Author Topic: easiest way to save a black court vampire and return them to a human  (Read 17716 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: easiest way to save a black court vampire and return them to a human
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2011, 01:18:09 AM »
Double post
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2011, 01:32:12 AM »
You came looking for input.  You are getting input.  If people believe it's not possible, they are going to weigh in that it's not possible.

It's probably not all that important a distinction, but evileeyore is just weighing in as well - he wasn't the original poster: that was The Werewolf.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2011, 01:40:30 AM »
It's probably not all that important a distinction, but evileeyore is just weighing in as well - he wasn't the original poster: that was The Werewolf.

Yeah I went back and checked.

I probably snapped a bit too much, but I'm sick right now and the tone that this thread was starting to take was beginning to bother me.

I'm going to go back to sleep before my claws get a chance to come out all the way.

Apologies to evileyore.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2011, 01:42:39 AM »
I find this thread somewhat amusing and somewhat worrying.

It was started by a guy who doesn't post here anymore. Then it died, last year. It was reanimated, and suddenly it's a hot debate. And it constantly seems like it's about to turn nasty.

I honestly don't see the point of all this.

But here's my view anyway: it's impossible. But if I were to allow it in a game, I'd probably do it through something reincarnation like. Not with Thaumaturgy: actually dying, becoming a ghost, and coming back as human. Of course ghosts probably don't work like that in canon, but since I'm already making things up I don't have to care.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2011, 01:47:28 AM »
It was started by a guy who doesn't post here anymore. Then it died, last year. It was reanimated, and suddenly it's a hot debate. And it constantly seems like it's about to turn nasty.

I didn't catch that! My apologies.

Ah, yes, here is the Entry of Resurrection: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19193.msg1079269.html#msg1079269

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2011, 01:55:15 AM »
Apologies to evileyore.
No problem BB, I've been in a scrappy mood the last few days weeks forevers.

I got my snoot up over the "Canonness" issue and made it a fight about the idea of applying canon like a salve insttead of thinking outside the box.  Next time I'll phrase myself better.

It was started by a guy who doesn't post here anymore. Then it died, last year. It was reanimated, and suddenly it's a hot debate.
I... huh... well.  I didn't notice that either.  Here I am getting all scrappy over someone else's issue and they are long gone from probably caring.

That'll learn me to not check thread dates.

Except that thread I deliberately necroed.  But I had a good reason there.

At this point in this one I think we've come to notion it's ither A) Impossible or B) going to be very rough, probably require a character's sacrifice or at least the breaking of 5 out of 7 Laws of Magic, simultaneously.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »
My perspective:

I'm not in favor of forming a consensus that vampirism (and other similar monstrous forms) is reversible.  Yes, this is an oddly worded sentence.  By it I mean this: the question of whether or not it can (theoretically) be done isn't important to me.  What is important is that choosing to make it possible trivializes the condition in the first place.  A game-reality in which vampires can be (and are) "cured" is less interesting that one in which they struggle to be cured but fall short.  Once the first vampire finds a way to revert his vampirism, vampirism becomes a club, rather than a condition.

That said, here is my shot at throwing out a metaphysical justification for saying that reversion is impossible:

The Laws of Magic (the metaphysical aspect of them) consider most transformations to be tantamount to the murder of the target, because the soul/mind/self of the target typcially can't survive in the new form.  Such transformations are as non-reversable as death is.

The transformation of a person into a vampire is such a tranformation.  When it occurs, the mortal soul that was once the core of the victim is no more.  Such a change is as non-reversable as death or person-to-newt transformations.

We know that it's possible for a White Court Vigin to become fully human, and I would hazard a guess that it's theoretically possible for a Red Court Infected to recover.  But once that final transformation occurs, it's over.  You can try wearing trench coats, writing angst-filled poetry, and hang out at Goth clubs, but you can't ever go back to being human.

At least, that's my take.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2011, 03:14:44 AM »
and I would hazard a guess that it's theoretically possible for a Red Court Infected to recover. 

The rest of your post aside...
It is canonically, explicitly possible.  There are even multiple, canonical, paths to such a recovery.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2011, 03:29:11 AM »
The rest of your post aside...
It is canonically, explicitly possible.  There are even multiple, canonical, paths to such a recovery.
Really?  I must have missed that book.  The novels I've read have indicated that every such attempt has failed, thus leading to the creation of the Fellowship of St. Giles in an attempt to keep the curse at bay.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2011, 03:37:31 AM »

The only RCV recovery options I can see are:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

These two are guesses:
Take up a Denarian coin.
Become the Knight of a Fey Court.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2011, 03:40:08 AM »
Ahah! I'll take this as Fact for now, but what book was that in?

It's from Blood Rites - when Harry is prepping for the "raid the Black Court Hideout" part.

So what do you think would be required to unRenfeild a Renfeild if it were possible?

I don't - simply because Mind Magic is one of the least developed fields in the books.  Maybe something on a godling's level could do it - but below that? No published wizard even comes close to having the knowledge to know where to start.

I say godling because the White God's power (as channeled by his Saints) couldn't heal the Renfeilds, so I'm thinking no mortal can do it.

I can easily understand the Merlin declaring them unsalvageable.  I would.

Not the current 'Merlin' - aka the head of the White Council, but the original Merlin (man who forged the White Council and handed out at least one of the Swords of the Cross).  He doesn't strike me as someone who would give up without exhausting all possibilities.

That's extraordinarily unhelpful.

Did you bother to read the second sentence? Seriously, what's the difference between turning a Vampire (an unliving thing) to a human if it works when you turn a human to unliving stone and back again?

Richard

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2011, 03:41:35 AM »
The only RCV recovery options I can see are:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

A third way was hinted at in Changes, but Harry's Godmother wasn't to explain how it might work for anything that Harry was willing to pay.

Richard

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2011, 06:43:08 AM »
Not the current 'Merlin' - aka the head of the White Council, but the original Merlin (man who forged the White Council and handed out at least one of the Swords of the Cross).  He doesn't strike me as someone who would give up without exhausting all possibilities.

All possibilities available to him and coming at a cost he would be willing to pay.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
I'm not in favor of forming a consensus that vampirism (and other similar monstrous forms) is reversible.  Yes, this is an oddly worded sentence.  By it I mean this: the question of whether or not it can (theoretically) be done isn't important to me.  What is important is that choosing to make it possible trivializes the condition in the first place.  A game-reality in which vampires can be (and are) "cured" is less interesting that one in which they struggle to be cured but fall short.  Once the first vampire finds a way to revert his vampirism, vampirism becomes a club, rather than a condition.
Not belittling you:  You never played White Wolf's Vampire : The Masquerade or Requiem, have you?

If becoming mortal again is flatly impossible, there is no reason to struggle for it.  If your Meta-premise for the character can never be realized, there is much less reason to really work at it, it becomes a side thing, that hobby the character pursues.  The character won't ever really sacrifice for it, because the player knows it's impossible.*

If it's possible, but horribly impractical and expensive, it becomes something worth fighting for.

Look at it like this:  If there were no way to stop a conversion to becoming an RCV there would never be any RCVInfected characters, or if there were they would the Guy With The Terminal Disease, a PC who is around for a few sessions and then blazes out before succumbing to his curse.  There is no struggle except to hold out as long as possible.  However since the Infected can hold out seemingly forever, they are instead more complex and more conflicted about their natures.  Sure, you can still play it as a Terminal Patient mindset, nothing stopping you, but you've got options.

Same with the BCV.  If a players loved one gets converted to get at him (Or Renfielded), telling the player "She's Dead Jim", means the player has only the two choices of Destroy My Love The Monster and Go Crazy And Join Her.  If the player thinks they're saveable, they have a third option, Fight To Save Them.

One of the reasons I'm really liking FATE is it's "Never Say No" attitude.

*Yes, I'm speaking in generalities, yes I know, every Player is different and some certianly will fight even if it is flatly impossible.
It's from Blood Rites - when Harry is prepping for the "raid the Black Court Hideout" part.
Thanks, I just re-read that section.

Did you bother to read the second sentence? Seriously, what's the difference between turning a Vampire (an unliving thing) to a human if it works when you turn a human to unliving stone and back again?
Seriously?  Cost.

The discussion (not our slapfest) was on how and how much cost.  Deciding "Sure, if it's possible it's as easy as killing someone" isn't really moving the discussion forward.  It's dismissing it.

Regardless, so if you think it's as easy as turning someone to stone and back, what would you consider to be necessary to Unstone someone?  Keeping in mind they've now been killed by becoming stone...

Saying nothing of the "Dark magics" the BCV are supposedly filled and animated with.

All possibilities available to him and coming at a cost he would be willing to pay.
Exactly.  We are told "It's impossible" by characters who likely have no reason to question Tradition. Or, whom have but haven't discovered a method (the case of Bob discussing Renfeilds).

I always question Tradition because it is so often inaccurate.  Even if there are good reasons to not do something, simply calling it impossible is erroneous to my way of thinking.

@ Richard_Chilton:  I consider there to be a vast difference between "impossible" and "incalculably/prohibitively expensive".  On Cannot Be Done, the other Should Not Be Done.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
I see the process as being something uncertain and in stages.  Like, after a huge amount of work (say at least a major milestone dedicated to it) you could taske a resisting BCV and make something human like out of it with the memories of that BCV.  You'd have to break some of the Laws of Magic to do it, and the human would in noticeable ways be different from what that person was before the change.  I'd also say it would be easier to turn a Wizard into someone that can't cast magic against their will.