Author Topic: Crafting Foci  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting Foci
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »
I was under the impression that blocks created by enchanted items lasted the whole exchange (just like regular evocation blocks) and that you could also use evocation to extend the effect if you wanted to, just like any other evocation block. 

I'm with you here, you're entirely right. The discussion is about when it gets beaten.

In addition, (I think) if your (enchanted item) block was overcome, you could use the enchanted item again to generate a new block against following attacks.

This is the bit under discussion. Looking at the rules, I guess that technically works, but I'm not sure I'd allow it.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »
This is the bit under discussion. Looking at the rules, I guess that technically works, but I'm not sure I'd allow it.

From Here

Quote from: Crusher_Bob
Rules questions:

* Can you use a defensive item again to generate another block?
    * What about using it again as armor against another attack?
    * Can you use two defensive items at once, one to block and one to provide armor?

Quote from: Deadmanwalking
In answer to the questions regarding such items: Yes, you can do all those things.

;D

Were there any more discussion about defensive items I missed in between where some new ideas were thrown out?
------

But even without that, I'd come down on the side of PC survivability, they can generate as many blocks a round as they can pay stress (or enchanted item uses, or whatever) for.  Besides, how can the bad guy risk mouthing off if it's that easy for the PC party to break his defenses and then gang-stomp him?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
Were there any more discussion about defensive items I missed in between where some new ideas were thrown out?

Nope, not really. Maybe I'm just in a weird mood tonight, but I'm also not really discussing whether it's legal (as I was then, and which it clearly is), I'm discussing whether I'd allow it in my own games, which is alot iffier.

Still, upon further reflection I probably would allow it...but as stated that'll run things down quick and potentially draw alot of fire.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
Do note that you don't have to block against an attacker's attack. Instead of trying to stop a master evoker's main blast, do a Veil to block his perception instead, like Molly often does.

Generally speaking attacks could be as high as +10, easy. A perception roll not only is usually much lower because it is a secondary skill and lacks focus/specialization bonus but it usually can't be boosted through aspect invokation-most people don't have aspects for being very perceptive.

Offline Krico

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »
2) A focused Practitioner with Thaumaturgy (Crafting Frequency +1 and Crafting Power Focus +2), Refinement 2 ( Crafting Power Specialization +2, 4 item slots), has 4 items at power 8, 2 uses/day.

I was kind of curious about this actually. Since when making an item one shift of power = two more uses would crafting frequency +1 mean one more use or two more?

Also, where did you get power spec +2? I was under the impression that the specializations only give +1 each time their taken, and if you read in the templates you can only take the refinement for specialization as a full wizard since it reflects training.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »
Crafting Frequency only increases uses by 1.

A Refinement gives two +1 bonuses. Refinement x2 would give four +1 bonuses. As for taking it only as a full wizard, that's if you are one of the normal spellcasting templates. You can be something else, such as a scion. My "Mandarin" conversion to DFRPG gets his power from artifacts infused with draconic power for example. Someone like a hedge witch (if such things exist if DF) could get her Thaumaturgy powers from an ancient Book Of Shadows passed down the family at every new generation (think 'Charmed')