Author Topic: Character Question  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
Character Question
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »
Okay, I was thinking of a character who basically collects minor items that provide him with different powers. He'd have to spend a scene or something along the lines of a ritual to attune himself to any item to access the powers within it and he could only have access to one set of powers granted from one item (or set of items) at a time. That's just the mechanics of the character.

Sooooo, I'm wondering how I should do that? I had thought maybe Modular Abilities with a [+1] due to it being a full scene to change and not having options beyond what would be defined at the beginning and doled out by the GM, but I'm wondering what people would think would be the most appropriate - or if they would find it appropriate in the slightest.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Character Question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »
Item of Power covering Modular Abilities?

You might be able to throw in another +1 for requiring a scene to change your abilities, although that's obviously a GM decision.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:04:25 PM »
Oooh. I can see that! Even though it's totally different items, given that they are all Items of Power ... hmmm ... well ... I'm not sure how that would work as an aspect as each is different? "My Special Collection"?
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »
Yeah, definitely something like that. Or "Magical Utility Belt" or "An Item For Every Occasion". Something like that.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:17:56 PM »
Okay! Cool! That will work out pretty well. And I think I'll toss him into my Huntington, WV PDF when I get around to tossing together the Dresdenverse of that in my head. If he'll work in that world, which he might not as he's ...

ahahahaha, never mind, he will work out quite excellently, I just realized. I needed another in from that angle of things.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:21:32 PM »
The item of Power discount is applied because by externalizing your power, you run the risk of losing it.  But if he can just pick up a different item to get more powers, he doesn't run that risk. 
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
Well, the way he is intended to be played is that he has them all in a vault at home and he attunes them to himself for at least a 15 minute ritual of some sort before he can use them. And I'm pretty sure he'd only have three-four that he'd have access to at any particular point.

Granted, if he had the stuff to both attune himself and the artifacts on the field, I could definitely see the argument for only a [+1] as all of his items could end up getting taken away from him. Given that it takes about a scene and specific ritual components and probably a Lore test of some sort to switch instead of a full action, as per Modular Abilities, I think he could end up gaining a [+1] there on Modular Abilities.