Author Topic: Questions and a Character Concept  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Draco

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Questions and a Character Concept
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
First off I would love to get some feedback on my character idea:

White Court Virgin Draco Raith

High Aspect: Child of Privledge
Aspect: Playboy Psychic
Trouble: So you Want to Be a Hero?

Powers:
Incite Emotion -1
- Ranged -1
- 2nd Emotion (Lust & Fear) -1

Feeding Dependency +1

Supernatural Recovery -4
- Catch: Roses (Researched) +3
- Catch: True Love (0)

Cassandra's Tears (0)

Emotional Vampire -1

Item: Family Signet Ring +1
-Supernatural Toughness -4
-Catch: Fire (Researched) +3
-Mimic -1
-Shadow Conceal -1

Total Cost: -6

The Roses catch includes Rose Oil treated weapons, weapons made of the wood of rose bushes, or tipped with rose thorns.
The reason there are seperate catches for the toughness and recovery is that one is in the ring, while there other is "natural"
The mimic ability in the ring allows the stealing of skills and stunts.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:20:26 PM by Draco »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and a Character Concept
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:51 PM »
I'm reasonably certain having the separated catches is a no go as far as the rules are concerned.  I'd also say that a lot of his powers (ranged emotion, supernatural recovery) are outside of what you could expect a white court virgin to have. 

Even bending the rules, separated catches is a really bad idea.  Consider the case where the powers both have the same +3 catch.  In this case, any thing that satisfied the toughness catch would also satisfy the recovery catch, which already makes the catch more of a disadvantage that having split catches, and yet it only gives you a +3 bonus instead of +6.  This should be a sign that what you are trying to do is seriously broken.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:43:02 PM by luminos »
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Draco

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »
The only reason I had seperate catches on it, was because it was a power given by the magic item, as opposed to part of him itself. That was how I was understanding it at least.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
You may specify more than one catch if you so choose, but you can only receive the discount once; take the best one

Straight from the rules of the catch.  It doesn't give an exception for having different sources for the different powers.  And even with taking multiple catches, a single catch should still be able to bypass all toughness category powers, or you should reduce the benefit of the catch to something like +1 to represent the difficulty of getting around both the toughness and the recovery at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:06:34 PM by luminos »
Lawful Chaotic

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Or if that doesn't convince you, here is a practical demonstration of what happens when you let the catches be separated.

Superhuman toughness -4
Appropriate catch +3

Item of power +1
Superhuman toughness -4
Completely different catch +2

and voila! you have superhuman toughness for -2 with absolutely no catch!
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »
Another question:
Why has the WC Virgin an different catch, than the rest of the White Court?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »
An answer:
Its not a white court virgin.  But that's a role play issue, so he can do what he wants there.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »
White Court Virgin Draco Raith

Not an White Court Virgin?

Offline Draco

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:20:54 PM »
Your right he would have the True Love Catch as well, automatically, I forgot to add that.

Anyone with an asnwer to my question portion at the bottom?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:23:34 PM by Draco »

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »
I'm reasonably certain having the separated catches is a no go as far as the rules are concerned.  I'd also say that a lot of his powers (ranged emotion, supernatural recovery) are outside of what you could expect a white court virgin to have.

I don't think that is the case. Consider this from the text on Physical Immunity's Stacked Catch.

Quote from: YS:187
Normally, all your Toughness powers can only receive the refresh rebate effect of one Catch, so  you line them all up and choose the best one.

There would be no need to state that the Catches of Toughness powers don't stack if you could not have more than one of them.

But I could be wrong...

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »
I don't think that is the case. Consider this from the text on Physical Immunity's Stacked Catch.

There would be no need to state that the Catches of Toughness powers don't stack if you could not have more than one of them.

But I could be wrong...

It was my interpretation that taking multiple catches doesn't let you be selective about which catches are used for which power (with the exception of physical immunity, of course).  That is what I meant by not having separated catches.  Otherwise you'd say that your toughness power from one source applies when the toughness power from another source is bypassed.  Or you'd just take a single toughness power and arbitrarily decide to use whichever catch the other guy doesn't have at the moment.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
It was my interpretation that taking multiple catches doesn't let you be selective about which catches are used for which power (with the exception of physical immunity, of course).  That is what I meant by not having separated catches.  Otherwise you'd say that your toughness power from one source applies when the toughness power from another source is bypassed.  Or you'd just take a single toughness power and arbitrarily decide to use whichever catch the other guy doesn't have at the moment.

I see what you're getting at. I guess it all depends on how each person interprets the text.

This may be a slim thread to hang my theory on but,

Quote from: YS:184
Toughness abilities require you to define the circumstances under which the ability is  effective—this is represented by a stunt attached to your toughness abilities called the Catch, defined below.

"Toughness abilities require" a Catch that state "under which the ability is  effective."  In the first case they it is "abilities" and in the second case "ability". If it was intended that you only have one Catch for the "abilities" then why the "ability."

As it stands, it could be argued either way. House rule your preferred interpretation.