Author Topic: Question on the Spellcasting Powers Thaumaturgy and Evocation.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Galeshi1

• Lurker
    • View Profile
So. I have a character in my game I'm planning on running that wants to obtain one of these, but not the other. My question is:

Do you need to use the templates (Wizard or Sorcerer)specifically? Most evidence points to the idea of yes (The fact that Channeling is -2, and Evocation is -3), but little things point to no, such as Unseelie magic costing less for EITHER of the powers being owned, and giving a total of +2 to the cost of Unseelie magic if you have both. If not, why is channeling so expensive, compared to evocation? If so, how would you inspire a character starting in a "feet in the water" campaign to grow into a white council wizard?

Another question I have is this: would it make sense to make evocation and/or thaumaturgy easier to purchase with the ability to use Unseelie Magic.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question on the Spellcasting Powers Thaumaturgy and Evocation.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
1. Technically, the Wizard and Sorcerer templates require both. However, Templates aren't classes, they're intended as a starting point, not a straightjacket. If you want a character with only Evocation or Thaumaturgy, you can definitely make one. They won't technically be either of those templates, but are still likely to be referred to as a Sorcerer so who cares? Making up and modifying templates to better fit your game isn't just permitted, but actively encouraged (see YS p. 72).

2. Channeling is almost as good as Evocation for practical purposes (both give 2 Item Slots and the full range of basic Evocation effects), all you get from Evocation is two additional Elements, and a single specialty. You also get the ability to get Refinements...but if you have Channeling and the Refresh to do that, then you can just upgrade to Evocation. Why wouldn't it be almost as expensive?

2. Uh...what are you asking? If someone wants to spend 6 Refresh on (for example) Thaumaturgy and Unseelie Magic, and have a good explanation, more power to them.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Question on the Spellcasting Powers Thaumaturgy and Evocation.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
I... am not sure I have anything to add at this point. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/