Author Topic: Emotions fuel magic right?  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
Re: Emotions fuel magic right?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »
I'm in constant pain because I have "Barbed wire wrapped around my waist."

Yes, that's a consequence. The pain is a new 'emotion' that could be drawn on by tagging/invoking the consequence.

Anyway, why sponsored magic?  Who/what is sponsoring it?  What's the source of the power?  Where do the debts "go" and who/what calls them in?  Simply put, what's wrong with "TROUBLE: My painful, debilitating disease" - why create an entire 'field' of magic when one always present aspect will do the trick?  Keep it simple.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Anyway, why sponsored magic?

Because sponsored magic seems to be the cacth all term for any kind fo magic that draws power above or beyond the "base", Kemlerian necromancy, and ley lines are both forms of sponsored magic.

Who/what is sponsoring it?

As the precedent of kemlerian necromancy shows us sponsored magic isn't always about it actually being sponsored, its just magic that draws its power in a different or external way.

What's the source of the power?

As i attempted to express in the write up "this power is much more then the occasional use of temporary pain or anger to fuel your magic, it is a complex and comprehensive understanding of how to use emotions, pain, suffering, and sacrifice." In the same way that kemleran necromancy pulls directly on the power of death and "the darkness between the stars" Sadicas pulls directly from the power of agaony and suffering.

Where do the debts "go" and who/what calls them in?

Same way/place with kemlarien necromancy and ley lines, it doesn't go to any specific being they exist as a form of "taint" on the user that is just a natural response from powering your magic wit agony. as i explained in the write up "While there is no sentient force corrupting you all uses of magic require the magician to believe that that spell is Right, channeling pain in such a way leaves a mark on your soul forever changing who and what you are. "

Simply put, what's wrong with "TROUBLE: My painful, debilitating disease" - why create an entire 'field' of magic when one always present aspect will do the trick?

Several reasons, one having it as a trouble could certainly be a gold mine of fate points, if your story teller wants it to be, And it dose represent the pain you'd be in, but to invoke it you'd have to actually have fate points to tag it, and that seems far to hit and miss for me. Theirs definitely nothing stopping someone from taking it as a trouble and or an aspect and playing that way, the method works, for given variables of work, but to me it doesn't work well enough to represent the consistent nature that these kinds of conditions are. [ i myself have fibromyalgia and i wish it only came up as infrequently as " whenever the st feels like invoking it" Essentially its just not "always present" enough for what im looking for.
Secondly to get a consistent bonus we need to pay refresh for it, i don't have a problem with that so we then have to look at how we want to represent it. We could just take a variation of refinement that only applies in specific ways. but conceptionally that's the same thing as kemlarian necromancy so presumably that's the appropriate mechanic to use. Logically using this kind of magic should have a profound affect on a person and would be available to anyone that wanted to and knows how to draw power from pain, thus Sadicas as a flavor of sponsored magic, that taints you the more you use it, and a minor variation of it for those who draw pain from them selves instead of from torturing others.
Thirdly i don't really view this as creating a new field of magic, i view it as making numerical rules for something that should probably exist in the setting by using the precedents and mechanics available in the system
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:30:17 PM by Moriden »
Brian Blacknight

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
depends on weather you always have it there or you just did it that one time i suppose.

The whole topic is about drawing on your constant pain to fuel magic; so ya, it would always be there.  ;D

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »
Hmmmm...  The difference between Sadicas and Kemmlerian necromancy, though, is that the necromancy draws on death everywhere for it's extra juice.  I seriously doubt there's enough pain in a single person, however tortured and/or debilitated they are, to fuel magic to the same degree to justify modelling it as sponsored magic.  Or... does Sadicas draw on all the world's pain?

This is Cenobite magic, isn't it :)

I wouldn't have this in my game.  It's a bit too much like inventing a new power to justify extra powerfulness, it games it too much for me.  Plus, it is so an evil power.  No way you could learn it just to draw on your own special pain without someone teaching you via the nasty ways first.

But, you go have fun with it! :)

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »
While thinking about constant pain, I was suddenly reminded of Episode III when the Emperor told Darth Vader that he had killed Padmé. I bet that added some fuel to his fire!

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »
Hmmmm...  The difference between Sadicas and Kemmlerian necromancy, though, is that the necromancy draws on death everywhere for it's extra juice.  I seriously doubt there's enough pain in a single person, however tortured and/or debilitated they are, to fuel magic to the same degree to justify modelling it as sponsored magic.  Or... does Sadicas draw on all the world's pain?

ill just paraphrase harry when he said there more magic in a childs first laugh then yadda yadda.

what i ended up doing was 2 separate things here, one i wrote up a form of sponsored magic that draws power from pain similarly to how kemlarian necromancy is powered by "death". I'm definitly not argueing that you should allow this into your game, its at least as dark as kemlarien magic if powered by other peoples pains, Also note the prerequisites i gave it, a specialization in either biomancy or psychomancy, two more or less forbidden areas. Im honestly not sure weather or not id even allow it into the game, i suspect that id require at least as good a story for this as i would for hellfire, kemlarian, or soulfire.

two i then added a stunt allowing a person to pervert that magic by only using there own pain similarly to how kemlarian necromancy was used to save some guys life in one of the books.  The only legitimate way i can see something like this devoling without haveing been taught by someone seriously fed in the head, is if the charecter started of as a focused talent, and iether acquired a painfully debiliting disease or was born with one. Focused practitioners are desciribed as Intuitively able to understand how there magic works. so a fc biomantic magician would intuitively understand how to alter his/other peoples bodies and could at least thereticaly use tht knowledge to learn to tap into the energy created by his pain.

Or... does Sadicas draw on all the world's pain?

It could potentially, if you where using a big enough ritual to gather that much energy, but the default assumption i'm going with is that you're "gathering" enough pain to be comparable to torturing a human being whenever you use this power. if you happen to have fibro, well your more or less always in that amount of pain, if your not then you've got to find some poor sap to torture. wrapping barbed wire around your self or carving into your flesh in a ritual manner would both really only be enough for one spell each.

Brian Blacknight

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »
I remain steadfastly unconvinced.  Which is totally fine :)

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 04:57:31 AM »
Fair enough, not really trying to convince you, just explain my reasoning and get feadback on if im makeing sense/ its balanced for its refresh cost.
Brian Blacknight