Author Topic: What counts as Cold Iron?  (Read 9118 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What counts as Cold Iron?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 02:39:02 AM »
I kind of like that, Silver.  +1 is harder to satisfy than +3 makes perfect sense.

Thanks.

I like it too.

I still like the underlined portion of my post best, but I like the alternative also.

In most other games I've played in or run (as GM) I've used cold iron as cold wrought iron, but Mr. butcher set a precedent and it makes sense in that universe.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
I'd assume at least nearly all fae are affected by any iron (including steel and other mostly-iron alloys) ... even Mab flinched at, and Aurora was killed by, 'regular' steel, so even Queens/Ladies don't need cold-wrought iron to satisfy the Catch.

It might be narrower for svartalfar and such beings that are associated with smithwork/craftsmanship (assuming they exist in the DV), though... unless these aren't "really" fae in a (pseudo)biological sense but merely affiliated with them.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »
Our world actually points out the possibility of Fae that are not effected by iron with Rawhead and Bloody Bones (on OW50).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:30:27 AM by sinker »

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
I have some concerns brought to me by a player and they are pretty valid.  With the catch of cold iron covering all iron and steel weapons almost every Tom, Dick and Harry will have access to cold iron or steel.
I agree with chadu and Taskill on the 'definition of cold iron' front.  On the game mechanics/balance front:

Consider that The Catch pricing says that the +2 level for accessibility covers stuff that "anyone could reasonably get access to, but usually doesn’t carry on them (like cold iron)".  I think this description fits exactly with the interpretation that 'cold iron' includes anything that is an alloy of iron.  If it meant some specialty forging technique or special mystical version of iron (like in D&D), then it would be worth less of a bonus.

Consider also that Fae are getting (up to) -4 refresh worth of powers for only -1 refresh due to The Catch.  Even if the power only works on everything but iron/steel/alloys/etc, that's a LOT of benefit for only one refresh.  It covers: fists, guns (except those using steel-jacketed rounds), most clubs, fire (and most other magical attacks), acid, sharpened stakes, claws, teeth, and a great many other things.  It doesn't cover most blades, some bullets, and things like steel (but not lead or copper) pipes.

Yes, someone who knows they are hunting Fae and who does a bit of homework can make sure that they bring steel-jacketed rounds.  But at the price, it's a steal!  And at the very least, it means that you have 2 armor and 4 extra physical stress to use when the wizard starts lobbing fireballs (which can't be steel-jacketed) at you, and that alone is worth at least one refresh, isn't it?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 06:59:52 AM »
I agree with chadu and Taskill on the 'definition of cold iron' front.  On the game mechanics/balance front:

Consider that The Catch pricing says that the +2 level for accessibility covers stuff that "anyone could reasonably get access to, but usually doesn’t carry on them (like cold iron)".  I think this description fits exactly with the interpretation that 'cold iron' includes anything that is an alloy of iron.  If it meant some specialty forging technique or special mystical version of iron (like in D&D), then it would be worth less of a bonus.

Consider also that Fae are getting (up to) -4 refresh worth of powers for only -1 refresh due to The Catch.  Even if the power only works on everything but iron/steel/alloys/etc, that's a LOT of benefit for only one refresh.  It covers: fists, guns (except those using steel-jacketed rounds), most clubs, fire (and most other magical attacks), acid, sharpened stakes, claws, teeth, and a great many other things.  It doesn't cover most blades, some bullets, and things like steel (but not lead or copper) pipes.

Yes, someone who knows they are hunting Fae and who does a bit of homework can make sure that they bring steel-jacketed rounds.  But at the price, it's a steal!  And at the very least, it means that you have 2 armor and 4 extra physical stress to use when the wizard starts lobbing fireballs (which can't be steel-jacketed) at you, and that alone is worth at least one refresh, isn't it?

Responding to what I bolded:

Should a spell that launches iron (forzare! or telekinesis type spells) to throw iron at a fae for full evocation damage, qualify for satisfying the catch?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:17:11 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »
I'd say that that type of spell would be a declaration where the aspect was tagged to justify the catch.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 04:06:18 AM »
Thanks guys.  I know your answers do not make my PC happy but I feel better that I am doing the right thing in how I handle it. 
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »
Thanks guys.  I know your answers do not make my PC happy but I feel better that I am doing the right thing in how I handle it.

The big thing is, if he's getting a +3/+4 rebate, he should expect this catch to come up all the time.  If he wants a catch which comes up less often, then he gets less of a rebate.  An actually "cold forged" iron whatever would be quite rare and expensive, maybe +1/+2 at the most.

Also, keep in mind that steel jacketed bullets are quite expensive.  Most "full metal jackets" are copper.  So he's still protected quite well from the most powerful weapons most mortals can muster.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
The big thing is, if he's getting a +3/+4 rebate, he should expect this catch to come up all the time.  If he wants a catch which comes up less often, then he gets less of a rebate.  An actually "cold forged" iron whatever would be quite rare and expensive, maybe +1/+2 at the most.
This.

Also, keep in mind that steel jacketed bullets are quite expensive.  Most "full metal jackets" are copper.  So he's still protected quite well from the most powerful weapons most mortals can muster.
This is relative...it's only a few dollars difference.  Most shooters purchase cheap rounds for target shooting but purpose specific rounds for anything else. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer