Author Topic: Having trouble with Aspects  (Read 7907 times)

Offline Loki5654

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble with Aspects
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 07:43:22 PM »
Point of Nerdity: A "Murder" is for crows. Ravens are an "Unkindness" or, occasionally, a "Conspiracy".

The corvidae family has such cool collective nouns. Crows: Murder, Ravens: Unkindness, Rooks: Parliament, Jackdaws: Clattering etc.

Back on topic: I do enjoy the reluctant hero aspect and enjoy designing characters with lots of hooks for the DM to grab onto. Maybe his family does know and just aren't able to tell him. Maybe his Great-uncle Munin is grooming him for something greater, maybe he's the great-great-(etc) grand-nephew of a former Archive. Maybe some Winter Court/White Court/Black Court higher ups are thinking "Ravens are cool, let's minion-ize him!" I'm not planning on writing out his background that deeply, but there are lots of possibilities out ther.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:05:19 PM by Loki5654 »

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
Well I think you've got the title of your First Story right there, "A Conspiracy of Ravens" staring Adrian Huggins.

Young Adrian has made a life for himself as a Librarian in Seattle when a part of his past he thought he left far behind him comes to his city and a malevolent flock of wereravens with a dark agenda show up one dreary midnight rapping at his chamber door.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:23:34 PM by Morgan »

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
Doh, you're right :) Thank you for being a nerd, they're my favourite kind of people.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »
Well I think you've got the title of your First Story right there, "A Conspiracy of Ravens" staring Adrian Huggins.

Young Adrian is made a life for himself as a Librarian in Seattle when a part of his past he thought he left far behind him comes to his city and a malevolent flock of wereravens with a dark agenda show up one dreary midnight rapping at his chamber door.

That sounds awesome!  Now we just need to find out how the character reacts to this situation.  What do the ravens want?  Does Adrian embrace his heritage to meet the pressures that the complicated situation puts on him?  How does this make him feel?  How does he grow from the experience?  In what ways does he still remain a flawed person?

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
That sounds awesome!  Now we just need to find out how the character reacts to this situation.  What do the ravens want?  Does Adrian embrace his heritage to meet the pressures that the complicated situation puts on him?  How does this make him feel?  How does he grow from the experience?  In what ways does he still remain a flawed person?

Yep all that, and what aspect he might have gotten from the story. But those questions should definitely be answered by his player. Which is where the Story Skeleton on Your Story p61 comes in mighty handy for figuring it all out.

The questions I'm really curious about is if he does have a Grandfather or Uncle who is in on the whole Wereraven thing, what part might he play in the conspiracy? And is Adrian related to any of these new Wereravens?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:30:50 PM by Morgan »

Offline Loki5654

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
While I think it is a compelling idea for a story, I'm kind of fond of the idea that while werewolves (the Alphas, etc.) are relatively common, other were-creatures are somewhat more rare. So the idea of an entire Unkindness of Wereravens may be a little out of line with that. I suppose it would be down to whatever DM ends up overseeing this character.

I'm starting to write up the Background part now and will post what I have for review soon.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
While I think it is a compelling idea for a story, I'm kind of fond of the idea that while werewolves (the Alphas, etc.) are relatively common, other were-creatures are somewhat more rare. So the idea of an entire Unkindness of Wereravens may be a little out of line with that. I suppose it would be down to whatever DM ends up overseeing this character.

Fair enough, but then again it only takes two to make a Conspiracy. ;) What if there is only one wereraven rapping at his door? His matched partner say?

I'm starting to write up the Background part now and will post what I have for review soon.

Awesome can't wait to see it.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »
While I think it is a compelling idea for a story, I'm kind of fond of the idea that while werewolves (the Alphas, etc.) are relatively common, other were-creatures are somewhat more rare. So the idea of an entire Unkindness of Wereravens may be a little out of line with that.

That's ok, the number can easily be changed, remember this is your story, you take what you want, drop the rest, and run with it.  The point of Phase 3 is to put a preliminary adventure in your character's background.  Adrian's response to what happens shapes his life significantly, which is what the Aspect represents.

Offline Loki5654

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
Phase One: Background
"Many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore..."

Adrian grew up in a small Alaskan town (Palmer) with his potato farmer parents. A shy, nerdish child, he has no idea that he is a direct descendant of Hugin, one of Odin's Ravens.

His heritage as a child of Thought and Memory gives him an insatiable curiosity for knowledge and a near-eidetic memory. He is constantly reading books, editing Wikipedia, addicted to TV-Tropes and an avid fan of all other sorts of information.

After High School, he received a scholarship to attend the University of Washington. He graduated with a degree in Library Sciences and currently works in the Archives of the University Libraries.

Phase Aspect:Odin's Memory Bank
Adrian has an encyclopedic knowledge on a vast variety of subjects and is always eager to learn more.
Invoke: To uncover or recall information.
Compel: To pique his curiosity and overcome his usual habit to "not get involved".

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
Nice, plus with Odin's name in the aspect you can also Compel him with quests, requests, and messages from the old, one-eyed, all-father as well.

But with Odin being a key part of the aspect you might also consider throwing in a strange visit by an old man into the back story, to really tie it together. Or maybe that sort of thing can keep till the Rising Conflict phase.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:18 PM »
Ooh, you can also probably use that for declarations of strange Lore that you shouldn't be able to know, tapping into ancient Norse magics and such.

Offline Loki5654

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 08:57:23 PM »
Phase Two: Rising Conflict
"From my books surcease of sorrow..."

Adrian has never fully embraced his were nature and has a strong desire to appear or be normal.

Ever since he discovered his shifter nature as a teen, he has done his best to suppress that part of his personality. Early on, this would lead to sessions of "sleep-shifting" where he would wake, naked, out in the Alaskan woods. Now an adult, he has learned to better control this problem, but he still wishes he didn't have to deal with it at all.

In pursuit of this he has begun secretly researching the paranormal and supernatural, attempting to find a cure for himself or a technique that will grant him better control.

Phase Aspect:Fight or Flight?
Adrian suppresses his wereraven nature, but sometimes has trouble controlling it.
Invoke: To avoid revealing his wereraven nature and conceal his abilities.
Compel: To force him to use his abilities when he would otherwise not.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:30:13 PM by Loki5654 »

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »
Phase Aspect:Restless Wing Syndrome
Adrian suppresses his wereraven nature, but sometimes has trouble controlling it.
Invoke: To avoid revealing his wereraven nature and conceal his abilities.

Hmm ... Restless Wing Syndrome wouldn't seem like something you could use to hide your nature.

Offline Loki5654

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
Hmm ... Restless Wing Syndrome wouldn't seem like something you could use to hide your nature.
Good point. I need a more descriptive title I think, or rework the Invoke/Compel.

Suggestions?

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
While not quite as amusing as Restless Wing Syndrome:
Fight or Flight could be creatively argued to match up with the Invoke/Compel setup. Invoking to help fight his nature and the urge to use his powers, and Compel to the opposite effect.