Author Topic: [IoP] The Golden Scimitar  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
[IoP] The Golden Scimitar
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:36:31 AM »
I am thinking of using this item of power:

Item of Power [+2]: The Golden Scimitar
Marked By Power [-1] (Allah)
Holy Touch [-1]
Bless This House [-1]

To use this item the character has to already have a High Concept that mentions Allah (for Marked By Power) and Righteousness (for Holy Touch).

So, I have some questions:

Could the character uses the sword's Bless This House to increase the strength of a threshold and then leave the sword behind and have the effect persist? Obviously the character is choosing to make use of the sword in this way so they wouldn't get a compel on the sword's aspect because they have been denied its use.

If the character also has Bless This House would the two powers stack like they would if they were on separate characters?

Holy Touch lists skills affected as "Many", but it only mentions the effect for the Fists skill. Would the sword do +1 stress when used with the Weapons skill? If so, would you also get the +1 stress when using Fists while the sword is sheathed?

Would Holy Touch's compel effect work when touching a creature with your hand or would you have to touch it with the sword?

And finally, I find this bit really vague, "This could qualify your touch as satisfying a Catch for the Toughness powers of some creatures." How are other people interpreting this? Does it satisfy all "Holly Stuff" type catches?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: [IoP] The Golden Scimitar
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:08:27 AM »
Could the character uses the sword's Bless This House to increase the strength of a threshold and then leave the sword behind and have the effect persist? Obviously the character is choosing to make use of the sword in this way so they wouldn't get a compel on the sword's aspect because they have been denied its use.

I would say Yes (as they wont be getting it's other benifits) and because they may still be compelled related to the sword to have someone move it, take it, or otherwise void it's benifits.

If the character also has Bless This House would the two powers stack like they would if they were on separate characters?

I dont really see why the character would have it twice (paying for it twice seems kinda lame) so I dont really think this situation would ever arise, but if it somehow did, i would say Yes they would stack.

Holy Touch lists skills affected as "Many", but it only mentions the effect for the Fists skill. Would the sword do +1 stress when used with the Weapons skill? If so, would you also get the +1 stress when using Fists while the sword is sheathed?

I would say the +1 would Not stack as it doesnt say anything about it stacking. I would allow your fists to be a weapon one with the swords abilites but you would have to have it on your person, and for me personally, as a gm, i would require it to be unsheathed, but thats just me.

Would Holy Touch's compel effect work when touching a creature with your hand or would you have to touch it with the sword?

I would say, as long as the sword is "active" (which for me would be having the sword unsheathed) it would work, even if you dont touch them specifically with the sword.

And finally, I find this bit really vague, "This could qualify your touch as satisfying a Catch for the Toughness powers of some creatures." How are other people interpreting this? Does it satisfy all "Holly Stuff" type catches?

I would say it satisfies all "Holy Stuff" type catches and possibly other if it fits, though the others part is up to you/your gm.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:29:55 AM »
I dont really see why the character would have it twice (paying for it twice seems kinda lame) so I dont really think this situation would ever arise, but if it somehow did, i would say Yes they would stack.

For the character in question it isn't an issue and, as you point out, I don't think the situation would actually come up; but while I was thinking about the whole thing I realized that, technically, it was a possibility so I thought I would through the question out there.

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:45:50 AM »
I would say the +1 would Not stack as it doesnt say anything about it stacking.

Hmmm, I had not considered this as a stacking issue, good point.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:16:32 AM »
Mechanics look fine to me. I'd change the description a bit though.
'Scimitar' is a generic term, and I'd go with something more... Middle-Eastern. Maybe Saif? That means Sword. I'm trying to think of how to combine sword and faith. Carrying the Sword of Faith would be good, so long as you don't get mixed up with Fidelacchius.
Also, there is a sword in Islam that you could use as the basis. Muhammed's two tipped sword.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
I'd change the description a bit though. 'Scimitar' is a generic term, and I'd go with something more...

In this particular case, I was being specific, not generic.  So you'll have to take that up with Marvel Comics. :)