Author Topic: Question about Blocks  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Question about Blocks
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
Specifically, I'm trying to reconcile the descriptions on p.210 and p.252. Particularly where magic is concerned.

On p.210, it seems your roll determines the block strength. The example is of Harry throwing up a block using spirit evocation. Apparently his evocation (discipline?) roll gets him a block strength of Fantastic.

The desciption of on p. 252 has your block strength coming from how much power you are pulling in and it costs stress depending upon your conviction score. An exceptional discipline roll doesn't seem to affect block strength.

I may just be missing something but I would appreciate some clarification or suggestions.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »
I'd assume that on p. 210, he was also channeling 6 shifts of power, and they just didn't want to get into the full Evocation rules since this was just a general Block example. Bear in mind that (barring Rotes) you do need a Fantastic result to control 6 shifts of power.

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
What about extra discipline shifts? Do they do nothing in this case?

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
What about extra discipline shifts? Do they do nothing in this case?

That's where spin rules come in if the group wants them to.  The extra discipline can be used to help the next action on the scene.  So for example if you roll 3 or more higher on the discipline of a block than you need to, you can say something like, "I controlled it so well that after the attack I shoved the remainder of the shield towards my friend and he got +1 defense... or I controlled it so well that after the attack I shoved it at my opponent and my friend that attacked him next got +1 to attack. 

At least that's how I understand the spin rule (YS 214)

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
So far I've found the Spin rules pretty, well, useless, however I dont think you can get Spin from a "block", which is entirely separate from a defense roll.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:47:22 PM »
You should take a look at the "Overflow" rules on page 214; that seems more likely to be applicable in this case.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
Mostly, I think the Spin rules just slow things down and I'm a big fan of fast conflicts. If your game is better about handling that stuff and keeping it moving quick, then it might be handy for you, but most of the time I think it just bogs the game down with superfluous numbers that detract from the feel of the game.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location