Author Topic: Handling a Djinn  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Aohd

• Participant
    • View Profile
Handling a Djinn
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »
If a player wanted to play a Djinn, or the master of a bound Djinn how would you handle that in your game?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:34:39 PM by Aohd »

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
Re: Handling a Djinn
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
Aww... I saw the title and wanted to say something about a vacuum cleaner  or a bucket of water (beings of "smokeless flame" and all...)

But in all seriousness, it depends on which take of Djinn you want to go with. Djinn as another name/kind of angel might make things twitchy and difficult, but in typical Dresdenverse it would seem that they're completely unrelated so that part's up to you and the player.

As for playing as a Djinn, just stack up some Nevernever powers (Swift Transition and Gaseous Form come to mind), maybe a Recovery/Toughness with a Catch of holy stuff, and possibly even Channeling or something.

For a master of a bound djinn, I'd err on the side of treating like an enchanted item, but more mechanics than that I'd need some time to work out.

Offline Aohd

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:47:09 PM »
For a master of a bound djinn, I'd err on the side of treating like an enchanted item, but more mechanics than that I'd need some time to work out.

My first thought here was sponsored magic, but I could see an argument for enchanted item. 

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »
I could see a decent argument for Sponsored Magic depending on its intended benefits, but for a more Solomon or Genie of the Lamp style binding it would probably just be an item which you use to summon it (as you've already got it bound). As long as they're not trying to summon 'ifrits or marids, myth-wise the most powerful djinn, then I feel like a fair item strength would be 5-7.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
Give him his three wishes, and make it ugly. Djinn don't like people. They view us as inferior, from what I understand and their servitude as horrible punishment. So make it like the X-Files episode where you had better phrase your wish juuuust so.

Because it'd be funny.

Just have a back door deus ex machina in case they unmake existance or something on accident.