Author Topic: Necromancy: for the win  (Read 4592 times)

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy: for the win
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
Interesting concept. I like!

Maybe your character can establish a link of communication with carrion eaters. Vultures, flesh beetles, worms, maggots, flies, etc. He might be able to commune with them (though I'm not sure how informative a conversation with a worm would be) or control them. The implications are disgusting, but maybe he could save somebody's gangrenous limb by compelling a horde of maggots to crawl in and eat out the dead flesh, but leave the living flesh untouched.

How about being able to concoct magical potions from certain molds or fungi that grow on dead bodies? Or from the petals of flowers left on tombstones for loved ones. The flowers themselves aren't anything special till they've been placed on the headstone; the act empowers or enriches them somehow.

Maybe he can take relatively fresh limbs and organs from dead bodies and transplant them into the living? If he can manipulate diseases, maybe he can remove the disease from a sick person and craft it into an immunization agent to administer to people? If he can manipulate dead tissue, perhaps he can preserve and craft dead flesh into garments (really nice fox pelt cloak) or disguises (wear the face/body of a dead person) or craft interesting weapons, shields, or armor from bone. Imagine a wicked looking suit of armor made from bones; the density of the bone has been increased dramatically, so that it rivals steel. Likewise he could make swords or shields. You could take that notion and run with it and have him craft some really interesting or useful devices from flesh or bone.

Of course there's always the novelty factor: So, Joe the Necromancer attends a boar roast and gets a little tipsy. He uses his control over dead flesh to reanimate the main course, and all a sudden this roasted boar jumps up and runs around the room, apple still stuffed in its mouth, causing hi jinks and more than a few fainting episodes.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »
Wouldn't it make more sense (and be more gross!) if, to see what the dead man saw, he had to put a drop of the dead man's blood on his own eyes?  Just a thought.

I've always thought a nice twist on necromancy would be that the closer to "living" they are, the harder they are to affect.  They still have too much life energy to them.  So very old things are easier to animate (skeletons) than newly dead things.  Everyone always goes the old=powerful route.  It'd be nice to see someone go the other way.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
Interesting concept. I like!

Maybe your character can establish a link of communication with carrion eaters. Vultures, flesh beetles, worms, maggots, flies, etc. He might be able to commune with them (though I'm not sure how informative a conversation with a worm would be) or control them. The implications are disgusting, but maybe he could save somebody's gangrenous limb by compelling a horde of maggots to crawl in and eat out the dead flesh, but leave the living flesh untouched.

How about being able to concoct magical potions from certain molds or fungi that grow on dead bodies? Or from the petals of flowers left on tombstones for loved ones. The flowers themselves aren't anything special till they've been placed on the headstone; the act empowers or enriches them somehow.

Maybe he can take relatively fresh limbs and organs from dead bodies and transplant them into the living? If he can manipulate diseases, maybe he can remove the disease from a sick person and craft it into an immunization agent to administer to people? If he can manipulate dead tissue, perhaps he can preserve and craft dead flesh into garments (really nice fox pelt cloak) or disguises (wear the face/body of a dead person) or craft interesting weapons, shields, or armor from bone. Imagine a wicked looking suit of armor made from bones; the density of the bone has been increased dramatically, so that it rivals steel. Likewise he could make swords or shields. You could take that notion and run with it and have him craft some really interesting or useful devices from flesh or bone.

Of course there's always the novelty factor: So, Joe the Necromancer attends a boar roast and gets a little tipsy. He uses his control over dead flesh to reanimate the main course, and all a sudden this roasted boar jumps up and runs around the room, apple still stuffed in its mouth, causing hi jinks and more than a few fainting episodes.

Wouldn't it make more sense (and be more gross!) if, to see what the dead man saw, he had to put a drop of the dead man's blood on his own eyes?  Just a thought.

I've always thought a nice twist on necromancy would be that the closer to "living" they are, the harder they are to affect.  They still have too much life energy to them.  So very old things are easier to animate (skeletons) than newly dead things.  Everyone always goes the old=powerful route.  It'd be nice to see someone go the other way.

you both had some great input on this i liked a lot of the ideas, expecially the working with carrion eaters since i had been thinking of something simaler, maybe a raven familure for him later on. i also like the flower idea, the closer something is tied to death the more power it gives him.

and yeah in my world the more "dead" something is the easier it is for him to use, but old things have more raw power simply because they have more memories that he can tap into. places and things are like energy wells, the longer something is around the more energy it takes in, expecially death energy.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 01:45:13 AM »
Sounds great, this guy would really be a force to be reckoned wth if he were on some sort of ancient battlefield.  If he gets himself into a big showdown he should pull a Dresden and find himself some favorable terrain. :D
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++