Author Topic: Rituals and Potions for a Tea Mistress  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
Rituals and Potions for a Tea Mistress
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:45:44 AM »
So, I need some idea for my half-oni tea mistress, I have a Lore of Fair, so that means 2 rituals and I left open 4 slots for potions and kinda like some ideas

She specializes in weak, easily cast ceremonies that provide minor blessings, stuff she could hide in the normal duties of being a Tea Mistress at a tea house.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:49:24 AM by Thrythlind »
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
Re: Rituals and Potions for a Tea Mistress
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:23:24 AM »
Two things, first, if we're talking about the same one from the Scion thread:

First, unless I missed something, her Tea Set Focus Item is set up for channeling/evocation (bonuses to Defensive Control and Power), which it appears she doesn't have. If it's meant to apply to her Ritual power, then you need only specify Complexity (added to her Lore to determine her "no-prep" rituals) or Control. Alternatively, you could have them set up to increase the Strength of her potions/teas.

Second, the maximum number/power of the bonuses a Focus Item provides is limited by a character's Lore. So she would need to split those +2's into separate items

But with that out of the way, I love the concept.

Finally, I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but...

Tea of Relaxation
Duration: One Scene
Opposed by: Target's Conviction
Effect: Superb (+5) effect to maneuver the sticky temporary aspect Relaxed onto the drinker.
Variations: Any kind of emotion-nudging potions; use additional potion slots, or invoke aspects, to increase strength.

Place of Peace
Type: Thaumaturgy, Tea Ceremony (for a broader approach, either Wards or Transformation, I think)
Complexity: 5 shifts
Duration: One scene
Effect: Targeted location gains the temporary aspect A Place of Peace. Anyone attempting violence must succeed against a Great (+4) effect to overcome the aspect. (not sure how kosher this is...)
Variations: Treat it as a straight-up Superb (+5) block/ward against violence, rather than an aspect, lasting for a day.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:21:31 AM by Myrddhin »

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:35:44 AM »
I think you're confusing the issue of rituals (Thaumaturgy or, well, Ritual workings) with evocation Rotes (the number of which is limited by Lore).
You can know as many rituals as you like. No maximum number there.

For potions and Rituals, Lore restricts the power level you can achieve without preparation, not the number of ritual-spells known to you.
For a simple/weak effect (probably a maneuver) you'd need maybe 3-5 shifts of power + maybe a few more for duration, so that the effect can last a longer than one scene.

So maybe you can brew some Ginseng Tea that gives the user the aspect "vigorous" for a few hours. That would look like this.

Ginseng Tea: 3 shift maneuver Aspect "Vigorous" + 3 shifts for duration a few hours -> 6 shifts total
(how many shifts of duration are actually needed to achieve "a few hours" of duration is up to your group)

To cast this with a lore of fair, you'd need to create two aspects to tag first, maybe something like
a resources declare for "first rate ingredients" to describe the high quality of the ginseng you're using
and
a discipline declare for "traditional tea ceremony" denoting your precise concentration

then tag those two aspects for +2 each, add that to your Lore of +2, and cast the ritual as per the ritual rules.
as long as you give the Tea to the intended "target" of the ritual right away, you wouldn't even need a potion slot to do all that.

Potion slots are only needed if you wan't to store the effect for later instantaneous use.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 01:50:52 AM »
I see...it would be kind of a combination.  In some cases, keep a particular type of tea on hand for emergencies.

If there's no limit to the number of rituals, then basically yeah, she could taylor each tea ceremony to the individual targets

and for a full ceremony there are elements such as the flowers chosen to be on hand

also, ack, fixed the write up
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants