Author Topic: Questions about the Dresden Files RPG  (Read 20615 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Questions about the Dresden Files RPG
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2010, 12:23:09 AM »
So the damage is situational?! How does that work?
Knife in a dark cramped alleyway is more lethal than a knife out in the open against a dude with a sword.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 01:07:48 AM »
So would it be safe to say that you could use your enviornment (Dark Alley/Cramped Enviornment) to your advantage by burning a fate point?  This would make it more dangerous than a sword in the same enviornment.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2010, 01:27:28 AM »
Sure, that plays in as well. Locations and scenes have aspects and you can make the most of them.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »
Hmmmmm, so damage bonuses by weapon are situational so I assume armor/damange resistance of various kinds are situational as well.

This isn't something I've seen before, in other versions of Fate we have:
-What weapon you have doesn't matter (SotC).
-Your weapon is just an aspect you can tag if you want (SotC implied, more explicit in some house rules I've seen for example on the Spirit of the Blank blog)
-Subtract armor value from weapon bonus damage value (SBA and sort of Diaspora)
-Some weapons inflict nastier consequences with less stress (the old 2006 brainstorming sort of and some house rules on the Fate wiki)
-Some weapons wack you with an automatic consequence and/or temporary aspect if they hit, regardless of their damage (some specific SBA weapons and how I handled all weapons in some houseruling I did)

I'm looking forward to seeing the exact implementation of another option about how to handle different kinds of weapons, the five existing options of how to do it in Fate are all interesting but all have drawbacks.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »
So, does a Death Curse cast by an enemy add an Aspect to you? Or is it like a Thaumaturgical Declaration?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »
So, does a Death Curse cast by an enemy add an Aspect to you? Or is it like a Thaumaturgical Declaration?
It's ... got elements of that, and more. Better handled by the book than by a forum answer.
Fred Hicks

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2010, 05:13:33 PM »
How are transitions between templates handled? I.e True Believe -> Champion of God, or  changeling -> fey or human? Speaking of which, which template does a changeling take if they choose humanity? How much of the characters has to be reworked when one of these transitions occurs?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »
How are transitions between templates handled? I.e True Believe -> Champion of God, or  changeling -> fey or human? Speaking of which, which template does a changeling take if they choose humanity? How much of the characters has to be reworked when one of these transitions occurs?

You just... do it. Templates are recipes, they aren't prisons.
Fred Hicks

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »
Question here, how does bleeding out work in this game in both mid-combat and out-of-combat situations?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
Question here, how does bleeding out work in this game in both mid-combat and out-of-combat situations?
We don't have a specific simulation of "bleeding out". I could see it coming about as the result of a particular taken out or concession result, though.
Fred Hicks

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2010, 08:58:54 PM »

I'd think you'd have several options.  I think you're saying what happens to someone once they've been hit bad.  Is that right?  

If so, I'd say that "Sucking Bleeding Chest Hole" Severe Consequence gets hit for compels.  Maybe it'd be a good time to Concede so I don't have to squish you.
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:17 PM »

If so, I'd say that "Sucking Bleeding Chest Hole" Severe Consequence gets hit for compels.  Maybe it'd be a good time to Concede so I don't have to squish you.

Despite the semi heart attack you just gave me, I'll expand my question a bit. How do you deal with attacks that have slowly cause a person to get weaker and weaker? One round their leg takes a slice, no biggy, arteries still in place, but 15-20 seconds later, that guys looking a little pale.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »
Despite the semi heart attack you just gave me, I'll expand my question a bit. How do you deal with attacks that have slowly cause a person to get weaker and weaker? One round their leg takes a slice, no biggy, arteries still in place, but 15-20 seconds later, that guys looking a little pale.

I'm a doctor (pathologist) so I've got great knowledge about what hurting people is all about.  B-)

I think you could give someone a Consequence that simulated that.  It'd have to be something like "Bleeding Wound That's Worse Than It Looks".  Compel a few times, a couple of near black out descriptions, and then offer them the 2 or 3 escalated FATE point option to slide into unconsciousness.  If they trust you as a GM they know it'll get good and they'll let it happen.  YMMV
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
 :o That works really, really well. I'll probably use that, I like the idea of a character whose taken some damage for the team going unconciouss because of that, but getting rewarded 3 fate points.
As a GM, they will want to hate me, but I will make them love me.

Ty you 2

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2010, 09:32:51 PM »
It's not just about the GM's side of things though, Scott -- but something's getting missed in the conversation here.  It's the victim that describes the consequence, not the attacker.  So bleeding out is only going to happen if the recipient is interested in that as an expression of a consequence or a concession...  The attacker's only ever going to get to stipulate something like that if the attacker inflicts a taken out result.

So really, you'll see "bleeding out" when a GM does it to an NPC because that's what a PC is gunning for and the GM's all too happy to provide it. But I don't think you'll see a lot of PCs experiencing the same thing, unless they think it's an interesting way to concede or what-have-you.
Fred Hicks