Author Topic: [Aspects] Compels for Gun-Fu?  (Read 7984 times)

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: [Aspects] Compels for Gun-Fu?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
Glad you like those Aspects, Arc. I see we share similar tastes, as well--the first and third choices are my favorites, and the rest are basically a smokescreen for the fact that I love making silly martial arts jokes (not that they aren't valid Aspects, mind you.)

I kind of want to make a character with the high concept of "Mystical Tibetan Hitman" now. He would be a blatantly stereotypical "secret master" or brash, youthful martial artist exposed to the big city for the first time--until he pulls out a pair of Ancient Submachine Guns From the Dawn of Time, and starts lining up trick shots reflecting from people's auras.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »
Its one of those things that sets the tone of a game - I mean, its so larger than life and cinematic. I see those ancient sub machine guns with those stereotypical Tibetan pennants hanging from the handles, flapping in the breeze and inscribed with inscriptions... It could really be cheeseball, but look at the guns that Hellboy carries, it can be pulled off and with the right backstory it could totally be done.

If Final Fantasy can do gunswords... hell yeah, we can do Tibetan hitmen.

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 03:29:06 AM »
If Final Fantasy can do gunswords... hell yeah, we can do Tibetan hitmen.

Mystical Tibetan Hitmen. They're not common thugs--these are the Secret Order of the World's Balance, who depose kings and end wars, ever hiding in the shadows of the world, so that the cosmos continues on in harmonious balance.

Or something like that.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »
There would have to be some awesome reason why they have those huge, giant bells out in the middle of nowhere. Beyond just having to let a few yak and yeti know what time of day it is. Maybe they're the heartbeats of our mortal world or something.

Offline black omega

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
Mystical Tibetan Hitmen. They're not common thugs--these are the Secret Order of the World's Balance, who depose kings and end wars, ever hiding in the shadows of the world, so that the cosmos continues on in harmonious balance.

I can see that.

Chuin:  The masters of Sinanju kill to promote harmony.  We have done this since the drawn of time.  For example, Napolean.  The greek boy, Alexander.  Robin Hood.

Remo:  Robin Hood?!

Chuin: A bandit!

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 06:57:29 PM »
"I'm your huckleberry."

Granted, it's not what most think of for Gun-Fu, but it is still an awesome Gunfighter line
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
I can see that.

Chuin:  The masters of Sinanju kill to promote harmony.  We have done this since the drawn of time.  For example, Napolean.  The greek boy, Alexander.  Robin Hood.

Remo:  Robin Hood?!

The sad fact of the matter is that at least one old version of the legend says that as he got older, he got bored and returned to robbing people even though the tyranny was deposed.
Fan Art

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
"I'm your huckleberry."

Granted, it's not what most think of for Gun-Fu, but it is still an awesome Gunfighter line

"You gonna pull those pistols, or just stand there Whistling Dixie?"      Clint Eastwood in "the outlaw josey wales".   Lots of great one liners.
Invoke:  Automatically get to draw and fire faster than your opponent in a straight contest.
Compel: Your reputation for swift and brutal gunplay precedes you and people are less and less likely to try to take you in a straight fight.   Instead they'll try to bushwhack you.

and who could forget "Go ahead.. Make my Day"    Inovke:  + X to intimidation when a gun is in your hand.
                                                                    Compel:   You really do wanna shoot the guy.  Roll a conviction or discipline roll to see if you just go ahead and make your own day by blowing the targets head off.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
An interesting compel, though a similar one was already mentioned, would be to have the character's muscle memory and training "take over" when such overt and deadly force might be unnecessary, such as drawing his gun in response to a sudden movement or escalating a minor conflict into a potentially lethal one.
Ex: Arguing with someone, they shove him. Compel - Draw and fire in reaction to being "attacked."

As far alternate names and flavors go...
One Man, Six Guns
I Never Miss
Fists are so Outdated
Bulletproof X -Gun-fu on the defense

Or for a more elegant shootist: Waltz en Minié

Also, love the mystical hitmen idea.

Offline Deep_Flow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 07:02:26 AM »
Some ideas to buil compels around:

- Gravity sets back in...

- You remeber the laws of physics

- Nobody was watching...

- You pulled that trick too many times, it's getting lame...

- People think that you are just shooting a movie.

- You have to go through the main entrance.

- It's too easy.

- It's not just yet dramatic enough.

- A puppy dog gets caught in the cross fire, you girlfriend insists on saving it...

- You start thinking it all over again in mid-air...

- The puppy now lives with you and gets itself in all kinds of trouble...

- As the negotiations drag on it occurs to you that you haven't fired your gun in a while.

- The puppy mastered the art of puppy-eyes-fu and you fall for it every time...

- A bullet gains consciousness and starts a philosophical discussion on matters of life and death with you.

- Your old master returns...

- You have to stop a heavily armed man from going fully postal. No, you may not just shoot him...

- Your old master lectures you on getting sloppy.

- You left your luck-charm somewhere.

- A physics nerd approaches you and tells you how unrealistic all this is.

- While shooting him, the physics nerd keeps coming back at you telling you how implausible it was.

- Oh, no Dr. Gun-Man-Fu has your luck-charm.

- Your girlfriends talks you into spending a weekend together without any guns.

- Oh, no Dr. Gun-Man-Fu has the puppy too.

- You wake up at a table with other people who pretend to play a game. You seem to know them from somewhere...

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
Bulletproof X -Gun-fu on the defense

I love this...

All this now reminds me that there was a movie called Bulletproof Monk, which I've never seen, but maybe I should...

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »
"I'm your huckleberry."

Heh.  I was going to use that or something like it if I ended up playing my Cursed Gunslinger character.  Great line.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 09:23:20 PM »
came up with a good one for my snake-gunslinger: http://thrythlind.deviantart.com/art/The-Woman-With-No-Name-157140631

"Red meets yellow kills a fellow."

Sample:

The dozen or so bandits failed to notice the figure moving casual and unconcerned out into the open for the first few seconds.  Several glanced past her, but the woman’s attitude made her fade into the surroundings. 
She simply didn’t seem important at first. 
“Please, this is just a small village,” the children’s chaperone pleaded.  “We don’t have anything worth stealing.  There’s no goods here but lumber.”
   “Ain’t you listening, girl?” one of the bandits asked amidst assorted laughter.  “You are the goods.”
Eventually, one of the bandits noticed the out of place clothing and took a second look at the woman just as she came into the middle of the largest group, within easy revolver range of many of the bandits.
“Whe – “
The woman’s knife slipped out of her sleeve and into her hand.
“–  re – “
The knife slipped into the throat of a pistol carrying bandit while her free-hand grabbed the man’s pistol.
“– the –“
The woman emptied the stolen revolver into the bandits around her as her knife vanished into her coat.
A rifleman and two more pistoleers dropped before the three swordsmen closest to the gunslinger crumpled, various vital organs destroyed.
“– hell –“
As the first volley finished, she tossed aside the now empty pistol and drew her own pistol.
“– did –“
Six more shots fired, and several more bandits fell as they reached for their weapons.
“– you –“
As she reloaded, a bandit slashed down wide of her dodging form, only managing to take the hat off of her head.
“– come –“
Three bullets obliterated the swordsman that had just missed the woman and then another three bandits fell.
“–  fr –“
The butt of the woman’s pistol slammed into the speaking bandit’s throat, crushing it.  She walked past as he fell to the ground choking and gasping.
The young Ryouiki woman and her gathering of children looked about at the carnage in shock before the gunslinger stopped in front of them.
The upper half of her head was clearly visible now as she reached down for her hat.
Under the black, blonde and red hair, her face was framed by a light covering of similarly colored scales.  Poison green eyes, with slitted pupils and irises that took up almost the entire visible part of the orb stared out with a tired, near expressionless stare as she dusted off her hat.  Just under the inside corner of each eye were a pair of small holes, pits, that were matched across the bridge of her nose.  What could be seen had the remnants of an semi-alien beauty that was diminished by long days on the open trail.
“S…s…s…” the woman chattered, now more terrified than she was before.
The lower portion of her nose was covered just like her mouth, and her voice continued to be muffled as she next spoke.
    “Snake,” the woman noted.  “Yes, now you and the brats get to cover.”
Fan Art

Offline Jaxom Faux

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 06:46:09 AM »
I can see that.

Chuin:  The masters of Sinanju kill to promote harmony.  We have done this since the drawn of time.  For example, Napolean.  The greek boy, Alexander.  Robin Hood.

Remo:  Robin Hood?!

bonus nerd lore for that quote, love that movie. but i thought korea wasn't tibet?

continues:

Remo: besides, didn't napolean die in his sleep?

Chuin: WRONG! all of them Perfect assassinations
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:03:13 AM by Jaxom Faux »

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 07:10:48 AM »
I dunno about Korea, but I was combining the stereotypical Shangri-La/Shambhala concept people have of Tibet with the League of Shadows in Batman Begins, which was based in China.