Author Topic: Harry's summoning circle  (Read 4639 times)

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
Harry's summoning circle
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
So I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the rules. But wouldn't his summoning circle count as a focus item? He put a lot of work into having it made. How would it aid in summoning?

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's summoning circle
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
I think its part of the containment spell.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
So I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the rules. But wouldn't his summoning circle count as a focus item? He put a lot of work into having it made. How would it aid in summoning?

Established, repeatable scene aspect, used as a component.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »
Established, repeatable scene aspect, used as a component.

Ok so I'm still new to FATE so if a player wants to have something like this how would this be done in game terms? and is this aspect tagable? and does it cost a FATE point to use every time?

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
Ok so I'm still new to FATE so if a player wants to have something like this how would this be done in game terms? and is this aspect tagable? and does it cost a FATE point to use every time?

You have to have a character explain how they came across it. Remember Harry told us his cost $5,000 dollars, that it was made from a fae and it's general shape and construction. So have your player explain just how he had gained the money, time, and contacts and most importantly knowledge of this to have it built for him.

As for tagging it, in general it will just be part of the character's description of his components for the Thuamaturgy ( "i dust off and double check the spells on my containment circle") you spend a fate point to tag it whenever you want to contain something on the fly (i.e. Toad demon that is ransacking your lab trying to eat you)
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
As for tagging it, in general it will just be part of the character's description of his components for the Thuamaturgy ( "i dust off and double check the spells on my containment circle") you spend a fate point to tag it whenever you want to contain something on the fly (i.e. Toad demon that is ransacking your lab trying to eat you)

Sounds counter-intuitiv to me.
If he would draw an new circle every time, it would be an newly created Aspect and as such be taggable once for free...

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
If he would draw an new circle every time, it would be an newly created Aspect and as such be taggable once for free...

maybe the GM does honor the 5.000$-circle with additional "features" or hidden aspects... I would, as harry said it was made by "special" smiths.

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:41:26 PM »

Yes but that wouldn't add the aspect "summoning circle" it would add the aspect "summoning CHALK circle" which any wise gm would keep compeling disruptions to in order to get it to break and would be really easy to do so. but if the aspect you've added is "summoning circle of threefold metal bound by runes" it is far harder to disrupt it even if it isn't a free tag.

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM »
Disruptions in his basement?
Any disruption behind his Wards and Threshold and the Bolt to his basement would disrupt the expensive Circle too...  ;)

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »
Disruptions in his basement?
Any disruption behind his Wards and Threshold and the Bolt to his basement would disrupt the expensive Circle too...  ;)

The Demon stomps so hard it sends a small crack through the concrete of the floor disrupting your chalk circle*slides fate point across the table*

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
Re-read Ritual under Thaumaturgy, p. 266-267. You can easily re-use Ritual components without having to spend Fate Points, because of how rituals work. It's the time and prep-work that cost, not using the Aspects. Look at Sells Heart-Exploding Spell or the Ritual Entropy Curse, both of those re-use the same Aspects over and over again, for the most part at no cost, or they couldn't do the spell at all. I see no reason Harry couldn't arrange one with his Summoning Citcle every time he's got the time to prep, he'd only need to burn a fate point in very rushed situations (where he had to use it as a scene Aspect instad of a ritual component). Which is, I think, what iago was saying.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
Say a demon breaks into your house and you are forced to use the circle in your basement lab for protection (AKA, I dont want to be eaten by a demon), you'll have to use a fate point to invoke the scene aspect (Summoning Circle in my Basement).

If you are casting a ritual summoning, its a component of the spell, no fate points spent.

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »
Harry's circle used to be silver. I think he even had an iron and silver one at some point.
The new one from the fae smith that costs $5K is from Changes and is new.

Offline chadu

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Sock Monkey Press
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
Harry's circle used to be silver. I think he even had an iron and silver one at some point.
The new one from the fae smith that costs $5K is from Changes and is new.

IIRC, it was copper, got upgraded to silver, went back to being copper again, then we got the deluxe version in CHANGES.

I think the Cu-Ag-Cu up/downgrade was a Jimslip.
Chad Underkoffler
Atomic Sock Monkey Press

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
Despite the workout it got with the binder, investing that much money in a circle seems slightly wasteful at the moment :)
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.