Author Topic: Question(s) about spell crafting specialization and refinement  (Read 1660 times)

Offline MrTact

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Full-blown eve or thaum give a +2 specialization bonus to one skill. Levels of refinement can increase this bonus. However, refinement spec bonuses are subject to a couple of restrictions, namely 1) the skill pyramid structure, and 2) limited to the character's Lore.

My question is, how does this interact with with the base specialization bonus? The base bonus obviously already breaks rule #1.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Question(s) about spell crafting specialization and refinement
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:44:46 AM »
the specialization bonus is only +1 for evo or thaum.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:41:16 AM »
What base bonus are you talking about?

... ah, I see; we didn't explicitly say "+1" and you assumed it was a +2. It's not; specialization bonuses are as they are described in Refinement, YS182. I'll see if I can squeeze in some forward references.

EDIT: Except we already did:

This specialization can take one of two forms—either a power bonus, increasing the caster’s Conviction score by one for any spell of that element, or a control bonus, increasing the caster’s Discipline roll to control the spell by one.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline MrTact

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
Yup, that was my bad. I saw the number 2 elsewhere in that column and erroneously conflated it.