Author Topic: A question about sponsored magic  (Read 1890 times)

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
A question about sponsored magic
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »
How is He Who Walks Behind able to sponsor entropic thaumaturgy when he has no magic using ability himself? He can't use entropomancy himself, but he does sponsor the cult in Death Rites allowing them to use a weapons level entropic curse. This doesn't really make sense to me.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Re: A question about sponsored magic
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
How is He Who Walks Behind able to sponsor entropic thaumaturgy when he has no magic using ability himself? He can't use entropomancy himself, but he does sponsor the cult in Death Rites allowing them to use a weapons level entropic curse. This doesn't really make sense to me.

he IS the weapons level entropic curse.  The turkey falling, the bricks, the bees the shower door and the electricity, all of that is HWWB doing hinky, poltergeistesque stuff in lieu of say popping up behind them and going all spiny.   Least thats how i read it
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:55:20 PM »
He probably does have a variety of magic, actually. Bt he doesn't bother to use it, so it's not on his sheet.

Also bear in mind the highly speculative nature of He Who Walks Behind's character sheet.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:57:57 PM »
Not to mention that his sheet is only what he used to toy with Harry. When an Outsider-who isn't HHWB-does a mental attack through a proxy, he takes out an entire cavern worth of people. HHWB is a knight among the Outsiders. We haven't seen close to his full powers.

Offline Michael,HandofGod

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »
I have my own question on sponsored magic.  Someone who did not take Channeling, Ritual, Evocation, or Thaumaturgy before taking Sponsored Magic--would they still receive the four focus item slots and single points of specialization in Thaumaturgy and Evocation?
I don't believe in things that go bump in the night.  It's more like a thud...

One, two!  One, two!  And through, and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went gallumphing back.
                                            ~Lewis Carroll

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:27:05 PM »
Yes to the Items, no to the Specializations.

The first is even in the Sponsored Magic entry itself. What Sponsored Magic basically is is a specific variation of Ritual + Channeling, so it works mostly like they do (gaining Items but not Specializations).