Author Topic: Mechanical Design^13  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Cowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mechanical Design^13
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »
Could a design engineer reduce wizard related mechanical failure by using sets of 13?

i.e. A car with a 13 cylinder engine, fastened to the frame with 13 bolts, ignited by a 13volt battery, turbocharged by 13 blade turbine, cooled by a radiator with 13 sets of 13 fins, 13 lug nuts on 13 inch rims, etc.

An automatic gun that has a recoil spring with 13 coils, 13 inch barrel, 13lpi checkering on the grip, 13 polygons of 13 sides laser etched on the barrel, I don't know much about the twist rate of rifling but put a thirteen there too, etc.

I bet a wealthy wizard would pay well for this kind of custom work. A supernatural engineering firm might do quite well and would be a pretty cool way to bring PC's together. How do you deal with a Sidhe lord who is delinquent on the payment for the Troll Bridge you built him? Send in the PC's!  ;D

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Design^13
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »
We've seen that design can mitigate the negative effects wizards have on technology to a small degree. I imagine that you could design some things so as to make them a little less fragile to incidental magical effects.

However, this probably won't let a wizard use a computer.

The way I see it, this merely shifts things slightly down the scale toward being safe. So a tool that functions 95% of the time around wizards in its traditional configuration might possibly get bumped into the totally safe zone if designed properly. But something that's half and half will probably still be roughly half and half, even if it's slightly more favourable than before.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »
The problem is that the "rule of 13" just dissipates random magical energies. So it'd still be able to be hexed just as easily. Also, it wouldn't have any effect on GM-induced compels to a practitioner's high concept.

I guess it would allow for a more reasonable way for the practitioner to refuse the compel, and maybe throw the item one more "slot" up higher on the chart of intentional hexing. So something that normally was a 3-shift hex becomes a 4-shift hex when built with the "rule of 13."

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:01:26 AM »
If you had lore, you could design an item to resist some magical buildup, and to be able to handle power surges, but you would be limited in what you can do.

Lots of modern tech is very sensitive, and has low margins to drive down costs.

All 13s is still a pattern. 13 volts does not mean much to magic, but in general, avoid electronics.

Get items with the aspect "rugged". Maneuver before combat to put the aspect "Cleaned and ready" on automatic weapons. Get custom ammo with extra clean powder, and smaller loads (if the powder gets boosted, it still won't risk the gun that way). Have the wizard try to hex a prototype of the item, see how it breaks, and redesign a few cycles.

If you wanted to abstract this, I'd use excess resources(over the cost of the item) to resist hex effects.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:42:44 AM »
It's very simple to design a computer that resists hexing. Simply include tiny pieces of Mordite in the design, enough to absorb random energies.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »
The problem is that the "rule of 13" just dissipates random magical energies. So it'd still be able to be hexed just as easily. Also, it wouldn't have any effect on GM-induced compels to a practitioner's high concept.
On top of that it wasn't just get sets of 13 of something and you're done.  IIRC the pillars and tables were placed at just the right spots in the middle of the room, which did more than just interrupt random magic; it interrupted the normal working function of the room itself by breaking up the normal open lines of sight and forcing people to wind their way through them to move across it.  Just imagine that place completely full and what would happen if everyone got up at once and started a panicked rush for the exit.

So get a look at the internal workings of a gun and try to imagine what you'd have to do to put 13 extra bolts through the internal mechanism and still have it function.  I see the gun getting so complex that the merest physical jolt wouldn't jam something, much less the stress of firing it even once.  In addition, the design of the pub didn't prevent any magic from hitting the pub, it just prevented it from hitting anyone else.  Don't think of the gun as the pub, it's actually one of the customers; the protection needs to be separate from the gun and around it, like a Faraday cage to shield an electronic device from EMP.

Given Dresden's comment that random hexing mostly affects post WW2 stuff, I'd say that most service guns (as opposed to tricked out competition only "race guns") are already nearly immune from the effect.  The Colt 1911 design is already 100 years old and at least one modern automatic manufacturer made a design at least as rugged and reliable.  I'll avoid the tangent by leaving them out of the discussion, but I know from personal experience that one of my own weapons has exceeded the Colt 1911's original trial 6,000 rounds without a malfunction by more than 4,000 rounds.  This isn't limited to handguns either, the venerable AK-47 design is a 65 year old design with a world wide reputation for reliability in the face of extreme adversity; cold, heat, mud, dust, soldiers too inexperienced to even learn how to clean the weapon, it just keeps going.  The main heavy machinegun for the US military is over 90 years old; there just isn't much need to replace something that works as well as these weapons do, at least for personal weapons.  You can't really get much more damage than dead on a human target and adding ever increasing layers of metal armor to stop bullets just isn't really an option the way it is for armored vehicles.

As for using computers, it should be doable. You have the computer itself in a separate room, which you don't enter, with just the monitor in the room you will be working in.  The wizard gets comfy, drops a circle around himself and uses a wireless keyboard to activate the computer and turn on the monitor; which he can no longer hex from inside the circle.  The computer ever loses contact with a keyboard for more than a few seconds and it shuts the monitor off.  It's going to be rough on wireless keyboards, but with just a couple or three points in Resources the cost of new keyboards (at $25 a pop) isn't going to be an issue and when it burns out: he just waits a few seconds for the monitor to go off, grabs a new keyboard from the stack just outside the circle, turns the circle back on, turns the new keyboard on and goes back to work.  I could also see a rich wizard with an entire occult library on computer a couple of floors up from his office, complete with staff; he uses an old style speaking tube to communicate clearly with them on what he wants done or looked up.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »
Alternatively, if you're looking for a reliable lightning rod that cancels out random hexing, I'd think spending a focus item slot or two could create a focus and then ground low-level random effects. Hexing could still happen if you're throwing around high level spells, but it's unlikely that you'll be on the laptop mid-battle.

Cancelling a negative effect is fine as long as it removes a positive effect too and losing a focus item slot or two is fine. Especially as it's possible to lose focus items. It'd have to be thematically appropriate though, no electrical equipment as the focus item itself.