Author Topic: Question about throwing objects  (Read 3877 times)

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Question about throwing objects
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »
The problem is that that's a complete waste of 2 refresh if you're playing at submerged with evocation spin rules.  You can easily get a free weapon 3 attack, and if you feel like trying to exploit the rule, you pretty easily get a weapons 5 attack that costs no mental stress. 

Indeed, I've been grappling with this for a while (the temp magic weapon thread) and I had the same problem. In the same way, you could use an enchanted item slot and use it like you might a potion but, yet again, why should you have to when a submerged character should be able to do it with standard evocation.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easy answer. The most obvious, common sense idea would be just to cast it as a spirit evocation and add +2 to the damage... but then every wizard will end up carrying throwing knives, bolas and boomerangs around.

Hey, now a bolas would be awesome! Damage plus block manoeuvre wrapped up in a single sexy package :)

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »
I don't think that's unreasonable though.  I wouldn't let anyone carry around more than 2 weapon2 rated knives and I wouldn't let them throw and retrieve it in one power, so I don't think it's very game breaking at all.

Personally I'm in favor of making it a maneuver called something like "dagger whirlwind or enchanted dagger."  That way it's a weapon 2 attack that you use twice in a round for free then have to spend a fate point to make it keep slicing up your victim as a weapon 2 attack.  At least I think I'm allowed to do that.  So it'd cost three stress for a four stress attack since you used the dagger but you'd have to spend another round using a maneuver to get it back and do that again.  Or you can keep it as an aspect on the opponent and spend fate points to make it do damage again.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:47 AM »
All the attempts by me personally or in general?  I think this is my only attempt at making the most badass character possible.  My other characters were created specifically to fit an interesting story I had written for them.  And as to why I'm trying to make this guy as badass as possible?  Because my GM asked the players to do exactly that.  He wants to run that kind of game (over the top epic, submerged).  I realize he completely abuses the evocation spin rules and trying to give him even more discounts by being able to magically throw knives is over the top, but that's literally what the GM asked me to do. 

My apologies, my tone was inappropriate, and I did not mean to make it seem as if I was attacking you specifically.  Given that that is the way your group is encouraging you to play, I should have no objections to what you were trying to do with it.  I'll edit my original post to take out the negative language.
Lawful Chaotic