Author Topic: Inhuman Speed  (Read 1834 times)

Offline DTFarstar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Inhuman Speed
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »
I apologize if this has been mentioned before, I went through the search function and couldn't find anything that specifically addressed it.

Ok, so, Inhuman Speed says "Your Alertness is at +4 for the purpose of determining initiative" under Improved Initiative. A friend of mine and fellow player in our chronicle is trying to convince us that that means that regardless of what your Alertness score IS, it is treated as Great(+4) for the purpose of initiative. We had interpreted it to mean that you get your Alertness + 4, so if you had Alertness 1, it would be 5 for the purpose of initiative, if it was Alertness 3 it would be 7, and if you somehow had Alertness -2, you would have a 2 for the purpose of initiative. I was hoping the community here would weigh in with their thoughts of whose interpretation is correct on this matter.

Thank you in advance for your time,
DTF

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Inhuman Speed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure your interpretation is correct; at a minimum, it wouldn't make much sense for someone with alertness +5 to have their initiative go *down* from having inhuman speed.  If you want to track down proof (I'd offer a page reference but I don't have the books with me), just find something in OW with inhuman speed and a listed value for initiative.  At least, I think they list that (see: don't have books with me).

Offline DTFarstar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »
Yeah, that was my thought too, but I also am bereft of books right now.

DTF

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
Hellhound. Page 46, Our World.

Alertness +3
Inhuman Speed +4 to Initiative
+7 total = Epic Initiative, just as described in the Notes.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
You're totally right DTFarstar, it is in addition to the alertness rather than replacing it. Here's an OW example if you need it, found on page 46, I've bolded the relevant bits :)
HELLHOUND
High Concept: Hell hound
Other Aspects: once Man, Now Beast
Skills
Alertness: Good (+3)
Athletics: Good (+3)
Endurance: Fair (+2)
Fists: Good (+3)
Intimidation: Fair (+2)
Presence: Average (+1)
Survival: Fair (+2)
Most other physical skills default to Average, the rest to Mediocre (or worse).
Stunts
Catch the Scent (Alertness): Use Alertness instead of Investigation when tracking prey.
Unflappable (Presence): Armor:1 against Intimidation attacks.
Powers
Claws [–1]
Echoes of the Beast [–1] (Hound)
Inhuman Speed [–2]
Pack Instincts [–1]
Stress
Mental oo Physical ooo Social ooo
Notes
Epic initiative, Weapon:2 teeth, Good attack, Great defense, and fast on its feet. Individually survivable—but deadly as a pack.
Total Refresh Cost: –7

Edit - Dammit Arcteryx! It took me ages to format that and, originally, I chose the Elf as an example, formatting it all until I realised that his Alertness was just mediocre so it didn't specifically state it. Ah well, you win :P

Offline DTFarstar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
Well, for a first post I would say this went well. I look forward to bouncing around here as a member, the community seems awesome. Reminds me of Dumpshock. Thanks for the fast responses, everyone.

DTF

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 06:42:35 AM »
Edit - Dammit Arcteryx! It took me ages to format that and, originally, I chose the Elf as an example, formatting it all until I realised that his Alertness was just mediocre so it didn't specifically state it. Ah well, you win :P

bahahaha! ah well, the only winner was the OP... I just dumped the appropriate bits that proved the point, thas all...