Author Topic: Lawbreaker and spell power?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Lawbreaker and spell power?
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
Does the Lawbreaker ability increase your spells' power or just control? It says that it is a bonus to "all spellcasting rolls" but Power is not a roll.

And if it only affects control, why? Why would corruption by Dark Magic make your magic easier to control and direct?

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Lawbreaker and spell power?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »
The few times it has actually come up in games, we just went with +1 to everything control, power, and complexity.

Tbora

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »
Does the Lawbreaker ability increase your spells' power or just control? It says that it is a bonus to "all spellcasting rolls" but Power is not a roll.

And if it only affects control, why? Why would corruption by Dark Magic make your magic easier to control and direct?

I find it easier to treat it as a straight bonus for everything, and thematically it does a lot to represent the comparatively 'quick and dirty' gain using Dark Magic gives you.

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »
From the text it looks like only control, but I would also give the bonus to power and complexity.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »

As written it's only control rolls but that said i could see it adding to power and complexity to represent the increased power of darkness (like the others have said). My only problem with adding to the power and complexity is it may become too powerful for its cost if you do that. Not sure (since it causes hell to a character thematically) but it may happen.

Because your control with magic is how you visualize it (your magic) doing what you want by forcing it to with your will. Thus having lawbreaker means you've twisted yourself into breaking that law thus it's easier to visualize it happening again, meaning your control towards that outcome goes up.

Though again those said, since your conviction is your belief that magic should happen i cant see why it wouldnt give a bonus to that too.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:33:05 PM »
My only problem with adding to the power and complexity is it may become too powerful for its cost if you do that.

The way I see it, taking a point in Lawbreaker is just like taking a point in refinement with a few extra strings attached.  Refinement gives you two points to spend on specialization.  While Lawbreaker gives you three (Complexity, Control, and Power), only two of those can be used at any one time, and you have to pay the price for it by changing an aspect.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:03:42 AM »
The way I see it, taking a point in Lawbreaker is just like taking a point in refinement with a few extra strings attached.  Refinement gives you two points to spend on specialization.  While Lawbreaker gives you three (Complexity, Control, and Power), only two of those can be used at any one time, and you have to pay the price for it by changing an aspect.

That makes tons of sense. I think I'll go with that from now on Nice work ;D
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss