Author Topic: Evocation Blocks and Defensive Rolls  (Read 1550 times)

Offline blcahill

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Evocation Blocks and Defensive Rolls
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
I understand there are threads discussing evocations block as defensive rolls. This is a question on evocation blocks plus defensive rolls.

In a sample on YS252 it mentions Harry putting up a power 5 block. The spirit blows through the block with a attack of 7, beating both Harry's block and normal defense and he takes 2 shifts of stress.

Two questions:

1. Does this mean if you take down a block you also get your normal defensive roll? It sounds like yes from this example. 

2. When determining shifts of stress. Does a block stop any stress? So a 5 block vs 7 attack would have 2 shifts, or does the defensive roll determine the shifts of stress that land?

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation Blocks and Defensive Rolls
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »
I would think the block would lower the shifts that result from the effort, so any remaining shifts would be what would be dealt with.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
1. Yes. A Block does not replace defense, it adds another layer.
If the block is beaten by the attack, you get another chance to defend with your normal defense skill.

2. The higher of the two rolls determines the outcome of the attack. So if a 5-block is beaten by a 7-attack, and you then roll 6 on your defense, 1 shift is produced. If the defense roll was for example a 3, the 5-block would be used to resolve the attack, resulting in 2 shifts.

Offline blcahill

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:59 PM »
Thank you

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:43:50 AM »
I understand there are threads discussing evocations block as defensive rolls. This is a question on evocation blocks plus defensive rolls.

In a sample on YS252 it mentions Harry putting up a power 5 block. The spirit blows through the block with a attack of 7, beating both Harry's block and normal defense and he takes 2 shifts of stress.

Two questions:

1. Does this mean if you take down a block you also get your normal defensive roll? It sounds like yes from this example. 

2. When determining shifts of stress. Does a block stop any stress? So a 5 block vs 7 attack would have 2 shifts, or does the defensive roll determine the shifts of stress that land?
Having a block is like having two defenses.

Situation: I have a 5 shift block going on me and my Athletics is Good (+3).

Case 1:  Thug #1 tries to stab me with a knife and rolls Great (4).  I don't have to roll Athletics because the block protects me.  I can roll anyway (say I got a Superb, oh well, didn't matter).

Case 2:  Thug #2 tries to punch me in the face and rolls Superb (5), well that gets rid of my block, but I get to roll Athletics anyway.  Crap, I rolled Fair Athletics (-1 on 4dF).  Well, at least I had the block so they succeed with 0 effect since they got a Superb attack roll and I had a 5 shift block (I only take stress equal to the weapon rating, which is 0).  Without the block, I would've faced a 3 physical stress (Weapon:0 + 3 effect) instead of nothing.  So even though Thug #2 hits me, he doesn't hit me in a way that inflicts stress.

That is how blocks work.

In the example in the book, the spirit apparently is unarmed (Weapon:0) and since it got 7 (2 higher than the blocks shifts).
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.