Author Topic: To warden or not to warden.  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
To warden or not to warden.
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »
In a friend of mines game, the gm is a warden, now i am heavly considering a fae tied wizard. he is pretty damn good at magic (suberb convition and endurance, and great lore, displine, and some investigation presences guns, rapport contacts are his other ones that are important) and he had a point, they probably would draft him inot the wardens, espesciall since i squished in seelie magic, (it makes sense if you know his story) but i cant decide, i dont want there to be two wardens, the other guys is vigalnte warden, i havent quite figured a way to phrase min, but he is somewhat spike speigal mixed with a wizard. but wiht his power they would have drafted him, what do you guys think?
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: To warden or not to warden.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:48:44 AM »
Perhaps they've avoided recruiting him due to uncertainty regarding his loyalties (he does have Seelie Magic after all)? That'd be a good excuse if you don't want to step on your friend's toes.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:50:08 AM »
Do you want to be a warden?

If not, the wardens can not quite trust him due to his fae ties.
Alternately, the HC could decide with his fae ties, he is too valuable as an emissary to risk as a warden.

Or he could just have the wrong temperament, offended the wrong person, not demonstrated his level of power publicly enough for them to go after him or otherwise have an excuse.

If you pick no, you may also want to decide if you want to be one ever, and discuss that with your GM.

Also, what magic are you focusing on? If you push away from combat magic, you may be aimed at a different direction.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
Yeah i dont really want to be a warden, and it would make sense that they wouldnt trust him (he was trained by eldest brother gruff, and raised by pixies when he was young. but then the wardens found him, had him take the test, and voila). and at the moment he has no refinments, so he doesnt really have an absoultue area yet, i am probably going to take two refinemants next milestone one in comabat, and the other in tahumaturgy,(but i see him as a little bit of both, seeing as he has suberb conviction and endurance, great lore and discpline)
this is a character i look foward to playing, and seeing grow.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
How'd you fit in Seelie Magic? It's -4 and the minimum cost of a wizard is -7.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »
Fairly certain you get discounts for having Evocation and Thaumaturgy(-1 each) so it becomes a -2 ability, totally for -9 with Wizard stuff

And your assuming they're playing with one of the standard starting refresh costs.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:42:30 PM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline kjpowers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Profile - The Roosevelt Institution
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
Here's my issue with the Wardens - not every badass Wizard is, or should be, wearing a Grey cloak. The Warden's are the police/soldiers of the Council, and as such their ability to act outside of that role is very, very limited. We've thus far seen the Council, and the Wardens, largely through the eyes of Harry Dresden, one of the top 20 most powerful spellslingers in the world (by his own estimation). Remember, if many on the Council had their way, his head would be bouncing on the floor in some abandoned warehouse.

Harry is a Warden because it was politically advantageous for him to become one, not because of his great power or skill. Just because your character is powerful doesn't mean the cloak is for them.

Now, the question I have to ask is: does your character owe anything to the Council? Does he feel a kind of deep, abiding respect for the Laws of Magic and the established role of Wizards in society? If the answer is yes, then I say put on the uniform. I would say the same thing to any young person who felt like serving their country was so important to them that they enlist in the military, or that protecting their community was so important to them that they put on a badge and a bulletproof vest.

Keep in mind, though, that many people serve their country and their community in very important ways without ever enlisting or putting on that badge.

Are there other reasons why one joins the Wardens/military/police? Sure, and maybe that works for your character. Regardless of the justification, everyone who wears the uniform has to follow the rules. If following the rules is something your character is about, awesome. But don't think you can jump into the never-never and consort with Summer without many on the Council trying to use you as a pawn.

Personally, I say keep the Cloak off, and create an equally badass NPC Warden who is a sometimes friend/sometimes foe. Just my 2 cents, though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:47:23 PM by kjpowers »
"It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things. "

-President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »
Fairly certain you get discounts for having Evocation and Thaumaturgy(-1 each) so it becomes a -2 ability, totally for -9 with Wizard stuff

And your assuming they're playing with one of the standard starting refresh costs.

According to the Wizard templete it lists it as -7, and I'm not sure if Seelie magic gets a break because of a catch or something and I know he's playing submerged, because I'm the GM for that game. I really like the idea of it so long as the refresh thing can work out.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
According to the Wizard templete it lists it as -7, and I'm not sure if Seelie magic gets a break because of a catch or something and I know he's playing submerged, because I'm the GM for that game. I really like the idea of it so long as the refresh thing can work out.
See you had information I didn't have  :P

But yes, Seelie and Unseelie get discounts if the person has access to other "true magics" i.e. Evocation and Thaumaturgy. Says so in their notes in the powers chapter. Also you mentioned a Catch, but as far as I know he doesn't need a Catch unless he's taken a Toughness or Recovery power.

Seelie Magic [-2]; -2 discount because of Evocation and Thaumaturgy
Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
The Sight [-1]
Soulgaze [-0]

-9 Refresh

Or he could theoretically be a custom "Summer Wizard" template.

Seelie Magic [-3]; -1 discount because of Thaumaturgy
Thaumaturgy [-3]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
The Sight [-1]
Soulgaze [-0]

Seelie magic could/would probably cover all his evocation spells and now he's a -7 Refresh character again. If he went this route I might allow him the specialization bonus and focus slots that normally come with Evocation if he said he promised to never take Evocation or Channeling.

Another option would be to not have Seelie Magic at all and just have Evocation with all the elements associated with Summer (Fire, Earth, Spirit[light])
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:08:34 PM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »
mal lucks right dude, it counts as -2, if you look at the knoght of the fae courts, it says that. look at eldest brother gruff, same thing, it explains itself too, so yep it squeezes in.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »
See you had information I didn't have  :P

But yes, Seelie and Unseelie get discounts if the person has access to other "true magics" i.e. Evocation and Thaumaturgy. Says so in their notes in the powers chapter. Also you mentioned a Catch, but as far as I know he doesn't need a Catch unless he's taken a Toughness or Recovery power.

Seelie magic could/would probably cover all his evocation spells and now he's a -7 Refresh character again. If he went this route I might allow him the specialization bonus and focus slots that normally come with Evocation if he said he promised to never take Evocation or Channeling.

Another option would be to not have Seelie Magic at all and just have Evocation with all the elements associated with Summer (Fire, Earth, Spirit[light])

Ah, my book is down in my car right now, and I'm far too lazy to go and get it, but that makes sense, and I approve :D

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »
Let us know what you two decide, now I'm interested what option your going to choose  :P

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
So enj, which would you prefer? as i have nothing to do now i intend to do all the tech stuff and finish the seres off. do you like the idea of the discount or me taking seelie magic instead of evocation?

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
Take Seelie magic alone with Evocation and make sure there's an aspect in there somewhere that emphasizes the use of Seelie magic. If for no other reason that it might make a handy compel or a bonus when you use Seelie magic over evocation.

But I'm nixing the use of "trained by Eldest Brother Gruff"

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 01:45:50 AM »
BY GOD!, how did you know that i had intened him to be trained by eldest brother gruff! but i agree, it would not make much sense, and okey dokes. do you mind that he is from egypt? i know it is outlandish but it's cool, and it would make sense that the nevernever is heavy there, also wizards, because magic is very heavy to their culture, and i could explain why he is in san fran now