Author Topic: Permission to use the Dresdenverse in a short story I'm writing...  (Read 5605 times)

logarithm.and.blues

Permission to use the Dresdenverse in a short story I'm writing...
« on: September 10, 2009, 02:30:39 AM »
I'm in my last year of the IBMYP program as of this school year, and we have to do the Personal Project, which is basically "do something that interests you" (that's really basic, though). I was considering writing a short story using the Dresdenverse, except with my own OCs. However, I don't really want to get in big trouble for copyright infringement.

Bottom line: do I have a shot at getting permission from Jim to use his story universe in my short story?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Permission to use the Dresdenverse in a short story I'm writing...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:32:40 AM »
Given that even fanfic is a don't-ask-don't-tell status for the Dresdenverse, I'd say probably not. But it can never hurt to ask. Then again, if you're not planning to publish it, even free, that might help your case.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:46:38 AM »
I'd steer clear.  If I could write.  Our Revered Author really has no choice but to be soggy and hard to light on the issue.  And that would probably make him sad.  I think.  Don't really know the man, mind you.  Just my guess based on general impressions.  Anyway, here's what the Site Gods say on Fanfic:

No fan fiction on the list. Period, end stop. Sorry.

Why? Simple.

Jim can't notice it.

If Jim notices it, he has to call the lawyers on you.

Don't make Jim notice it.

Why would Jim have to call the lawyers? From longtime subscriber Thermopyle, in November 2003:
Most authors operate under a don't ask, don't tell policy. If they acknowledge a fanfic (or fanfiction in general), they're taking a legal risk that the fanfic author could try to sue the author for "stealing" something the fanfic author wrote that happens in a book the author publishes later. This HAS happened...forget to whom, though. Bradley? Somebody like that. It's caused authors like Anne McCaffrey and Feist to go after people that write fanfics for their series. They'll have pages taken down, and go after webarchived mailing lists that have fanfics of their stories listed. So, bad news all around.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/mcanallys/

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:56:14 AM »
very well
he's a punk
a crutunkulous schlunk
nobody loves him, not one tiny hunk

I agree, he's a gripulous gropulous groo
He's a schmoozler, a schmigler, a poo poobler too
He's a horridious object, which nobody loves.
He's untouchable unless you wear antiseptical gloves

lol, my son is getting into the old skool Cat in the Hat.

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »
Well, you're right, Shecky: I'm not planning to publish it. But it does have to be an original work, so that might be a problem.

...Lots of thinking later, I've decided not to risk it. Probably a bad idea. Thanks for answering my questions, though. That really helped a lot.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:26:52 AM by logarithm.and.blues »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:11:01 AM »
Well, the "original" part is what would've convinced me, regardless of copyright issues and permissions.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 02:33:39 AM »
Well, I mostly took "original" as "you had to make everything up". I'm mostly just asking because the IBO is really strict on academic honesty and stuff. Plagarism will get a student kicked out of MYP, so I'm covering all my bases.

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 12:28:08 AM »
On second thought, I don't think it would hurt to ask Jim because I'm not planning to publish it. Does anyone know how I can contact him? Would I, like, message him or ask him via the forums?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 12:37:41 AM »
Your best chance is to message him or one of the mods, but he's insanely busy at the moment - just finished FLF a month late, has a couple of shorts to bang out and is thereby already late on starting Changes.

And I still counsel that you trust your own abilities and make it REALLY original! :)

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:47:49 AM »
*sigh* I guess I could try that. I'm really lazy and don't want to expend the mindpower to modify the Dresdenverse so that I can claim it as my own work, but hey. Might be fun.

I thank you, Shecky, for answering my questions so helpfully. Also, thanks, paynesgrey, for letting me know the Site Gods' stance on fanfiction.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 12:51:12 AM »
Use it as a seed - the idea of a wizard in a modern city. Play with the idea: what about a divine-magic-wielding priest? A scientist who discovers magic in subatomic physics? An alternate history where Benjamin Franklin discovered not electricity but a magical "element" à la the Greek elements (air, earth, fire, water)?

You'll run across something that just grabs you and screams, "WRITE ME!" :)

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 01:12:20 AM »
you know, that's a really good idea, Shecky.

again, thanks a gajillion (or 157) for the advice.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 01:15:26 AM »
That's the thing - originality doesn't have to be (or, in my opinion, CAN'T be) totally original, but it's perfectly legitimate to take something that already exists and fiddle with the idea until it's something that suits you.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
Use it as a seed - the idea of a wizard in a modern city. Play with the idea: what about a divine-magic-wielding priest? A scientist who discovers magic in subatomic physics? An alternate history where Benjamin Franklin discovered not electricity but a magical "element" à la the Greek elements (air, earth, fire, water)?

Thing about Franklin is, he's one of these real people who does too much and achieves too much not to come across as a Mary Sue in fiction.

The thing about most urban fantasy, including the Dresden Files, is that to take place in a recognisable modern world there has to be some reason or another for the supernatural stuff to be largely hidden or unknown.  Which I can accept as a genre convention for the sake of enjoying the Dresden Files and books in that genre, but is not a thing that interests me much as a writer.  One of the things I have on the backburner (about 60,000 words done, but other projects foregrounded for the next couple of months) is a world where magic was formalised around the time of Newton, went through a paradigm shift around the turn of the twentieth century which made it more accessible, and has drastically changed things since; there have been four World Wars, and there's a White Russian remnant state on the Moon, where my protagonist will be emigrating in the next section.

Find something you're not sure about, change it, and see what follows.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
Thing about Franklin is, he's one of these real people who does too much and achieves too much not to come across as a Mary Sue in fiction.

But if the character IS Ben Franklin, everyone knows that he's what all Gary Stus ASPIRE to be. :D

I wonder what a mind like Ben Franklin would do today...