Author Topic: Are these good skills and stunts for a monster hunting Scion?  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
these are the stats of a character i made and was wondering if these were good stats for such a character.

Suberb guns and presence
great endurance and resources
good wepons and lore
fair athletics, investigation, and conviction
average contacts, rapport, craftsmanship, alertness and might

Stunts
inhuman speed, inhuman strength, 1 or two gun stunts, that stunt that allows you to use presence instead intimidate, and a sword called Sacrifice that has inhuman toughness with a catch of selfishness and a hunger bar that is fed by heroism.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Are these good skills and stunts for a monster hunting Scion?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »
I don't understand the catch of selfishness.  Does it allow selfish people to bypass the inhuman toughness?
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »
Sounds like he wants the catch to be something he does, which isn't what a catch is -- at least by my reading.  A catch is something someone can do to bypass it.  Not something you do that makes you lose the protection.

You'd need something like silver, cold iron, and so on, I'd think.  Even a +0 catch should be something -other people- can do.
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:49:57 AM »
oh crap, i forgot to write somthing in between there, It was SUPPOSED to say holy wepons, and selfishness, which obviously doesnt work because like you said it has to be somthing other people can do, at the time didnt know that, anyways it says holy items because the makers were demons, actually the sword is a demon, its his dads spirt, who sacrificed himself for his mom and poured the remains of himself into the sword. sorry when i typed it i forgot to write the holy items and just wrote selfishness. my bad

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
It might also help us if you gave some more information on your character other than he's a monster hunting Scion. What's he a Scion of? What's his training?

Also, I think he meant the sword had the toughness? (I could be wrong)
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:55:13 AM »
skills and stunts okay.  Post some ideas for aspects, as that is where the real power potential for a fate character comes from.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:09:53 AM »
yes the sword had the toughness, sorry about that, im not actually sure if thats doable but i think it is. and here is a brief summary of the dude.
His name is leon santiago, he is monster hunter for the white council. he has a trouble of demons of the past, aka his dark side and things he did when he was younger. anyways, he grew up with his mom who was a merc,(hence the training in the guns), he didnt actually know his dad just that he was a demon. so his mom was killed by some of his dads enemys and they were going to kill him to when  a denairan called the darkone or darko saved him, saying it was because he owed leons dad a favor. So the darkone gave him a sword, that was his father, as i said before dude poured his aura soul, whatever you wanna call it into it to surrvive. Darko left and said next time they meet, leons soul is as good as his. so his own dad was his mentor, it talked to him via the sword. eventually was hired by white council to be their monster hunter, for things the wardens cant go after, his story is that he is hired to hunt down a fetch that is being more of a proablem then they can handle at the moment. he hunts it and discovers its the jabberwocky, a bunch of stuff happens and he kills it. thats pretty much his childhood, rising conflict and story right there, give a few sentences or so. and i have yet to decide what kind of demon his father was.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »
and here are the aspects! :)

sacrifce(the sword)

i forgot to write a majority of his rising conflict, but basicly he was tricked into taking the coin by darko and got super infamous and was freed by a knight of the cross. then his dad started trainig him   aspect: my dad taught me that...sort of

aspect: "i have one of those"

aspect: gunslinger

aspect: amigos, (its sorta like hail hail the gangs all here, like those guys in nevermore have)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:25:48 AM »
I think Items of Power can have the Unbreakable ability, better than toughness. And perhaps the Venatori would be more appropriate allies than the Council. Masons with flamethrowers, I'm sure they employ 'supes' to even the playing field when battling powerful entities.

And I like the Jabberwocky/fetch angle I'm a sucker for an Alice and Wonderland references.

Possible Aspects: Fallen Guardian Angel (the denarian), Slayer of the Jabberwocky, Vorpal Sword (maybe a bonus to using attacking with the sword).

EDIT: Even better, combine the last two. "I don't need a Vorpal Sword to Kill a Jabberwocky"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:30:35 AM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:44:24 AM »
I like it! :) lol espically the last one, it could also be "i dont need no stinking vorpal sword!", and the venatori would proab be better. espically since he uses a lot of guns, could be handy to have flamethrower toting friends, we would have so much in common!
i have been editing this char alot and he should come out really cool now. He is going to be super fun to play, i had the idea from kincaid because come on kincaids awsome. plus i like the vorpal better, the other sword was a bit of a downer, plus having your dad go everywhere with you? it would be like "son you beheaded that werewolf wrong" i am going to go remake his past a little bit

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 01:54:58 AM »
"i dont need no stinking vorpal sword!"
That was actually my first thought, I wrongly attempted to "class it up"  ;)

Perhaps your father was also a demon scion, since I don't think a pure demon would have a soul (or be very helpful, even to it's own kin). Also it's common to edit an character early in the process a lot, I worked 4 days on my Magnetomancer but it only took me 3-4 hours to make my True Mortal(most of what I've done today with him has been renaming Stunts into funnier names). Check out the Pure Mortal thread is you want to glance at my mostly completed waist deep true mortal http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17016.0.html

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 02:04:30 AM »
I like your true mortal, except for one thing, military brat. most of the characters i play whenever i play rpgs, would proably shoot you just for that, no offense :), and to add to my dad being a scion, thats a good idea, or maybe my dad was the denarian? that would make a little sense as he is already always helping me out anyways, but i dont think fallen angels have souls though, but im not sure
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:06:22 AM by Kincaid »

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
Just a generic term, he grew up with the military and learned some skills. I planned for him to actually be a photographer, technically I was a military brat... just didn't learn anything useful.

What's wrong with military brats?  ???

EDIT: Not sure about the angel itself, but the host would. Perhaps the Denarian took full control of the body and found a way to sever the human portion of the partnership... effectively giving the denarian complete control, more so the Ursiel
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:15:09 AM by Mal_Luck »

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 02:15:31 AM »
i personally have nothing againsit them, in fact i have sevral military brat friends, im just saying, perhaps not this character, but the other character i made (a white court vampire who feeds on wrath) would shoot you because, just for fun, i made him an an anarchist, but my friend decided he liked him and so i gave him that guy and set off to make my original plan    ;)

I like that idea, i could say my dad is not incontroll, that they have a partnership, but would leon still be a scion or a pure mortal isince his dad was a denarian host? perhaps a scion dad was a better plan

oh and your mortal looks like one very fun character to play
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:33:18 AM by Kincaid »

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 02:44:47 AM »
now the vorpal sword poses a question, what powers would it have?, proabaly some powerful type of cold iron, and unbreakable, any other ideas?