Author Topic: item of power-gundam suit  (Read 1497 times)

The Werewolf

item of power-gundam suit
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:56:38 PM »
how would you stat up a gundam?

FutureGameDesigner

Re: item of power-gundam suit
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »
how would you stat up a gundam?
Uh...from which series?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »
I'm not a Gundam fan, but as Giant Mecha/Power Armor the basics would start with:

Item of Power [+2]
Hulking Size [-2]
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]

Anything else is bought as needed (like Wings for Flight).

A human sized version would forego the Hulking Size an perhaps have only Inhuman Strength.

The Werewolf

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »
anyone i want multiple ideas for my solo campain

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 02:09:38 AM »
Give it the appropriate powers, and the +2 version of Item of Power.

Does it fly? Give it wings.

Does it shoot things dead? Give it a breath weapon (hey, if it works for flung monkey poo, it'll work for an arm-blaster!).

Is it mega-armoured? Give it physical immunity, with the catch being guns as big as it is.

Or, you could go with enchanted items. The weapons would be attack items, and the armour itself would be either blocks or armour.

Granted, enchanted items work better for personal-scale powered armour instead of gundam-sized mecha...but that's an option.

Just a few ideas.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:24:21 AM »
Unless it's the 00 Raiser from Gundam 00's second season.  In which case it has one power..."I win"

The Werewolf

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:25:43 AM »
these first ideas i like

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 06:24:11 AM »
I'd say you stat the Gundam up as a character in its own right.  I don't think treating it as an Item of Power is really sufficient (and thematically it is kind of weird).  Something more construct-like makes more sense.  There are a number of good reasons to do this.  First, you aren't a joke when you don't have your gundam or can't use it (like gundam pilots, you could still kick some ass well as a Pure Mortal).  Secondly, since the size difference is so large, a gundam is going to be something encounters are going to have to be designed for anyway (either assuming you have it or assuming that you don't), and you might as well treat it as something different at that point.  Note, this means that the gundam can be upgraded separately from your character and vice versa without creating an odd cost-benefit analysis.  Lastly, unlike the average item of power, this isn't something you can carry with you 99% of the time so being an external item is a much bigger deal than the Item of Power rules were designed for.

Now granted, some things are going to have to be adjusted for a gundam.  Skill use and so forth would need some custom tweaks (using the character's skill for some things like Guns and Weapons), but overall the benefits of treating it as a separate character outweigh the penalties (heck, the gundam could potentially have its own Trouble and other aspects that come with it when you use it, which might fit the campaign very well).

The Werewolf

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »
that is an interesting way to view it