Author Topic: Rules question: Living dead and Inhuman Recovery  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Carnus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Rules question: Living dead and Inhuman Recovery
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:46:32 AM »
Hi this might be simple but I wanted to know how it works.

A character has taken Living dead (He is playing a Crow like character)
Under that power Corpse Body it says that you cannot recover from consequences and any you get are permanent unless you take some kind of effort to resolve them.

Now if this character take Inhuman Recovery can he heal consequences?

Going by the wording alone I would rule The following.

Total recovery wouldn't work because it says all you need is time and Living Dead says you do not heal with time.
Fast recovery wouldn't work for the same reasons.
Vigorous would work
Shrug it off would work as it has no restrictions you just ignore it.

Does this sound right or does purchasing Inhuman Recovery totally ignore the restrictions from Living Dead?

Thanks in advance

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Rules question: Living dead and Inhuman Recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:56:10 AM »
I think its honestly GMs choice.

In my case, I'd probably allow healing with inhuman recovery, though I'd be leery to let players take Living dead in the first place.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »
What he said. Living Dead doesn't actually sound appropriate for a Crow type-character, it's for people who look dead, nt just are.

Offline Chris M

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
I wrote up a character that was a Dead Like Me style reaper character who had Living Dead. I don't actually think Living Dead is too powerful. You CAN'T recover from consequences, but they (someone with awesome sewing skills) can rebuild you. With Human Guise, it's not only playable, but really fun.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
Personally as a GM if you're going to invest points in Inhuman Recovery I'd let it heal your corpse body every bit as well as it would a fleshy mortal body.  Instead of simply being an animated corpse you have some dark power at work helping you recover from damage.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »
Exactly as DFJunkie says. The undead don't heal like the living do, but then those with recovery don't either and the idea of regenerating zombies/mummies/vampires isn't impossible to imagine. I generally rule that it should only make narrative sense without stretching beyond the realms of credibility.

For instance, having a fire catch for toughness powers makes sense. Layering a physical immunity to fire on top of that, whether due to an item or not, would be totally abusive even if you can make a nice story for it.

Regenerating undead are good in my book :)

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Technically, Inhuman Recovery would let you only heal minor consequences, if I'm reading this right (going by the forums).  Other consequences recover faster than normal, but since normal is never, then that's still never.  Mythic Recovery would be needed to fix everything automatically.  Otherwise you'll have to do some work.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:25:11 AM by Drachasor »

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
I would say, your player needs to consume something to heal. A small to large sizes animal (sheep, boar, horse, cattle, police officer) or three should be enough to heal a consequece more severe than minor.

Or getting more creative, he may be able to pull this off by webbing a public place (cinema, beach, amusement park) and syphoning the resudual magic (created by life).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:13:20 PM by Nomad »
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline Carnus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:44:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

From what I can tell the rules as written wouldn't work. As you can tell from my first post and I agree with Drachasor.  Not sure if that was the writers intention or it just comes across that way with the wording.

But you guys have given a lot of great ideas in creating a new power that would let undead heal, I like that they might have to consume something to fix the broken bits. I also like the idea about a catch of fire as it destroys the body entirely.

Chris M yeah the player will be taking Human Guise also, it does sound like an interesting character.

Thanks for the ideas keep them coming or just add your opinion if it should work as written

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
Living Dead also says that "supernatural help" can heal you. The recovery powers are certainly supernatural.

On the other hand, I prefer blood-drinker or similar abilities to repair consequences in undead creatures.

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »
Living Dead also says that "supernatural help" can heal you. The recovery powers are certainly supernatural.

The Frankenstein guy I made has both Living Dead and Inhuman Recovery.  I was planning on flavoring it that since his body was an imperfect replica of life, it doesn't work right.  He can heal minor consequences fine, but in order to get rid of anything other than that he has to go touch a livewire, or get struck by lightning, or bearhug an electric fence, etc. etc.  Basically giving his malfunctioning body a "jumpstart".

Offline Chris M

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 01:29:32 AM »
The Frankenstein guy I made has both Living Dead and Inhuman Recovery.  I was planning on flavoring it that since his body was an imperfect replica of life, it doesn't work right.  He can heal minor consequences fine, but in order to get rid of anything other than that he has to go touch a livewire, or get struck by lightning, or bearhug an electric fence, etc. etc.  Basically giving his malfunctioning body a "jumpstart".

Yeah, that sounds awesome. The GM should never be turning down awesome just because of rules.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »
Yeah, that sounds awesome. The GM should never be turning down awesome just because of rules.

Well, ninja-pirate-zombie-monkeys riding dinosaurs shooting lazer beams out of their eyes are awesome, but impractical rules wise. :P

Im just illustrating that sometimes even if it's awesome you cant allow it to pass. :)

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Well, ninja-pirate-zombie-monkeys riding dinosaurs shooting lazer beams out of their eyes are awesome, but impractical rules wise. :P

I think I just found the Death Curse I'm going to use for the first Wizard I play...

Offline Chris M

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »

Im just illustrating that sometimes even if it's awesome you cant allow it to pass. :)

Nah, sounds awesome.