Author Topic: were-form character build  (Read 1977 times)

Offline BlackDog42

• Lurker
    • View Profile
were-form character build
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »
So a friend and i were debating about the build for a were-form:

"In addition, the following supernatural powers must be taken:
      Beast Change [–1] (page 174) Echoes of the Beast [–1] (page 163) Human Form [+1] (page 176) At least two refresh points’ worth of abilities from the options list below. The Beast Change ability allows the player to restructure his skills when in animal form. This second skill configuration should be worked out before play begins. See page 174 for details. Options: The character may take up to two of these abilities—Inhuman Recovery [–2] (page 185), Inhuman Speed [–2] (page 178), Inhuman Strength [–2] (page 183), or Inhuman Toughness [–2] (page 185)—so long as those abilities are in sync with the animal form he assumes. Similarly, abilities may be taken from the Creature Feature category (page 162) or the Minor Ability category (page 169) if they can be shown to be a part of the creature’s natural advantages."

So to me, i see that as you NEED to take: beast change, echoes of the beast, human form, and one of (Inhuman Recovery, Inhuman Speed, Inhuman Strength, or Inhuman Toughness). beyond that you may take more based on the refresh you have left.

He says you can use the minor talents or creature feature category to fullfill the "At least two refresh points’ worth of abilities from the options list below" requirement.

How have you all been doing it? or how would you do it?
Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Are you having a beer?" Descartes says, "I think not," and ceases to exist.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: were-form character build
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:10:36 PM »
So a friend and i were debating about the build for a were-form:

"In addition, the following supernatural powers must be taken:
      Beast Change [–1] (page 174) Echoes of the Beast [–1] (page 163) Human Form [+1] (page 176) At least two refresh points’ worth of abilities from the options list below. The Beast Change ability allows the player to restructure his skills when in animal form. This second skill configuration should be worked out before play begins. See page 174 for details. Options: The character may take up to two of these abilities—Inhuman Recovery [–2] (page 185), Inhuman Speed [–2] (page 178), Inhuman Strength [–2] (page 183), or Inhuman Toughness [–2] (page 185)—so long as those abilities are in sync with the animal form he assumes. Similarly, abilities may be taken from the Creature Feature category (page 162) or the Minor Ability category (page 169) if they can be shown to be a part of the creature’s natural advantages."

So to me, i see that as you NEED to take: beast change, echoes of the beast, human form, and one of (Inhuman Recovery, Inhuman Speed, Inhuman Strength, or Inhuman Toughness). beyond that you may take more based on the refresh you have left.

He says you can use the minor talents or creature feature category to fullfill the "At least two refresh points’ worth of abilities from the options list below" requirement.

How have you all been doing it? or how would you do it?

Your friend is right. The text of the "Musts" section says you must take 2 points worth of powers from the options list. The text of the "Options" section says you can take any two of the Inhuman physical powers and any minor abilities or creature features that make sense. The two sentences are all part of the same Options section. Consider for example the wererat--none of the Inhuman powers make a lot of sense for a rat, so why would you be forced to take one?

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Well, looking at how it's written in the books, you don't need to take any of the Inhuman powers, and, in fact, you can only take them if you can justify them being in line with animal you become (Example: Inhuman Strength and Toughness would pass muster for a were-gorilla, but not a were-raven). Further, I'd say that your friend is right about the Creature Features and Minor Abilities as they are part of the Options list which Human Form requires you to pick from.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »
Narrative trumps rules every time. I'd allow people to forget echo of the beast (for creatures that don't have relevant stunts, or for were-forms that suppress their animal side) or take other powers as long as it made sense; I'm sure someone somewhere wants to play a were-unicorn or a were-vampire bat.

Also, I came up with an interesting variant for beast change:

Horrific Beast Change [-2] - As normal beast change; however the change is particularly gruesome and brutal. Either your new form bursts out of your human body in a shower of gore and viscera, or your body mutates in an insanity-inducing display of ripped sinews and broken bones.
Effects: As normal, plus when you change the effect is so shocking that people that see it have the fragile aspect 'horrified' until the end of that exchange.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:01 PM »
Narrative trumps rules every time. I'd allow people to forget echo of the beast (for creatures that don't have relevant stunts, or for were-forms that suppress their animal side) or take other powers as long as it made sense; I'm sure someone somewhere wants to play a were-unicorn or a were-vampire bat.

I don't think forgetting Echoes of the Beast would be a good idea or make sense.  Remember, whatever animal/beast-form someone has, would have senses which are used in a much different fashion than human senses.  Humans rely on the senses of sight, sound, smell, touch and taste.  Most animals rely upon those same senses, but operating on a level (or several levels) above that of a plain human.  Some animals (sharks, certain birds, etc) also have additional senses which people do not have.  Sharks (at least the predatory ones like the Great White) are able to detect variations in the EM field that people and animals generate biologically.  This allows for some sharks to detect which fish are in distress and would therefore make better or easier prey than other fish.  Some species of migratory birds are able to navigate over very long distances back and forth to the same locations, year after year.  How this is done is not entirely understood, whether the birds can pick up on variations in the Earth's magnetic field, or by recognizing the RF signals from certain stars has not been entirely determined.

In any case, animals have and can use their senses in ways that people can't, as such I would leave Echoes of the Beast in place.  Unless of course one wanted to play a were-homo erectus, but then again, that is nearly human anyway, so why bother.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »
While that is a decent point, Todjaeger, there's also the question of skill and experience.  A character who has only recently gained the ability to turn into a wolf, for example, might have the wolf's keen nose... but have no idea what all these scents mean, how to process them, etc.

As far as "skippable" stuff - I've actually built one shapeshifter who skipped Beast Change; his skill list worked perfectly well for both of his forms, so I simply had no use for an alternate skill set.  (And the combination of Wings, Claws, and Diminutive Size all linked to Human Form covered the actual shapeshifting part just fine.)

CMEast: I like the concept, but I think the implementation could use a little work - for example, a character with a high discipline (or maybe just one who'd seen it too many times already) might reasonably object that no, they're not horrified.  Here's my alternative notion:

Horrific Change [-1]
Musts: You must already have some means of personal transformation, from an ability such as Beast Change, Flesh Mask, or Human Form.
Effect: When you shift, you may make a social attack or maneuver with your intimidate skill as a free action.  This intimidate check is at a -1 penalty, but suffers no further penalties from, say, you using a supplemental action on shapeshifting, nor does it apply any penalty to whatever your main action this round is.  This ability can only be used once per scene*.

*In some cases, you may be able to use it a second time, if it's against someone who did not witness the original transformation - this sort of thing is up to GM discretion, though.

I *think* that's only a -1 power, but I'm not entirely certain.  It's potentially a bit stronger than what you posted, if you've got a good intimidate skill - but it's also got the weakness that people can try to defend against it, and someone with a high discipline is unlikely to be impressed.