Author Topic: Psychics  (Read 1703 times)

Offline ThereWolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Psychics
« on: August 08, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
Two-fold question. One, do you guys think it's possible to have an honest to goodness precognitive character running around the Dresdenverse? Like Cassandra's Tears, but without the disbelief. I suppose Abby would qualify, but her's was only a few seconds into the future, and I'm talking about big stuff. I honestly don't see why not, except that it might qualify as violating the Sixth Law of Magic.
Part two to that is, how would it work mechanically, if so? Maybe as a form of thaumaturgy, or even sponsored magic? Perhaps it could be a power that could only be compelled by the GM, not activated by the player, or only could be activated by spending a fate point? I'd love some feedback on this.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: Psychics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
Well, it wouldn't violate the Sixth Law, since that bans going against the flow of time. Traveling to the past is bad, seeing ahead is fine. As far as making the power, have Cassandra's Tears, then add refresh to it to take away the bad and add more good, like being able to focus where you see. Viola, a Seer!

As far as mechanics, have it for compells, and if you use a Fate Point for it, have the GM decide what you see, or at least has a big word in it. Say you look into the future of an area. The GM wants a big kung-fu fight scene there later on. He tells you that you see fists flying, bones breaking, maybe describe the area. When you finally get there, you recognize it. Maybe it'll even let you declare and tag an aspect in the area, to give you a bonus in a fight.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »
It is possible.  And not that hard to handle (assuming the GM carefully plans out scenes in advance).

Notice how I crossed out "carefully" above?  That is because the way precognition works in DFrpg, it allows a character to assess (identify) or declare aspects in the world.

Assuming a GM has determined the 8 or so possible scenes in a scenario, most scenes should have their scene aspects (and possible character appearances) mapped out.

So the GM knows that the waterfront district has a scene aspect of "Shadowed Alleys Swallow All Sound."  All the GM has to do is pass such a note ("Shadowed Alleys Swallow All Sound") with maybe a brief description of some other sense's experience ("Smell: Salt Spray").  Or you can forgo the alternate sense experience and when the scene in question appears, allow an alertness roll to recognize a sense of déjà vu.

Acts of the player making world declarations can be used to help decide future scenes or scenarios.  And there is no need for the GM to allow player originating world aspects to apply to this scene (in fact, I would never allow such a level of precognition to apply to the current scene) or even the next scene.

But you could also pass aspects related to characters, like an aspect related to someone's temper ("Tinderbox Temper") that could be tagged to avoid an ambush (as the temper NPC goes from social to physical conflict) or for an initiative bonus (for at least the first exchange).  Or it could be tagged to compel (although I guess this gives the NPC a fate point) the NPC to break the peace first.

Don't forget however that the visions (aspects) granted by precognition don't HAVE to be used.  Clues gleamed could be slightly irrelevant ("red herrings") to the scenario objective.  Maybe the local mafioso has nothing to do with the disappearance of a missing person (but knows the missing guy has a Red Court Venom Addiction), but when you give players any detail (even if you tell them it is worthless) they will follow it to a dead end, then break their skulls pounding their heads against that dead end.  So if you decide to lead your precog on a false trail, try to be kind and allow some sort of clue to come from it.

For example, in Storm Front
(click to show/hide)

To handle these red herring visions, you could just make a list of scene aspects related to general activities of all Face characters in your city.  A Malvora (or other fear WCV) might have the obvious fear feeding scenes, but could also be a bank manager that collects fear by scaring people with home foreclosures (****ing banks  :P  ).

If you do Cassandra's Tears without the disbelief, I would probably value it at [-1].  Maybe more depending on the character.  A minor talent, [-1] seems really fair.  If a player wants to over use it, keep a list of false aspects that will never come up (or again, reveal a slight variation of something the character already knows or something they just want, another red herring).  In Small Favor,
(click to show/hide)
  An example of a false prophecy could be a character assuming he is really slick and "predicting" that this pretty woman behind the desk can be sweet talked into allowing them to visit with her boss without a prior appointment, so he thinks he has a "I'm Just Her Type" aspect to tag, but really she could have the "Not Another Sleazebag.  SECURITY!" aspect.

As to how it works.  It is clearly an Assessment or a Declaration (YS 324).  There is no reason to use any sort of spellcasting system.  I would say it is Alertness or Lore based.  Alertness because that is the skill associated with passive perception, but Lore because Lore represents "Mystic Perception."
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
The farther ahead you look, the crazier you get because you're seeing ALL the possible outcomes and you have to keep track of which ones are most likely while simultaneously trying to live in real time. It's like trying to do calculus in your head while driving a car. It gets difficult.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »
The farther ahead you look, the crazier you get because you're seeing ALL the possible outcomes and you have to keep track of which ones are most likely while simultaneously trying to live in real time. It's like trying to do calculus in your head while driving a car. It gets difficult.
Only people like Abby that see the possible outcomes.

True precognition (like Cassandra's Tears) see portions of the actual future.  And part of it is supposed to be that the future itself is unavoidable.  That is why seeing only a small portion (a few seconds) is actually useful as there is little risk of paradox (you are using your knowledge of a set up or intro to better plan your response, you aren't trying to prevent the encounter).

For example, Cassandra (in the Iliad) was a princess that foresaw her new baby brother would one day bring about the fall of Troy and kill them all.  So her parents sent baby Paris to be killed, but instead he was given to a sheep farmer.  He later visited the city and was recognized for who he was and the King was like "F***."  So to try to kill him off he sent Paris to act as an emissary to the "true Greece" hoping he would do something to get himself killed.  Unfortunately this got him introduced to Helen and that is when the true poop hit the fan.  There was even a second warning from an oracle that said the Horse was a bad omen, but Poseidon intervened to have a sea monster (kraken?) drag the man from shallow waves into the sea!

So Cassandra foresaw the doom of Troy and her blood (I think of her family, only she herself survived) being caused by Paris, but instead of seeing the true cause (Paris meeting Helen).  If Paris had been raised by his family, he might have married a Trojan woman like his older brother!  Now maybe that wouldn't stop him from falling for Helen, but it could have been a situation where only Hector would be sent to Greece as an emissary instead of both of them (in which case he would not have met Helen).

The 6th Law is all about preventing paradox.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.