Author Topic: Erlking Magic  (Read 5337 times)

Offline black omega

• Participant
    • View Profile
Erlking Magic
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
I've been working on a Knight of the Erlking but he's focus is so narrow it's been tricky coming up with the elements of his magic.  What I have so far is The Hunt, Death, Spirits, Air.

The Hunt is obvious.  Death since that is the result of the hunt.  Spirits since he holds dominion over certain types of spirits, and air since it sometimes sounds like the hunt travels through the air.  Maybe some type of travel since they chase and ride down their prey.

Any suggestions?

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Erlking Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:04:37 PM »
You have more or less free reign on what the Erlking can do, as we know almost nothing about him...

Personally I'd put him more to the summer end of faerie, because I like the idea of him being the impersonation of Oberon, who is the King of Elves in Shakespeare's "A midsummer nights dream". In the Germanic mythology the Erlking is a King of Elves, so that would fit nicely.

Take Seelie Magic and ad stuff that seams appropriate. Thats what I'd do.

in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:25:25 PM »
Well, in the books he's like a god of the hunt.  Spells that find, hide, trap, slow, improve aim/damage, and so forth are definitely in his purview. 

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
He can also turn people in to hounds if they are predators. That might be a bit much for the game but bringing out a target's bestial nature, temporary aspects to bring out hound-like characteristics in yourself or the ability to recognise if someone is predator or prey (an assessment to see if they have an aspect that matches) would be suitable.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
He can also turn people in to hounds if they are predators. That might be a bit much for the game but bringing out a target's bestial nature, temporary aspects to bring out hound-like characteristics in yourself or the ability to recognise if someone is predator or prey (an assessment to see if they have an aspect that matches) would be suitable.

Hmm, incite emotion effect (make them a predator)?  I think that skirts by the Laws of Magic.

Hmm, maybe magic to change your shape into any predator (and potentially others if you want to break the laws).

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
Well a temporary aspect like mindless rage could be useful :)

Plus, as an emissary with sponsored magic, he may well not be bound by the laws of magic.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
The "Goblin Knight", official unofficial Name as chosen by Iago *g* was discussed somewhat in this http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17255.0.html thread.
He was given stuff like that
(click to show/hide)
in Changes.
Also, the idea of tracking spells cast at evocation speeds was mentioned.

There's some nice stuff there, check it out.

Offline black omega

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
I'm suspecting the character would be just as bound to the laws as any knight of the faerie.  Which is to say not.  So the temp aspect is an interesting idea.

I associate the Erlking with the fall since that is the hunting season.  So the end of summer and the holidays associated with that makes sense.  If I went with that the Catch for him might well be Winter and it's trappings.

I was also thinking of taking Echoes of the Beast (hunting hound) to reflect that aspect of the character.  

And I'll check out that thread, thanks!

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
Goblin fire and Nets :D

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »
I'm suspecting the character would be just as bound to the laws as any knight of the faerie.  Which is to say not.  

It's a bit unclear really.  We don't have any sponsored magic users in the books that break laws.  Not any mortals, at least.  We don't know how the White Council would react.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
It's a bit unclear really.  We don't have any sponsored magic users in the books that break laws.  Not any mortals, at least.  We don't know how the White Council would react.

Normally I'd say that as representatives of other Accorded powers the WC would look away if one of the Knights broke the laws, but in the case of a mortal using sponsored magic granted by a non-signatory I think it is a lot more likely that the Wardens would take his head.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »
Not quite the same thing, but I did come up with a "Goblin Magic" for general Wyldfae use sponsored  by the realm of Faerie itself. My write-up:

This is the magic of the Wyldfae, which few of their teeming hordes master. Swearing allegiance to a Court revokes access to Goblin Magic, and few among the Courtless have the patience to master such subtle matters. It is potent, however, and has the added benefit of having no “oversight” such as is found in the capricious hands of the Queens. The power of Goblin Magic is drawn from Faerie itself.

Goblin Magic does not receive a discount for possessing True Magic forms like Evocation, but instead costs 1 less refresh for Glamour-wielders, and 2 less for those who wield Greater Glamours.

Channeling Uses
--Hurtful Words: Goblin oaths bite at the flesh of their targets. Can be used for Evocation-style attacks, which ignore all Toughness and Recovery powers upon a target who has broken a sworn oath to the caster.
--Invoking Faerie: While within the borders of Faerie, Goblin magic grows supremely powerful, and can perform Attacks, Blocks, and Maneuvers of almost any variety by shaping the matter of the surrounding area.
--Hedge Magic: Various minor effects can call upon the innate Wyld nature of a Goblin caster, such as a Nixie sorceress manipulating the flow of a water, or a Sylph calling on gusts of Wind.

Ritual Uses
--Curse Words, Wyld Shapings, Greater Hedge Magic: All of the Evocation uses can be performed at exceptional levels of power by a Goblin caster.

Banned Uses
--No Goblin Magic can affect or touch iron. Even the hurtful curses of a maddened Trollking can be swept aside by an iron bar, despite their immaterial nature.
--The Wyld nature of a particular caster may inhibit his magic as much as it enables it, so that a Unicorn may find his curses sliding off a virginal target, or an Ogre may have difficulty placing enchantments on things too close to his magically insulated flesh.
--No one who is not a full Wyldfae may use Goblin Magic—not Court Sidhe, Winter-sworn fetches, Summer-bound centaurs, or changelings of any variety.

Offline black omega

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »
Normally I'd say that as representatives of other Accorded powers the WC would look away if one of the Knights broke the laws, but in the case of a mortal using sponsored magic granted by a non-signatory I think it is a lot more likely that the Wardens would take his head.
As long as the GM and I are on the same page regarding this I don't see it becoming a problem.  The above seems to be what the book suggests.  If your group is part of the accords, wizards may not like what you are doing but it's not something the wardens will come after you for.  Whether or not the Erlking is a signatory of the Accords will depend on just how isolated he's been.  

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
Good point.  He could always be a Freeholding Lord, or for all we know he might have signed on as head of the Goblin Nation (or something).

The real question is: how would his inclusion help Mab?  Can you think of a way?  Then he's probably in.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »
Good point.  He could always be a Freeholding Lord, or for all we know he might have signed on as head of the Goblin Nation (or something).

The real question is: how would his inclusion help Mab?  Can you think of a way?  Then he's probably in.

If the Erlking is signed onto the Accords, it means he must abide by them. He can't go all willy-nilly slaughter upon other signatories without the proper backing (and we've seen what doing so can result in). Considering he's a major heavyweight, and it was quite clear that if Mab entered his territory, she wouldn't have stood a chance. . .yeah.

That alone makes it a benefit of having him as a signatory of the Accords.
Just a thought, of course.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden