Author Topic: Dumb tech question  (Read 4169 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Dumb tech question
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
Okay, anyone know how to get the accent marks into French phrases in Word?  When I try to do it by clicking "insert special character" and then the accent mark, it appears between the letters instead of over them.  This is driving me nuts!  Help!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb tech question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02:28 PM »
Okay, anyone know how to get the accent marks into French phrases in Word?  When I try to do it by clicking "insert special character" and then the accent mark, it appears between the letters instead of over them.  This is driving me nuts!  Help!

Um, are you trying to insert the accent mark itself, or the vowel with the accent mark over it ?  Doing the latter from the appropriate "insert special character" table (the install of Word I have at work has several and a pull-down menu for selecting between them) seems to be working for me.

(Insert standard rant about how Word is the last piece of software anyone should write a novel in if they have any choice here.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »
I use the keyboard shortcuts with Word: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051865621033.aspx
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Infamous as Elle!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:11:15 PM »
I switched to Euro-english on my Windows language at home.  It can be extremely obnoxious at times but it definitely puts accents over things if you need them.
[Insert Exceeding Clever And Snappy Quote Here.]

Awesomesauce is the new ketchup!  It goes with everything good!

Aine

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
Wiz posted this yesterday; I got the accent over my "A" at last.   ;D

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions -- I will implement them forthwith.

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »
No CTRL (see microsoft link) needed to type l'accent grave (è), l'accent aigu (é), or l'accent circonflexe (â) at least in my version of Word. Just type the accent followed by the letter.
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
I never even realized there were multiple "insert special character tables 'til now, but as soon as I located the one for Courier, I did just fine.  Duhh!

(Insert standard rant about how Word is the last piece of software anyone should write a novel in if they have any choice here.)

Can you suggest some alternatives?  (If they involve buying a new laptop or expensive software, I'm afraid I'll have to stick with Word for the next few years, but if there's some kind of free download, I'm open to it.)

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »
Open Office, http://www.suite-download.com/ , is free, and is supposed to be compatible with files in MSWord format.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »
Open Office, http://www.suite-download.com/ , is free, and is supposed to be compatible with files in MSWord format.

OpenOffice can open Word files, but Word can't open OpenOffice. Though I think it has an 'export as .pdf' option.
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »
OpenOffice can open Word files, but Word can't open OpenOffice. Though I think it has an 'export as .pdf' option.

The thing about writing novels in Word is that they update the formats every couple of years and they only preserve back-compatibility for a limited number of releases, basically in order to keep you bying the sodding upgrades.  I think I would have had to pay for three or four upgrade cycles by now if I had been working in Word and wanted the fiction I had been working on fouteen years ago to still be comprehensible.

Write your fiction in a text editor. Keep your working copies in text files. Sticking it in a fancy formatter like Word is fine if you want to print it out there and then, like to send it to someone, but a really poor idea for keeping primary versions.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline mjc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 05:14:14 AM »
Write your fiction in a text editor. Keep your working copies in text files. Sticking it in a fancy formatter like Word is fine if you want to print it out there and then, like to send it to someone, but a really poor idea for keeping primary versions.

From a tech viewpoint, the less formatting the file has the longer shelf life it has.  A plain text file written in Notepad in Windows 3.1 is still able to be opened, viewed, edited and saved in a format that Windows 3.1 can actually use (as well as Windows 7 Beta and even works on a Mac or Linux system, too).

OpenOffice.org can open Word files and even save them in a format that Word can also open (other than PDF), except all the formatting isn't always going to 'stick', and the more there is the worse it can be.

When I write, I save what I'm working on in a couple of different formats, one of which is usually a .txt file, one is the native file type of the word processor and then either an html or PDF file (sometimes both).  My working copy is the txt file and the 'finished' ones are the other formats.  It doesn't really take any more time to do it that way, just a couple of extra saves. 

The other thing to do, no matter what you are using to write in, is to make multiple copies of your work.  Save one set on your hard drive, burn another to a CD and save it on a USB stick or other external device--that's at last three copies.  It isn't a question of if you will suffer drive failure and data loss, but rather a question of when.

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »
It's not WYSIWOG and has other complications but LaTeX makes nice documents.
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline mjc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 02:21:54 PM »
LaTEX is nice for finished works...but most editors are too much of a PITA to use for a WIP.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:46:55 PM »
The other thing to do, no matter what you are using to write in, is to make multiple copies of your work.  Save one set on your hard drive, burn another to a CD and save it on a USB stick or other external device--that's at last three copies.  It isn't a question of if you will suffer drive failure and data loss, but rather a question of when.

I would actually say, at least three copies in at least two locations.  If your house burns down, perish the thought, having to redo fourteen years' work from scratch would make it even worse.