Author Topic: Quick Question about death curses.  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Quick Question about death curses.
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
Okay so I have a session tomorrow and we are coming up to the end of the story arc and everyone in my group is going to be fighting a dark sorcerer who got a little too god complexy. Well I ruled in my game that sorcerers can get death curses provided they have thaumaturgy. But the problem is when he goes(its almost guarenteed but injurelessly? Ha!) He is gonna want to throw a death curse at them(they all seem to have magicly forgotten about death curses even though Ive warned them time and time again) So i was wondering how he would throw his death curse? I mean i was thinking he would attempt to kill them instantly with it(sorta like Sells tear your heart out spell) or at least give them a terrible aspect(i have some question about how to stat it up but this is more important right now) but the only versions of these spells i have seen are single target. Can they be made multiple target or if he wants to kill them am i better going with an enhanced evocation type of deal against them?
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question about death curses.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
Apply the normal Evocation modifier for targetting everyone in a zone. It's two shifts, and should do the trick. It won't work for bloodline curses or anything like that but kill-you-all right now? Sure. That means you'll need 38 shifts for the Victor Sells effect.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:44:47 PM »
I wouldn't do it as a straight up evocation effect, unless you really really want to kill a character.  Make it a special effect plot device that does something subtle, like putting a secret aspect on the characters that you can compel a lot.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »
I wouldn't do it as a straight up evocation effect, unless you really really want to kill a character.  Make it a special effect plot device that does something subtle, like putting a secret aspect on the characters that you can compel a lot.

Thats one of my two other main delimma's. One is do i kill them for failing to prepare, cripple them, or just alter their fate for the worse? The second is how would i go about statting it up for sure? I have some ideas i think are good ones and ill post them here in a little but i'm eating right now lol.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:19 PM »
If you want to kill them, stat the spell out like deadmanwalking suggests, at 38 shifts.  If you want to just seriously injure them, you can do something closer to 30 shifts.  If you want to do something more plot devicey, don't stat it up at all.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »
If you want to kill them, stat the spell out like deadmanwalking suggests, at 38 shifts.  If you want to just seriously injure them, you can do something closer to 30 shifts.  If you want to do something more plot devicey, don't stat it up at all.

Thanks for the advice ;D The evil sorcerer somehow tapped outsider mojo so i'm wondering if i should place like a hidden aspect "hunted by outsiders" or something like that on them.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:58:40 PM »

This. At 30 shifts they'll have the choice of Extreme Consequences or death. And if it's more subtle you can still stat it up, just do, say, the normal Entropy Curse, adjust duration to 'several mortal lifetimes' (to last a Wizard's whole life) and maybe adjust what Aspect it gives.

Whatever you do, do make sure the villain in question could pull it off using the Death Curse rules. nothing annoys players more in my experience than getting arbitrarily screwed by the GM. If it's within the rules and they've been warned it's not arbitrary and likely to result in less in the way of hard feelings.

Thanks for the advice ;D The evil sorcerer somehow tapped outsider mojo so i'm wondering if i should place like a hidden aspect "hunted by outsiders" or something like that on them.

Absolutely. That sounds like a perfect Death Curse. Just figure out how he's going to word it ("Lord, hunt them down." comes to mind) and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:00:54 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »
Thats one of my two other main delimma's. One is do i kill them for failing to prepare, cripple them, or just alter their fate for the worse? The second is how would i go about statting it up for sure? I have some ideas i think are good ones and ill post them here in a little but i'm eating right now lol.

To some degree it depends on who the caster is and what he specializes in, but lets assume hes primarily a spirit/thaumaturge. with a lore of 4 Great, Disciplone of 4 Great and +2 in control bonuses.

If his desired affect is the victor sells like heart explosion spell he needs. 38 shifts to garentee it works [ im trusting deads math here] To invoke a death curse you essentially use up all of your remaining physical consequence slots. but you said hes not gonna go down without a fight. so im going to arbitrarily assume that the sorcerer has already used up his mild and moderate consequences. leaving him a potential +14 from his severe and extreme. add that to his base of 6 and you've got a 20 to work with. if hes got any fate pionts he can drop thouse in as well. but a think a blanket strength 18 attack against them all is likly to be enough to scare them

Summation
Impromptu death curse "Die With Me!"  20 shifts  18 attack, 2 to hit the zone.
18 strength attack against everyone there 
Uses your extreme and severe consequence slot. add the rating of any other consequences left and/or fate points.

At this strength it probably wont flat out kill any of them but it will definitly leave them with some consequences to remember.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:06:32 AM »
If his desired affect is the victor sells like heart explosion spell he needs. 38 shifts to garentee it works [ im trusting deads math here] To invoke a death curse you essentially use up all of your remaining physical consequence slots. but you said hes not gonna go down without a fight. so im going to arbitrarily assume that the sorcerer has already used up his mild and moderate consequences. leaving him a potential +14 from his severe and extreme. add that to his base of 6 and you've got a 20 to work with. if hes got any fate pionts he can drop thouse in as well. but a think a blanket strength 18 attack against them all is likly to be enough to scare them

um not to split hairs here or anything but cant they tag any consequences they have taken when they toss their death curse? so it doesnt matter how long they fight they are still gonna get to use all their consequences to power their death curse.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »
um not to split hairs here or anything but cant they tag any consequences they have taken when they toss their death curse? so it doesn't matter how long they fight they are still gonna get to use all their consequences to power their death curse

I could certainly be wrong. but i do not believe so no. im fairly certain its "burning out your body" to power the curse. so if your already almost dead its a pretty feeble curse.

Edit
I went and looked it up and its worded kinda weirdly
death—all of the consequences he
has can be tagged, and he can inflict more
upon himself if he’s got the space, since he’s
not going to be around afterward.

So it looks like he can tag all of his "base consequences" and then essentially tag them again if they haven't been used...Personally i don't like that but that would add something in the range of 20 to the power of the sample affect. which will likely auto kill your pcs{ unless they have supernatural or better toughness of scary good defenses]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:11:51 AM by Moriden »
Brian Blacknight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 12:09:48 AM »
You're both half-right. They can indeed tag all their consequences (so Moriden's example is at least 8 points low, it should be 28), but they can also inflict additional consequences on themselves for even more horror.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 12:10:30 AM »
I could certainly be wrong. but i do not believe so no. im fairly certain its "burning out your body" to power the curse. so if your already almost dead its a pretty feeble curse.

Check out pg 282 YS.  He can tag the consequences on himself.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 12:23:40 AM »
Edit
I went and looked it up and its worded kinda weirdly
So it looks like he can tag all of his "base consequences" and then essentially tag them again if they haven't been used...Personally i don't like that but that would add something in the range of 20 to the power of the sample affect. which will likely auto kill your pcs{ unless they have supernatural or better toughness of scary good defenses]

Tagging and burning for effect are different, tagging only gives a +2 per Consequence, burning for effect gives the Consequence value (8 for an Extreme Consequence, for example).

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »
What dead said, [good to learn this all now before it comes up in my games], keep in mind that anything over a 24 strength attack is very likely to kill the targeted pc's.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
It's fairly easy to avoid over 24 though. Have him keep fighting until all his Consequences up to Severe are filled, at that point the most he'll be able to get out of his Consequences is +14 plus 2 more for every additional Consequence he's got from skills and Stunts. Add in his Lore and that's all he'll get. even with Superb Conviction, Lore, and Endurance that's only a 23 Complexity Death Curse.