•   Inhuman Toughness -2
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »
That's a -17 refresh character right there Bel. You been looking at Tbora's game plans? ;)

If you find a couple other players, I might be interested in trying a new very high refresh game.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
@HumAnnoyd;
Well, Lavoera is a full-grown (though still young) Nephilim. She's supposed to be as physically strong as the average angel when assuming physical form. Which she kind of is; she could lift a tank one-handed and peel off vault doors with no effort.

@MijRai;
It has been two weeks that game hasn't seen an update, right? Sorry to see such an interesting concept not work. If we could find more players, yes, I'd be really interested to try out a high-power game.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
@HumAnnoyd;
Well, Lavoera is a full-grown (though still young) Nephilim. She's supposed to be as physically strong as the average angel when assuming physical form. Which she kind of is; she could lift a tank one-handed and peel off vault doors with no effort.

@MijRai;
It has been two weeks that game hasn't seen an update, right? Sorry to see such an interesting concept not work. If we could find more players, yes, I'd be really interested to try out a high-power game.

I'd try it. I didn't like the whole 'Globetrotters' idea though. What do you think of this?
A lycanthropy disease runs amok across the planet (think zombies, but magical, more like loup-garou, with more weaknesses. Normal bullets would eventually get the job done). Vampires have come back to the top during the chaos, human know about the supernatural (and have the pitchforks and torches ready), and the heavyweights are starting to throw their weight around (Odin becoming the president for Scandinavia, Duchess Ortega ruling Brazil, etc.). We work to kill the monsters, save the unchanged, and stop the cause. Slaughtering vampires is a bonus (unless they caused it). Saving other were-beasts caught up in the pogrom-like frenzy (the Alphas aren't quite as popular as they used to be) is another thing to do. The politics are pretty rough, think identification of the supernatural, 'mandatory' declarations of your magical abilities, etc. Black juju shoots through the roof.

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:53:32 PM »
That's a huge amount of chaos there. The potential for worldwide conflicts with nukes from one side and epic rituals from the other and Elder Things crawling through the Gates would outshine anything the PCs do in the end.

What about a paramilitary organization that is planning to unleash such a plague? Not knowingly; they've been experimenting with Lycanthropy and magic ever since some of them got bitten by a man cursed with it. And, again not knowingly, they are guided by certain dark powers.

Big enough organization and it could prove a challenge even for high-power PCs. They got a fortress somewhere in South America or the Himalayas and lots of troops with weapons that are resistant to magical interference. WWII machineguns only with improved ammo, old german recoiless rifles (bazookas), landmines, magical landmines, wardings. And some of them are practitioners while most of them are infected by the curse and slowly going mad.
It would be a good opportunity to finally fire a GAU-8/A on the PCs. Or even many of them at the same time; even with Weapon 7 Armor Piercing 2, the really tough PCs could take several bursts without consequences. And that is if they don't manage to defend against the bursts.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:59:48 PM »
Hmm. Scaling Lavoera to fit in different game styles actually wouldn't be too difficult. I'm still finishing up my initial read-through of the rules but my sample character to test out parts of the character generation method was a port of an older character from an Amber Diceless RPG game. The poor girl went from being a Lady of Chaos with Advanced Shapeshifting, high Psyche and Warfare to something that would fit in a Feet in the Water campaign. Mostly chose that power level to see how well I could adapt ideas in this system. Thus far it doesn't seem that painful. I could write up a stronger version that would take up about as much refresh as your angel but mostly it's just a matter of the scales shifting on the numbers. I wouldn't mind seeing the game you guys are talking about.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
For scaling interests, Lavoera started from my 8-refresh Nephilim base template. I added wings, a couple of stunts, items of power and scaled up her toughness and strength to mythic.
If, on the other hand, you want to downsize, reducing Nephilim to 5 refresh for a teenage Nephilim is just as easy; simply downgrade to only Inhuman Strength and remove Hulking Size.

For your Lady of Chaos, start her out with Modular Abilities 2 modified by Human Form and Hellfire Sponsored Magic modified by Item of Power for a Feet in the Water game (-5 refresh). She has the chaos magic there and she could take inhuman speed, inhuman strength, supernatural toughness with holy catch, claws and wings, claws and cloak of shadows, claws and blood drinker and similar 2-point combinations that fit the situation.
I am currently playing such a character in a submerged game. She's pretty fun. Especially when other people are terrified of her Outsider heritage when she's totally clueless. And kind of cute.

My templates, which cover both the Outsider chick and Nephilim, are here;
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,20398.0.html

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
That's a huge amount of chaos there. The potential for worldwide conflicts with nukes from one side and epic rituals from the other and Elder Things crawling through the Gates would outshine anything the PCs do in the end.

What about a paramilitary organization that is planning to unleash such a plague? Not knowingly; they've been experimenting with Lycanthropy and magic ever since some of them got bitten by a man cursed with it. And, again not knowingly, they are guided by certain dark powers.

Big enough organization and it could prove a challenge even for high-power PCs. They got a fortress somewhere in South America or the Himalayas and lots of troops with weapons that are resistant to magical interference. WWII machineguns only with improved ammo, old german recoiless rifles (bazookas), landmines, magical landmines, wardings. And some of them are practitioners while most of them are infected by the curse and slowly going mad.
It would be a good opportunity to finally fire a GAU-8/A on the PCs. Or even many of them at the same time; even with Weapon 7 Armor Piercing 2, the really tough PCs could take several bursts without consequences. And that is if they don't manage to defend against the bursts.

Chaos fun. Besides, my wizard can put out a 10 shift block that lasts 3 exchanges as a 1 mental stress ROTE. Come on rockets, I'll top you with walls of fire. Maybe just let the disease loose in one city, city is quarantined by the government, while only the ones inside know. Have a few cities worldwide currently infected, and the governments with the cities all are hush-hush.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »
Yeah, only a few cities being infected is good. Maybe even whoever is causing this has built a lycanthrope army in some remote location.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »
Yeah, only a few cities being infected is good. Maybe even whoever is causing this has built a lycanthrope army in some remote location.

Have it in Denver. Some pretty remote mountains are only a few hours away. And that area used to have plenty of wolves.

Also, get on the chat! Much easier to communicate.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:39:08 AM »
For your Lady of Chaos, start her out with Modular Abilities 2 modified by Human Form and Hellfire Sponsored Magic modified by Item of Power for a Feet in the Water game (-5 refresh). She has the chaos magic there and she could take inhuman speed, inhuman strength, supernatural toughness with holy catch, claws and wings, claws and cloak of shadows, claws and blood drinker and similar 2-point combinations that fit the situation.
I am currently playing such a character in a submerged game. She's pretty fun. Especially when other people are terrified of her Outsider heritage when she's totally clueless. And kind of cute.

I was going with 3 points of Modular Abilities and wizard's constitution (seemed to kind of fit, aside from the name). At 3 points I can swing a lot of interesting tricks but wouldn't have access to anything really powerful. Probably keep it set to Supernatural Recovery with a Catch by default unless I needed a different trick. I don't think Human Form works with Modular Abilities very well though. You need to use MA to get the trick to begin with so the only ability you have all the time which you could attach Human Form to would be the Modular Abilities themselves. And that's not going to work for obvious reasons. :)  I left off the Hellfire, it didn't really seem necessary.

I'd kicked around a few ideas for how to run her. Clueless was one possibility. I'd even considered getting her Marked by Power, an "advantage" she'd be trying desperately to get rid of as soon as she learned she was the pawn in someone else's chess game. I stopped about halfway into making her because I figured if I actually played her I'd need a group for the rest of it anyway.