Author Topic: Necromancy: for the win  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Necromancy: for the win
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:07:05 AM »
in one of the books i am working on the main character is what i like to call a true born necromancer, meaning he is born with an innate understanding and power over death and those things that are attributed to it, but i am doing necromancy a little differently then how its usually portrayed.

in my world there are two types of necromancers and necromancy. the more common type is the one that every one hears about and use their power like you see in most games and other fantasy genre's. they raise the dead to be their unholy slaves, the mutilate and torture, call up dark forces for stuff, and are just plain nasty. more than likely falling into my worlds pure evil bastard grouping.

the other type are the true born, who behave differently. they are extremely rare, to the point where most never even heard of them and just assume that all necromancers are the fore mentioned type. they like all magic users manipulate primal energies, but they can only manipulate the energy of life and its progression to death. which means they can only destroy things not create them. this gives them great power but vastly limits them as well. they are capable of all the same things the stereotypical necromancers are but in general don't, because they rarely have the need, and there are severe consequences on the karmic level. so it's generally a last resort sort of thing. my original idea cam from when i looked up the meaning of necromancy and one of them was a form of deviation through spirit communication or corpse reading. so most of the powers i have thought up are based around that idea.

now what i need help with is that i am trying to find some ways for my character to use his powers over death to help people and not be to over powered. i have some ideas but i am always open for more.

there are some things to keep in mind

he can not commune with or touch another beings soul, everyone that has ever tried has died horribly, no exceptions.

there are no natural undead in my world, there are creatures that do not meet our sciences definition of life and are infused with the energy of death (vampires and other creatures that are considered undead), and while he can control and manipulate that energy and thus them he has to pit his will against theirs which is rarely a good idea.

he can manipulate dead tissue if there is enough of it, but this takes a lot of effort of will and you need dead flesh, which is hard to get.(this is where zombies and such come from)

anything that are strongly tied to death by belief, such as disease, fear, and decay as some examples, he can also manipulate.

if you have any questions or need some clarification just ask.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy: for the win
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:07:41 PM »
One theory about ghosts is that they are psychic recordings, perhaps he can manipulate those, or drain them of their power and use it for himself. Maybe he can lessen the effects of fear.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
no exceptions.

From one writer to another, beware of this phrase. It's exactly the mutability of your supposedly solid universe that will keep your readers guessing.
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:40:59 PM »
From one writer to another, beware of this phrase. It's exactly the mutability of your supposedly solid universe that will keep your readers guessing.

Not really.

If you write in an invisible pink unicorn to fix a seemingly insoluble problem, you'll lose a chunk of readership.

If you write in a clever way of using the rules and thinks the reader's already been told that the reader hasn't actually figured out yet, then you're ahead.  But to make a twist like that work the rules have to be solidly established first.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
Not really.

If you write in an invisible pink unicorn to fix a seemingly insoluble problem, you'll lose a chunk of readership.

If you write in a clever way of using the rules and thinks the reader's already been told that the reader hasn't actually figured out yet, then you're ahead.  But to make a twist like that work the rules have to be solidly established first.

My point is that if you have a rule that is unbreakable, positively unshakeable, and then, behold, someone breaks it, you have a neat little plot line that has a lot of potential.

As far as your pink unicorn analogy...I have no clue where in my post you got that I was suggesting the author do something completely ridiculous and unhiterto referenced. So I'll just make a small curtsey. *curtsey*
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »
I think you should look to Gail Z Martin's Necromancer Chronicles.  I think you'd find a lot of inspiration for what you're looking for.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 01:11:31 AM »
I think you should look to Gail Z Martin's Necromancer Chronicles.  I think you'd find a lot of inspiration for what you're looking for.

is the first book in that series called the summoner if so then yeah i have read most of them.

as for the infallible rule of not messing with the soul, is because they are protected by Azra'il, the angel of death. he collects the souls of the dead and faeries them to their final destination where ever that may be for that soul. and the only time a person could interfere with a soul is during its transition and no one has ever been able to match Azra'il's strength, so no one even try's too any more.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
i am surprised more people have not posted here.

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
Don't be. For most of us
(click to show/hide)
. :)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »
i really want to here your guys ideas on this so i am bumping this old post.

Offline Liger

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 08:15:25 AM »
I know that you want to hear but with the restrictions that you have posted it takes a bit of creativity to figure something out.

That being said the idea that I had was prehaps he could use his abilities to heal.  I know it may sound contradictory to the rules you set, but there are many afflictions which cause scar or dead tissue to be within the human body.  Maybe he can help with that, I don't know how much he needs to have to be able to work with.  Also you said he could manipulate diseases so does this mean that he could lessen their effects if not cure individuals of it.  Or if you don't like that idea then I think you wrote something about him being able to only destroy?  Maybe he can use this to destroy the viruses or bacteria which cause the sickness.

I don't know what direction you want to take this in, but I hope that this helps. :)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
now what i need help with is that i am trying to find some ways for my character to use his powers over death to help people and not be to over powered. i have some ideas but i am always open for more.

Sorry that I haven't replied.  I fear that necromancy is one of those genres that hold no interest for me whatsoever.  Ghosts fall into the same category for me.  There are so many ideas out there already from variations on Ghost Whisperer, which can easily be adapted to necromancy, to Dead Like Me to other television series--all again easily adaptable, including a couple episodes of Who and Torchwood. 

You will need to find a rock solid commercial/marketing niche to find something new and unique in your concept and in your story lines to make it different.  Maybe I'd swing on board if it was a cat that did this in companionship with some Angel of Death or something. 

Placing a time limit on the reanimation would limit the 'god qualities' and put the ticking clock on the mystery solving etc, but lets face it, you're screwing with life/death which is god like. 

Actually on re-reading, I rather like the cat concept.  Hard to over god power a cat...  Its not at all what you are interested in with your concept so it's going into my own "someday" when I'm bored and I want to try something new.   :-)  See ideas squirt out everywhere...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:52:43 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 04:01:39 PM »
it sounds like your necromancers are actually manipulating death magic.

Some ideas for "helping people'"

If he can command dead flesh, he can deal with disease and infections.  Not the traditional way of course, but basically he could 'collect' the dead flesh/things in someone and take them out of the body.  Imagine all of the dead cells in someone's body leaving thruogh their pores along with the disease.  Gangreen, blood disease.

Sounds like he should be able to muck with a Trained Necromancer pretty seriously.  Causing them to lose control over their zombies, etc.

What happens if he uses death magic to remove the death out of spoiled food?
Can he take a piece of meat, and seperate out the spoiled part and leave behind something clean?

Necromancers can't touch souls.  That's a tough one, because necromancy is usually the Magic of Souls. 

In your world, how do you explain ghosts?  Do they exist? Do They not, if they do.. why do they exist.  If the Angel of Death comes and takes the souls away at the point of Death.. is there such a thing as the restless dead?

Why is someone born a Necromancer.  Are there Born Lifemages?  are they opposites?
What does Necromancy mean in your world.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »
lots of good questions here i'll try to answer all of them. and i really like some of the ideas around disease. i apologize for being vague but i was trying to fallow the rule of the forum of not giving out plot of our stories for copy right reasons.

any way lets dive in.

first of all true born necromancers are created by the angel of death. through some fluke of fate they were still born but weren't on the List so Azriel has to correct the mistake. basically these people were literally touched by the hand of death as he put their soul back in their body and that connection to death never fades, though most never realize that its there. that's why he has such a aversion to the nasty necromancy because his power is forged of natural death not its perversion.

as for ghosts, they do exists but they are imprints of very strong emotions left behind by the dead, they aren't whole so the restless dead to exist they just aren't the actual persons soul. more like a really powerful memory. there are also other creatures that are drawn to and forged from emotion that are like ghosts but they are more like wild animals that feed on the energy given off by the emotions that created them.

as for born life mages yes they do exist but i haven't developed them nearly as much as because they aren't going to show up until later in the story. and in my world the energy of creation or "white magic" can be used for just as nefarious a purpose as "dark magic" its all just different energies of nature. its in the same manner that neither winter or summer is really evil one is just more destructive or predatory than the other.

i placed so many limitations on him because i want him to think and be smart and not just solve all his problems by eviscerating people or giving them the clap. i also looked up what the definition of necromancy was and it originally was a form of deviation by getting information from spirits or reading entrails, and that's kinda the direction i have him heading in. he actually makes his day to day money by being a median.

one of the powers i thought up for him is that doing a little ceremony in which he places a drop of his blood (blood holds a lot of power) on the sensory receptors (eye, ears, nose, what have you) of a relatively fresh corpse he can experience their sensations within the last moments of life if the death was strong enough leave an lasting imprint. its informative but not a fun experience, plus its hard to get your hands on murder victims remains. he does not start out with any affiliation to law enforcement.

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
one of the powers i thought up for him is that doing a little ceremony in which he places a drop of his blood (blood holds a lot of power) on the sensory receptors (eye, ears, nose, what have you) of a relatively fresh corpse he can experience their sensations within the last moments of life if the death was strong enough leave an lasting imprint. its informative but not a fun experience, plus its hard to get your hands on murder victims remains.

I like this. Very nice.