Author Topic: Strange Idea.... set in the Old West?  (Read 11457 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Idea.... set in the Old West?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
Ah. I see. "Those people" need to zip it; the ancient Greeks were already saying, "There is nothing new under the sun." Every single theme has been done already in some way, shape or form. Creativity lies in what you DO with the themes - combine them, tweak them, take them in a non-standard direction, etc.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Danny-boy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 05:11:57 AM »
I am working on a paranormal/western idea too! Not much like your idea here (which is really cool, by the way)...but both could be considered "paranormal westerns", if such a genre exists.

*Matt-D*

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 05:31:42 AM »
Personally I think you have a great idea and I know I would put that on my reading list if I knew it was out there to read...

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 07:37:23 PM »
As for Louis Lamour, he's a fantastic author. I enjoyed "Haunted Mesa" but my favorite book of his is "Flint" :) One good thing about writing a western is that I'm from Wyoming. We've got the Oregon/California/Mormon/Bridger/Bozeman and Pony Express Trails, numerous cavalry forts, one of the main lines of the U.P., the Powder River Country which featured some of the Great Battles of the West, Yellowstone, the Green River, Cheyenne, Yellowstone, and Fort Laramie, the great plains, and the Rocky Mountains. (Come visit Wyoming! lol)  As an historian, (M.A. in history) I'm hoping that I can avoid some of the pitfalls that some authors face due to the ignorance of their chosen historic setting.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm sure I'll be asking for more in the future. :)

If you have any Native American friends/acquaintances that you're on good terms with, ask to meet with some of their senior-most generation for the purpose of learning some of their stories/legends of a mystic variety; explain what you're doing (in a very broad sense; the more detail others get, the better they can "creatively re-appropriate" your idea"), and that, in incorporating their legends, you want to make sure they're done correctly and respectfully.
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline Ghostwheel

• Conversationalist
  • "Chaos has a weak left."
    • View Profile
    • Dark Skyes Academy
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »
I would read it, but im speshul

one of the games my group engages in is Mask of the red death, and I play (gasp,shock,suprise) a cowboy. so not only would I read it, but id prolly be able to get the entire group to read it.

"The line between light and dark is very thin, watch your step."
--Lightbringer Jankar E'ton

"I was hard as stone, dark as soil, and mean as hell once again."
--Corwin, Prince of Amber

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 02:42:41 AM »
Ah. I see. "Those people" need to zip it; the ancient Greeks were already saying, "There is nothing new under the sun." Every single theme has been done already in some way, shape or form. Creativity lies in what you DO with the themes - combine them, tweak them, take them in a non-standard direction, etc.

Just keep reminding yourself that Lord Kelvin... yes, the guy for whom the temperature scale was named... tried to close the patent office in 1900 because nothing useful was left to be invented.

Don't stop trying to do something new, because everything had to start somewhere. If nothing else, as Grandmaster Robert Heinlein once pointed out in "Spinoff", a researcher will inevitably find something of interest, even if it has nothing to do with the original hypothesis.

There's nothing wrong with combining "supernatural conspiracy" with "Wild West", because all the stories you write remain uniquely yours. Whether literature professors sniff out (or project) links to anything in literature prior to that is their business; your business is in writing the best stories you can, selling them for the best return possible and making enough money to live off.

Good luck!
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 05:58:05 AM »
There are also two novels, by Mark Sumner, that take place in an old west where magic is prevalent. They are called Devil's Tower, and Devil's Engine.

What about someone who can do magic via bagpipes? ;D

Nothing fictional about that...someone whose bagpipe-playing really sucks like a Hoover vacuum hooked up to a warp drive can do magic; in less than five seconds, he can make a roomful of people disappear!
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com